Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 6, 2016   #1876
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

It just keeps looking worse.
"The latest NHC model has Matthew making landfall around Cape Canaveral, Florida and traveling northward over land towards Daytona Beach, Florida, before exiting back out over the Atlantic Ocean."
I boarded up late yesterday. I will continue staking and tying up tomatoes this morning. Maybe something will survive.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1877
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I'm about 10 miles north of the Cape Canaveral launch pad. The water is already up in the yard and the storm isnt even here yet. I'm heading to Orlando this morning. If the storm does what they have predicted it will devastate the coatsline from below Marshas on up to Jacksonville and beyond. There are actually a couple of people planning to ride it out here in RV's. I'm just hoping the storm stays out farther than what they have predicted. Please please please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1878
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - where did you see that track? The one I heard (weather.com) said landfall in WPB as Cat 3, and up to Melbourne as Cat 4. Not good for any of us.

Ginny - Can you move your RV? Is DH with you or still in Philly?

For now we are riding it out; crazy living on a barrier island. Do you know all the major hotels in Indialantic oceanfront are SOLD OUT?

Hurricane prep is a lot of work. Spent all day yesterday moving crap in the back yard. Our shutters are up permanently so only had 3 to put up. 2 are up already; just one left for the French door in back to do; then only the garage door to get out.

Hopefully it will turn like Floyd did in '99 or massive shear or a lessor storm.
They have been WRONG since the get go on this.

------------
EVERYONE Keep posting so we can stay in touch while we still have electricity.

Marsha - you doing OK?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1879
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I dunno Barb, they have been much more accurate in the last several years on the track a storm takes, because of the computer models. The strength is often variable still. I am tending to trust the track prediction, unfortunately.

Barb, are you evacuating? I am so worried for you.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1880
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - where did you see that track? The one I heard (weather.com) said landfall in WPB as Cat 3, and up to Melbourne as Cat 4. Not good for any of us.
http://news.brevardtimes.com/2016/10...th-update.html

Here is more on what was said of the National Hurricane Center's projection:

The latest NHC model has Matthew making landfall around Cape Canaveral, Florida and traveling northward over land towards Daytona Beach, Florida, before exiting back out over the Atlantic Ocean.

The Florida portion of the NHC forecast track is west of the various consensus models, but it lies near the GFS, ECMWF, and ECMWF ensemble mean. From 48-72 hours, the cyclone is expected to recurve northeastward along the southern edge of the mid-latitude westerlies.

Last edited by Zone9b; October 6, 2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old October 6, 2016   #1881
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Could have pulled it if hubby was here. But waited too long to make a decision about having someone do it for me. So it stays. Not looking good at all.

Ginny

Old October 6, 2016   #1882
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

All you Florida Folks be safe and evacuate if necessary. Always keep in mind the most intense storm effects are on the northeast quadrant of the eye...

I went through Hugo in '89. Definitely an ordeal and the psychological effects during and after the storm can be severe. Hugo came in a Cat 4 but there was a small area north of Mount Pleasant in Awendaw that experienced much higher wind gusts. After the storm, the National Geologic people came and did studies where pine needles were driven into solid structures. They estimated wind gusts near 200 MPH. The development I was in was located on the Intracoastal waterway behind Bulls Island. Thirty two homes were in this development. Only two homes survived as the area took a 21' storm surge near high tide in the early hours of Sept. 22nd. The forest of huge pine, saw timber, and live oaks, cypress was completely leveled.

Take these things seriously, as there is still time to evacuate...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1883
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by twillis2252 View Post
All you Florida Folks be safe and evacuate if necessary. Always keep in mind the most intense storm effects are on the northeast quadrant of the eye...

I went through Hugo in '89. Definitely an ordeal and the psychological effects during and after the storm can be severe. Hugo came in a Cat 4 but there was a small area north of Mount Pleasant in Awendaw that experienced much higher wind gusts. After the storm, the National Geologic people came and did studies where pine needles were driven into solid structures. They estimated wind gusts near 200 MPH. The development I was in was located on the Intracoastal waterway behind Bulls Island. Thirty two homes were in this development. Only two homes survived as the area took a 21' storm surge near high tide in the early hours of Sept. 22nd. The forest of huge pine, saw timber, and live oaks, cypress was completely leveled.

Take these things seriously, as there is still time to evacuate...
Great Story and a very good message as well.
I looked at a clip of what I think is Good Morning America. Al Rocker shows graphics of where they are suggesting where Matthew will go. If you look closely you will see that their video appears to put Matthew on shore South of Melbourne and then continue North. Hopefully this is incorrect and the eye doesn't come ashore that far South and better yet not at all. But if it did that would potentially put all those living in the islands off the Coast say from from Melbourne to North of Titusville slightly on the right side of the eye of the storm. If this were to happen, not saying it will because I don't know anymore than the next person, but if it did, people left in these communities in a very precarious position, with maximum wind speeds and possibly storm surge to match.
Let me quote you again twillis2252, because you said it better than I could:
"Take these things seriously, as there is still time to evacuate."
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; October 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old October 6, 2016   #1884
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

PLEASE, EVERYONE - BE SAFE!

(praying for you all!)

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1885
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Keep safe everyone! I am watching the news hourly for updates, it is very worrying. I think of all of you and hope you can post here when its over that you are fine.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1886
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

Ginny - Can you move your RV? Is DH with you or still in Philly?

For now we are riding it out; crazy living on a barrier island. Do you know all the major hotels in Indialantic oceanfront are SOLD OUT?

Hurricane prep is a lot of work. Spent all day yesterday moving crap in the back yard. Our shutters are up permanently so only had 3 to put up. 2 are up already; just one left for the French door in back to do; then only the garage door to get out.

Hopefully it will turn like Floyd did in '99 or massive shear or a lessor storm.
They have been WRONG since the get go on this.

------------
EVERYONE Keep posting so we can stay in touch while we still have electricity.

Marsha - you doing OK?
Barb, we are fine so far. 7pm tonight might be another story. I really don't like hearing that you are going to ride it out, thus one could be a category 4 and an almost firestorm hit to you. I hope you are evacuating.
Old October 6, 2016   #1887
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I, too, wish to extend wishes and concern for everyone's safety, above all else. I am watching for all the updates I can find and then I figured I could probably get the latest from you guys.

I remember too well the impact of Jeanne on New Smyrna Beach and the condo building we stay at almost collapsing 2 months later during the night from the after math.

Be safe.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016   #1888
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha and Barb, please come back and update regularly if you can.

Old October 6, 2016   #1889
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, we are fine so far. 7pm tonight might be another story. I really don't like hearing that you are going to ride it out, thus one could be a category 4 and an almost firestorm hit to you. I hope you are evacuating.
I'm with you Marsha. I would like very much to hear that Barb has left the island.
Larry
Old October 6, 2016   #1890
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So far, at 4:18 we are OK, its kinda mild.
Barb?