Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 2, 2018   #1861
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Carolyn, that looks bone chilling cold. Burr
actually it wasn't cold. 30° when I got up at 5am. the snow was like slush underneath the top 4" or so. the driveway was slush as soon as we drove through it. the roads were clear in no time at all... because just as Hudsonvalley mentioned... it was WARM for the past several days. the wind was terrible though. more than 50,000 without power. thankfully not us. farther North (which is hard to do here as we are only 40 mile south of Lake Erie) and East there was a lot more snow though.
Old March 3, 2018   #1862
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We had the strangest warm weather in February. We had over three weeks of days in the upper 70s and a few in the mid 80s; but what made it so unusual was the nights were incredibly warm usually in the mid 60s but a few nights in the mid 70s. It seemed to good to be true that spring was arriving that early after a couple of unusually hard freezes in December and January and so last night it dropped into the low 40s and they are forecasting some lows in the mid 30 toward the end of next week. I have tomatoes grafted and ready to set out but I think I will wait and avoid any light frosts that might occur and if nothing changes start setting out my plants next Saturday when the nights will be back in the 50s. My most common plant out date for the past twenty years has been between the 7th and 16th of February but a few years I have had to wait as late as the second week in April. I am still awaiting my tulip poplar tree to give me the signal that it is time to set out tomatoes.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #1863
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Widespread Verizon outages are being reported online; looks like PA is especially hard-hit. I hope your service is restored soon! Stay safe.

In my area, Canadian work crews are arriving from Quebec to work on the power lines. Looks like many customers are facing a multi-day outage.
Ended up with close to 20 inches of snow. Power stayed on here, but lost internet and cable until late this morning. Spent yesterday and today cleaning up.
Very fortunate, many people were without anything and stranded on the interstates for 24+ hours. Gas stations are either out of fuel, have fuel but no electric or they are charging $10/gallon. Luckily I have over half a tank and that's enough to get me down to Lancaster for work tomorrow.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #1864
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Hang in there Northern New England, Maritimes Canada, Newfoundland...
What a storm. 500,000 without power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storm mar82018.jpg (530.9 KB, 78 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #1865
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Oakley! Hope you get the day off tomorrow!!! Guessing the roads will be a mess for awhile.
We've been sitting pretty here for several days now with the weatherman talking about the pounding you're getting and what to expect when it gets here... they're still not entirely sure but it will be white and enough to shovel on Saturday, that's a certainty. They expect it to loop back and hit us a second time Monday. So I should be fit as a fiddle by the time some other thing hits us on Wednesday.

I heard that Vermont just got 100 cm of snow... yikes! That is like 5 healthy shovels worth. If it was me I think I'd just hibernate, wait for spring... Hope everyone stays safe and don't overdo it, for goodness sakes. Take your time, and let it wait.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #1866
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I can't imagine getting snow like that. I will echo what bower said.....hope everyone affected by the storm stays safe and can hopefully dig out soon.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #1867
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Yup, that is what we woke up to !!!! Lots of trees and limbs down, no power until about 5pm here. Main roads are warm this time of year so it is just wet; back roads still littered with downed trees and limbs. A typical March Nor'easter! Only 10 " of very wet stuff here.

Kids home, cooking on woodstove, eating leftovers and a batch of homemade granola.

( Just takes a little practise to cope with this white stuff.)
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #1868
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not so sure I even want to discuss the weather we've had where I am in upstate NY,just a few miles from the VT border.
TWO nor'easters in the last 6 days, I haven't even tried to get online, and that for many reasons.Yes, I finally got online today when I saw a bit of blue in the sky,but ASAP it clouded over and now predicting heavey snow squalls.

An article in the paper yesterday about Highway Supervisers they interviewed saying that they had the lowest amt of sand and salt stuff to load the snow plow trucks,since 1985. The amt of money owed their drivers for working overtime was way over any budget.

I've had it, but so has everyone else in my area.

All of this impacts me greatly since many here know I'm permanently home bound, can no longer fix my own meals, use a walker, and on and on, all to say I have to depend on others to help me, but I can still call my fave chocolate store and have them send me what I ordered last time.

Carolyn
Old March 12, 2018   #1869
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Awoke to this.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1870
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That's a gorgeous view, Hellmanns, but I don't envy you the snow.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1871
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
That's a gorgeous view, Hellmanns, but I don't envy you the snow.

Nan
I had to chop my way out this morning. One of the things that suck living in the woods.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1872
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was right on the line of that snow system that hit Kentucky. No snow here, but schools are closed one county east of me.

My greenhouse is all based upon the sun shining. And that appears to be very difficult to predict. I went to bed last night and it said sunny all week. Now this morning, it is supposed to be cloudy all week. These days with no sun are like days that don't count, as far as plant growth in the greenhouse goes.

Low 20's for me tomorrow night, before it is supposed to warm up for a while. This is not the easiest weather in which to grow tomato plants in a plastic house.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1873
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We have Nor'easter number three in as many weeks hitting. March is definitely coming in like a lion this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1874
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ditto here, Hellmans, only the snow is still falling, all day snow today, and more again Wednesday.
That is after the big shovel on Saturday, I got about 25 cm here.
We have more snow on the ground this week than we've had the entire winter.

And ditto, Cole Robbie. Greenhouse is dark.. temperature steady at 40 F today.
Luckily the kale, chard, leeks and lettuce don't care. They aren't growing any, but persevering.
Haven't seen a high much above 60 F yet even on a sunny day. Trees are tall, solar angle is low, so still only partial sun here at best. Not that it's been very sunny.
My tomato seedlings are just getting their true leaves under lights indoors. I won't be getting the frost night jitters until April.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #1875
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
We have Nor'easter number three in as many weeks hitting. March is definitely coming in like a lion this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here starting tonight.

And I had snow drops up and blooming as well as some crocuses, but the snow levels predicted are, at least for me,not as bad as bad as the last two nor'easters were.

So we shall see,

Carolyn, just hoping for no power outages but what I read from Intelllicast and Accuweather,online, customized for my area,wind seems to be low level.