Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 5, 2016   #1861
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default We have a mound of melons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Do the nematodes in our soil affect melon planting? I'm afraid to grow anything in the ground because of them. I have, however, grown Everglade Wild Tomatoes in the ground with great success. They were plentiful, delicious, and reseeded like mad.
You can grow melons here in Fl.There are a lot grown midstate.
If you create a mound(10ft square,about 2 foot high)) of loamy,sandy soil(citrus mix)cover it in landscape fabric,poke holes for your new baby melons(I mix cantaloupes/melons) they will run real fast.A bed of wheat straw(top of fabric) will keep vines moist.The leaves here in zone 10b do battle the fungas encroachment.I put down melons only during cooler/dryer months here.If your Everglades did well,maybe the patch has no harmful nematodes.Ring patch with Sunflowers(pollinator attractant) Marigolds(some nematode preventative attributes).In the mix I will sprinkle in strawberry plants for the nieces/nephews.Trick is the pollination,familiarize yourself with the male and female flowers to hand pollinate for better results.I do it because we can and a little melon patch makes for good conversation and is fun for the kids if they get involved in as a projectGood Luck.
Old October 5, 2016   #1862
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

If there is any solace, the models show, this morning, that the center will still be off shore. I am waiting to see what they have to say a bit later. I am questioning whether I should board up of not. Ain't it fun.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #1863
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Not fun at all, Larry. I don't really enjoy the idea of moving 43 Earthboxes, I think I am just going to fill them with water(ballast ) and hope for the best. I do have 25 crates of 24 seedling plants to carry onto the sheltered patio.
It looks like the watch is gone for Broward. Now it is a Hurricane Warning. Now tropical storm force winds are expected tonight,and hurricane force winds are expected tomorrow afternoon. Broward and Palm Beach is right where I live.
Worried, very worried. Stay safe Barb,Larry,Kurt, Douglas, everyone.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #1864
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I just took this from my back yard. The calm before the storm. If we didnt have weather reports we would have no idea what is about to hit us.

Good luck and stay safe everyone.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #1865
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ugh, it is not looking good.
Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 5, 2016   #1866
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Ugh, it is not looking good.
Ginny
I agree. If the tracking as reported turns out to be correct, it's not looking good for especially Brevard and Volusia counties. If living very close to the coast in these counties it would seem to be a good idea to get further inland.
Now it appears that the storm may turn back to the South as it moves offshore. Who knows, it might loop around and come back onshore further South. I'm certainly no hurricane expert but it is tempting to project where the storm may track when the official tracking seems to end.
Stay Safe,
Larry
Old October 5, 2016   #1867
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It does not look good. Specially for the shore line.
Here is the wave forecast.
http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz650

Be safe.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #1868
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Now tropical storm force winds are predicted to hold all the way out to the Gulf. Storm predicted to strengthen. Not good.
Old October 5, 2016   #1869
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So scary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 5, 2016   #1870
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I am wishing all my tomatoville friends are in a safe place. It is most important for family, loved ones and one's self to be in a safe place. We can deal with the rest later but we have to be safe.
Larry
Old October 5, 2016   #1871
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Peek-a-boo

What me worry about a hurricane?????

I have 2 frogs that live on our storm shutter sills. Caught one in action today; They are very cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Froggy (1024x678).jpg (122.3 KB, 60 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #1872
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, thank you. I needed something light right about now. Its supposed to be stronger tomorrow, and the brunt will hit in Palm Beach County and northward.
Old October 5, 2016   #1873
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I just love that frog picture.

You all hunker down, baton the hatches and leave if you should. Be sure to take care of yourselves before the plants. Stay safe and tell that froggy to tuck himself into a safer place too.
Old October 5, 2016   #1874
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Computer models are saying it could loop around and hit Florida again becuse of TS Nicole. Ugh!
Old October 5, 2016   #1875
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of frogs, I feel bad for these little guys, but maybe they can swim to the bottom of the rain barrel. I believe they were lucky because they get fed a diet of thai basil and egyptian spinach.

This isn't the right forum for this topic, but this is my first major hurricane experience in Florida. I don't enjoy living here, in fact it's the worst place I've lived in US so far, except for the year round growing. I watch the way people treat each other and it's like one of those doomsday scenario where they kill and cannibalize each other. While the adult me should know better, it's still sickening to see. Maybe I haven't met the right people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161004_174127.jpg (174.9 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; October 5, 2016 at 11:32 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote