Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 3, 2016   #1846
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Continuing on
Now I push some of that mixed older soil up to make a ridge near the front of the box, parallel to the fill tube, then using the side of my hand, I make a trough. 3 cups of new Tomato Tone are placed in it.
Then time to add new PromixBX to the box. You can also see the trough is filled with the new fert. strip.
The new Promix is added to make the bread loaf shaped mound.
The white mulch cover "shower cap" is placed. I tape over the other hole it has that EB places there if I wanted to place it reversed, and for now I taped the fill tube so no rain water or other things can get in. And that's it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161002_131453-800x600.jpg (163.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 20161002_131625-800x600.jpg (185.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20161002_132501-800x600.jpg (179.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 20161002_130025-800x600.jpg (182.9 KB, 76 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1847
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Reminder of the October 15 swap

Reminder to the Florida state especially the South Floridans that or 4th annual Tomato, Vegetable, and ornamental plant swap is in less than 2 weeks, Saturday, October 15, 1:30 to 4:30, at Miramar Community Gardens - 3700 Largo Drive Miramar, Fl
There will be wine, soft drinks food, music, a bunch of great garden friends to talk about gardening with, plus 105 varieties of tomato plants, Enjoya striped bell and other peppers, baby lettuces, other people's plants and ornamentals.
Please bring a dish even if it is a ready made one from a store, as this is a potluck too.
Old October 3, 2016   #1848
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Right now I'm scared of hurricane.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1849
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
Right now I'm scared of hurricane.
We are all watching it carefully. Luckily, by the 15th it will be long gone. No pressure, Max, do as you wish!
Old October 3, 2016   #1850
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - Thanks for the updates/pictures. What do you do for jump starting the wicking? I've been moving the mix and dumping 1 quart of water over those ends.

RE: Hurricane - I just checked the 5 PM update and the cone is now covering 1/2 the length of Florida - the entire east coast. Previously, Miami was not even in the outskirts of the cone and the edge of the cone just rested on the rest of the east coast. This looks much worst.

Starting now I'm holding off transplanting the tomato plants into their final homes. I have 4 EBs done and probably about 24 combined. It's way easier moving the 4" pots into the house/garage. The best I can do for the others is drag them in the porch.

We had tons of rain this AM....I only leave those in their final homes out. My Beauty King Dwarf was all droopy; even though I've never had a droopy dwarf before. I have 3 other Dwarfs and they do hold up to the wind/rain really well.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1851
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I am watching weather reports too. I really hope it will go away.

Marsha, your EB looking like a science project. Great job on explaining every step of it. How do you water it? I understand plastic cover helps saving moisture.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1852
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - Thanks for the updates/pictures. What do you do for jump starting the wicking? I've been moving the mix and dumping 1 quart of water over those ends.

RE: Hurricane - I just checked the 5 PM update and the cone is now covering 1/2 the length of Florida - the entire east coast. Previously, Miami was not even in the outskirts of the cone and the edge of the cone just rested on the rest of the east coast. This looks much worst.

Starting now I'm holding off transplanting the tomato plants into their final homes. I have 4 EBs done and probably about 24 combined. It's way easier moving the 4" pots into the house/garage. The best I can do for the others is drag them in the porch.

We had tons of rain this AM....I only leave those in their final homes out. My Beauty King Dwarf was all droopy; even though I've never had a droopy dwarf before. I have 3 other Dwarfs and they do hold up to the wind/rain really well.
It was looking so much better, now it's getting scarier. This later advisory is getting me worried .

Barb, I don't do anything to Jumpstart wicking, I just add water down the tube.
Old October 3, 2016   #1853
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I am watching weather reports too. I really hope it will go away.

Marsha, your EB looking like a science project. Great job on explaining every step of it. How do you water it? I understand plastic cover helps saving moisture.
Thanks Ella.
The water goes down that pvc tube you see taped over tight now, the tape will be removed when I plant.
Old October 3, 2016   #1854
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thanks Ella.
The water goes down that pic tube you see taped over tight now, the tape will be removed when I plant.
I was thinking that, just making sure. Nice setup.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1855
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGardener View Post
Hey all,

Do any of you grow melons (rock melons and watermelons) down in South Florida? I tried growing them at the recommended time from Jan-Mar and got 1 watermelon from 2 plants and 0 rock melons from 3 plants. I've always though that late Aug-Nov, or sometimes even later in the year, seem pretty ideal in terms of temperature to grow them in SFL, and was just wondering if any of you have tried growing them at that time. Also would love to get some tips on growing melons down here. I've heard it's easy to grow, but along with squash these have proven to be my green thumbs achilles heel xo
I have grown tomatoes in So Florida but never melons. My neighbor here in Orlando used to grow them successfully in the sandy soil, but I have never tried. I am told that they are grown commercially West of Ocala and Gainsville. Sorry that is about all I know about melons in Florida. I wish you luck.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #1856
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I was thinking that, just making sure. Nice setup.
Thanks!
Old October 4, 2016   #1857
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Enjoying the weather before the storm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2016-10-04_09-26-25.jpg (150.1 KB, 63 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #1858
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Melons and Nematodes

Do the nematodes in our soil affect melon planting? I'm afraid to grow anything in the ground because of them. I have, however, grown Everglade Wild Tomatoes in the ground with great success. They were plentiful, delicious, and reseeded like mad.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #1859
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Do the nematodes in our soil affect melon planting? I'm afraid to grow anything in the ground because of them. I have, however, grown Everglade Wild Tomatoes in the ground with great success. They were plentiful, delicious, and reseeded like mad.
I found this article from UF

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ng025
Old October 5, 2016   #1860
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Stay safe everyone. A mandatory evacuation was issued for the barrier island. Even before I knew this, I was surprised to learn a lot of my neighbors planned on evacuating. Some with young kids are gone already.

The models are not very encouraging at all.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote