Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 15, 2016   #166
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

My list:
Tomatoes:
Green Tiger
Rebell Yell
Captain Lucky
Blush

Vegetables:
Mammoth Blanch Leek 2016 --descendants of Robinson's UK seeds.
Sure Larger than common ones (supposed for exhibitions)

Mammoth Onion 2015. Descendant of Robinson's seeds

Liberty Runner beans. Best runner ever.

Moonlight runner beans.

Giant Red Mustard . Cool weather crop. Trouble free, bugs free. Great garden performance. For stir-fries, not for seeds.

Flower: Tagetes Lemon Gem...little marigold- yellow with orange center, non-stop performer. Great for edging, mass planting or pot fillers.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #167
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Wish lists are basically for tomatoes. Once all packages arrive, I'll be listing all peppers , beans, other veggie, flowers, etc... Participants will then choose and post what they would like. Hopefully, in a few days I'll start listing peppers (in the main MMMM thread, not here).
Ah I learned something new. How cool & thanks!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #168
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

sending in:
Black Amber
Blue Beauty
Blue Chocolate
Cole
Daniel Burson
Deep Space
Dwarf Arctic Rose
Gardener's Sweetheart
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Iva's Red Berry
Lucid Gem
Petit Moineau
Rebel Yell
Sakharnyi Sliva Malinovaya
Sakhharnyi Zheltiy
Selbo's Red Ribbed
Stupice
(4 of these have <10 packs)

and a few experimental ones -- not sure if anyone wants these
Genuwine F2
Indigo Kumquat F2

total: 157 packets
and may add a couple peppers.
(all seeds are from 2016, but I forgot to add that to some of the printed labels before I packed them up!)

Last edited by habitat_gardener; November 16, 2016 at 09:22 PM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #169
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
sending in:

Genuwine F2
Indigo Kumquat F2
I sent in Momotaro F2 seeds. I think others will be interested.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #170
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Tormato- Would you please add a couple of squash to my wish list. Seminole and Lofthouse buttercup. I grew Seminole a few years ago but did not bag flowers to save seed. Thanks
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #171
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
sending in:
Black Amber
Blue Beauty
Blue Chocolate
Cole
Daniel Burson
Deep Space
Dwarf Arctic Rose
Gardener's Sweetheart
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Iva's Red Berry
Lucid Gem
Petit Moineau
Rebel Yell
Sakharnyi Sliva Malinovaya
Sakhharnyi Zheltiy
Selbo's Red Ribbed
Stupice
(4 of these have <10 packs)

Genuwine F2
Indigo Kumquat F2

total: 157 packets
and may add a couple peppers.
(all seeds are from 2016, but I forgot to add that to some of the printed labels before I packed them up!)
I sent in some variant ones too. I had received one that was labeled a variant and grew it out. It produced one like the label and one plant that was a variant, but I would consider growing any of them out. They all turned out to be healthy, heavy producers with excellent flavor and taste. What will show up next year, I'm not sure, but I plan on growing a few of them out to see what develops.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #172
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

I am sending 14 bags (10+seeds/bag) of Caspian Pink seeds. I like large heat resistant tomatoes. Thanks.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #173
grahadp

I'm so confused, but I'm pretty new to this forum. What is an MMMM seed swap? How do I swap seeds with other folks? I've been growing tomatoes (around 60-65 plants each year) (about 20 varieties) and every year I try about 6 new varieties, so I have had time to find some beloved favorites: Granny Cantrell's German Pink, German Queen, Black Krim, Green Zebra are my absolute favorites. Looking for a good red heirloom for humidity and heat of north Alabama. I have saved some seeds from my best varieties, but I think I saw somewhere that some kind of swap wanted 10 varieties with about 500 seeds--no way I have that many at this point. Can someone just tell me how to find the seed swap directions for newbies? Thanks!
Old November 22, 2016   #174
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahadp View Post
I'm so confused, but I'm pretty new to this forum. What is an MMMM seed swap? How do I swap seeds with other folks? I've been growing tomatoes (around 60-65 plants each year) (about 20 varieties) and every year I try about 6 new varieties, so I have had time to find some beloved favorites: Granny Cantrell's German Pink, German Queen, Black Krim, Green Zebra are my absolute favorites. Looking for a good red heirloom for humidity and heat of north Alabama. I have saved some seeds from my best varieties, but I think I saw somewhere that some kind of swap wanted 10 varieties with about 500 seeds--no way I have that many at this point. Can someone just tell me how to find the seed swap directions for newbies? Thanks!
You don't need that many for any swap I have seen. 50 seeds (10 packs of 5 seeds each) of any one variety if you want to enter a category for this one.

Here is some info: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=2016+MMMM

It's confusing at first, but start reading and you will get it.
Save
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2016   #175
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

As Tash11 just wrote above. 10 packs of 5 seeds each is only 50 seeds.

Getting a pack of 5 seeds of a variety that you really want means that you get a chance to grow them.

From those 5 seeds per pack you send in - somebody may grow a couple or a few plants from those seeds. That person may save hundreds or a thousand seeds from what they grew the net season. I do this myself. The harder to get seeds I receive - the more I grow and save seeds.

Those 5 seeds donated can be looked at as a new origin point "in-a-way."
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #176
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
..... I think I saw somewhere that some kind of swap wanted 10 varieties with about 500 seeds--no way I have that many at this point...
There is a DIFFERENT swap, that requires 5 packs of 10 seeds, from 10 different varieties. So it's still 50 seeds per variety, but you need 10 varieties so it ends up being 500 seeds total from all those varieties. And that swap doesn't do single packets like this one does. I do both swaps.

I hope I didn't just confuse anyone. The above paragraph is talking about a completely different swap from the one this thread is about. (I don't want to name either and have it come up in search results and taken out of context).

My youngest says these "little guys" need to be here:
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #177
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Don't worry about sending in any seeds for this year (save Granny Cantrell for 2017 ).

Just post a wish list of what varieties you'd like, here (as my PM box is currently at 999).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2016   #178
grahadp

wow thanks!! I can save more than just Granny Cantrell's German Pink!

My current Wish List...

Black from Tula
Black Prince
Black Plum
Aunt Ginnie's Purple
Chocolate Stripes
Carmella's Yellow Stripes
Cuostralee
Costoluto Genovese
Aker's West Virginia
Persimmon Orange
Azoychka

Now, I just send you a SASE ? Is that all? I dont understand how you keep up with all of this!
Thanks so much for including me, and I'd very happy to just get Black from Tula or Black Prince!
Old November 27, 2016   #179
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
wow thanks!! I can save more than just Granny Cantrell's German Pink!

My current Wish List...

Black from Tula
Black Prince
Black Plum
Aunt Ginnie's Purple
Chocolate Stripes
Carmella's Yellow Stripes
Cuostralee
Costoluto Genovese
Aker's West Virginia
Persimmon Orange
Azoychka

Now, I just send you a SASE ? Is that all? I dont understand how you keep up with all of this!
Thanks so much for including me, and I'd very happy to just get Black from Tula or Black Prince!
That would need to be a big PADDED envelope with a list inside of the varieties that you want, return postage stamps, and a sticky label with your address so that Gary can re-use the big envelope and stuff it FULL of goodies. You're going to LOVE this .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2016   #180
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Now, I just send you a SASE ? Is that all?
Here is a good write up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
It has come to my attention that some people need some clarification on what to send in to Gary.

The first thing needed is a 6x9 inch Bubble Mailer. Inside the mailer the very first item to put in is your return postage. Then include a Self-Addressed label that he can use to send your same envelope back to you. That means that the label should be as big as the space that you use to address the envelope to Gary. Once that is done, make a copy of your WISH LIST. This MUST be alphabetized. After it is alphabetically in order, then number the varieties in order of your preference. If you are requesting SunGold or SunSugar write that on your list and include a $1 donation for each pack. If you are being sponsored, then you are done and can mail your envelope off to Gary.

If you are also sending in seeds please make an alphabetical list of what you are sending in. List how many packages and what category they are to go in or if they are for bonus seeds. If you are Sponsoring someone, then also state who it is and which seeds are sent in on their behalf. Do not use any staples or paperclips to keep your packs organized. Just put them in the envelope as is.

Once you have double checked your package twice for postage, label, seeds, donations and lists then you are ready to send it in to Gary.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote