Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2007   #166
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeH View Post
I have been taking in some of my unusual ones for a taste testing at work.

One of the ones I took in today was a Cherokee Purple. When I cut it open, I got the usual reaction, "Is it rotten?" one of my co-workers exclaimed. After tasting it, they decided it was just fine.

I also took in a Kellogg's Breakfast. Almost everyone liked it but didn't think it tasted like a "tomato."

One of my younger co-workers has been shocked by all the colors of tomatoes I have been bringing in. She didn't know that tomatoes could be anything but "round and red."

Marjorie
My younger coworker asked if the BK was "supposed to look like that" but really enjoyed it to the point that he asked for some more samples. Gave a coupe of My CP's to tomato lovers that I know. Got a call this afternoon from one claiming hands down best tomato she had ever tasted. You can describe all you want, giving them a taste lets them know exactly what you mean. Nothing wrong with round and red but there are so many others out there and so little time.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007   #167
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1
I cannot stress this enough folks need to leave the sungolds on the vine until they are good and ripe.

I mean a deep dark orange, if you are worried about splitting just make sure they are well watered and no dry spells.

These tomatoes will LOOK ripe for a long time but you need to leave them alone, they should almost fall off on their own.
I totally agree w/ everything Worth1 said. I will risk the splitting and dropping to get that awesome sweet-tart intense flavor, and that only happens when I pick them perfectly ripe.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #168
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Todays tomatoes along with cukes

Old May 10, 2007   #169
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Very nice.. making me jealous. I've only got one fruit on one plant starting to turn color, and it's nowhere near as big as some of yours.

What's that yellow tomato?
Old May 10, 2007   #170
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post

What's that yellow tomato?
That is Azoychka, not quite ripe but at least the mockingbirds wont beat me to it.
Old May 10, 2007   #171
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

Very nice duajones!!!

Here in DFW things are looking like this:

From left to right:

Box #1 Aker's WV
Box #2 Aunt Ginny's Purple
Box #3 Carbon/Kimberly
Box #4 Cherokee Purple/Paul Robeson
Box #5 Black Cherry

#1 and #2 have not set any fruit... It's been rainy and very humid for 2 straight weeks. The others all set a fair amount of fruit prior to the humid spell... Kimberly and Black Cherry continue to do so. Carbon and CP both have several large fruit... nothing ripening yet. Hopefully we'll get a little drier air here for a couple of weeks before it gets really hot and my red's will produce something... otherwise it will be all purples and blacks... they are all new to me so anything will be good.

Here's another picture of my "matoe" helper in front of the Black Cherry:

RDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #172
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Love your HEB set up there! Great looking plants and cute little helper too. What type of cages are those?
Old May 10, 2007   #173
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

The containers are Gardener's Supply version of the EB.

http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Wateri...t/35-901RS.prd

The cages are ones that they no longer sell that happen to fit perfectly in the boxes. I didn't buy what they called the "Tomato Success Kits" I just bought the planter and the cages separately, and bought the mulch, planting mix, and fertilizer here locallly. All of it is a little overpriced... but it seems to work better (and look better) than anything else I could think of to use in the driveway.

Ryan
Old May 10, 2007   #174
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

That Black Cherry is MASSIVE! What sort of planting mix and fert are you using in those things?
Old May 10, 2007   #175
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Road Kill and swamp water.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #176
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Good question sirtanon, those plants do look good.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #177
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

Planting Mix: Pro-Mix (Sold locally at Home Depot)
Fertilizer: Tomato-Tone - I'll have to check my file at home, but I think I mixed 1 cup into the mix and put 1 cup in a strip on top of the mix (like the real Earthbox instructions). I have not done any additional feeding. I also have 1 cup of Espoma's Garden Lime mixed in.

Due to the size of all my plants, I have been wondering if they are actually getting too much Nitrogen, but they seem to be blossoming pretty well. As I said earlier, fruitset was going well until about 2 weeks ago, then the T-storms and humidity started and haven't really stopped since. The 2 week forecast looks much better, so hopefully I'll get some more fruit in the next couple of weeks...
Old May 10, 2007   #178
RDUN
Tomatovillian™

That.... and Road-Kill/Swamp-Water Slurry
Old May 10, 2007   #179
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Duane,
It's been my experience that a Sungold picked and left on the counter for 24 hours (or even 12) does not taste very good. Maybe it's because the tomatoes are so small, they lose their flavor components fast. Something like that. Fresh picked from the vine is the way to go. I actually like them at various stages of ripeness--a tiny bit of green is fine by me.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007   #180
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
Duane,
It's been my experience that a Sungold picked and left on the counter for 24 hours (or even 12) does not taste very good. Maybe it's because the tomatoes are so small, they lose their flavor components fast. Something like that. Fresh picked from the vine is the way to go. I actually like them at various stages of ripeness--a tiny bit of green is fine by me.
Intersting Ruth, I have a couple dozen that are in various stages of color at this point, I guess I need to just pull one occasionally and try it. I just might try one now. Thanks