Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2018   #1891
edweather
Tomatovillian™

No bargain here in far southeast GA. Cold and windy. 30s and 40s at night, and 60s sometimes 70s during the day. Tomatoes are outside, but grow in fits and starts. Supposed to warm up a little in the next few days.
Old March 22, 2018   #1892
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I'm done with the white stuff!!!

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018   #1893
edweather
Tomatovillian™

That's why we moved from Syracuse to Georgia. In Syracuse we had 8 months of winter and 4 months of bad weather :-) Couldn't take it anymore.
Old March 23, 2018   #1894
bower
Tomatovillian™

That last nordeaster dumped a heap of snow on the western half of the island, but true to form we got it here as ice pellets, freezing rain, rain, fog, drizzle, and more rain today before it's done. Trees loaded with ice here this morning. People who like winter sports are often disappointed here on the Avalon. Unless the sport is "up to your knees in gravel". High will go to 7 C today, alright by me. The snow we got in march hasn't melted a bit, I'm tired of looking at it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #1895
imp
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to get to 86 today, and our lows are well up, too. Rain is predicted for Wednesday for sure, maybe some Monday and Tuesday, which we need as we are low on rainfall again. But the warmth is making me garden itchy and twicthy, LOL, so will be putting some things in early.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #1896
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
No bargain here in far southeast GA. Cold and windy. 30s and 40s at night, and 60s sometimes 70s during the day. Tomatoes are outside, but grow in fits and starts. Supposed to warm up a little in the next few days.
Same down here in Southwestern part of NC. We have frost for another 5 days or so, per forecast. Then the lows should go up to mid 40s and higher. I itching to plant out. My seedling have already been hardened up the gargen is ready. Coming Wednesday is the day, provided they dont revise the forecast downward

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #1897
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Two beautiful afternoons, mud conditions, snow melting slowly. very slowly, good for the local river with the very low bridge. THe only bridge into town. Well, the direect route anyways. More snow due Sat night. Enough already!! lol

Usually 7 months of good weather here..... fall has stretched with warmer days into late Ocober.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #1898
bower
Tomatovillian™

We're in for another snow day tomorrow too. And monday night, the low is supposed to dip to -9 C (16 F) which we haven't seen for weeks now.
Perennials in my greenhouse haven't broken dormancy yet. So it's not really spring in there either, except for the kale, chard and green onions which are showing some growth.
OTOH "double digits" forecast for later in the week. That is, above 10 C/50 F. Should be a lovely easter weekend.
Old March 24, 2018   #1899
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Holy cow Bower. I don't know how you do it! The snow line has crept down the mountains here this week and we have been hovering around 1C at night. Perennials stored on the floor of my unheated garage are starting to grow and some trees beginning to bud out, daffs starting to bloom etc. And this seems like too long to wait though the calendar says not, on the Pacific coast.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #1900
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's hot here today 85F and it will get hotter over next few hours. 89F (31.6 C) is the record high for today. I'm getting four beds ready to plant marigold seeds in. What a huge difference between here and there in Canada.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #1901
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It's hot here today 85F and it will get hotter over next few hours. 89F (31.6 C) is the record high for today. I'm getting four beds ready to plant marigold seeds in. What a huge difference between here and there in Canada.
The record hottest temperature ever recorded in St. John's NL is 31.5 C. I mean Ever! As in July, not March that's for sure. According to the weatherman who quoted the weather stats when we hit 31.2 back in 2013, there were 9 times in 72 years that we hit 30 C and above.

We do get warmer than that with humidex counting, especially the past half dozen years or so, but as the man said, we're not known for our high temperatures.
Old March 24, 2018   #1902
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

its not warm but at least the sun was shining today which warmed up the greenhouses quite nicely.
Old March 24, 2018   #1903
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I remember too many days of 37 - 45C here...way too many 100 - 113F. Factoring in the humidity from the gulf of Mexico, here's a Heat index chart
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #1904
imp
Tomatovillian™

I agree, Salt, too many high heat days, especially when we were in drought so badly. The ground was parched.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #1905
bower
Tomatovillian™

I admit I like moderate weather the best. Heat makes me miserable - and it's worse here because we're not used to it, and nobody has air conditioning either.

So we are getting some flurries here today but the real story is ice and wind. Woke up to trees loaded down with it and freezing fog blowing through. Or should I say, howling through. Gusting 80-100 kph. Power outages here there and everywhere, so far I'm good, but Mom's place is down, and some people in the area had no power since 8 this morning. Ah well. Kettle is boiled. Radio on standby. I think I'll hold off watering the seedlings for another day... in case it gets dark and cold on them in a hurry.
Through my window I see flakes going up, down and sideways like they really don't know where they're meant to go. Way above the trees there are seagulls careening around on the wind. Around here, the sight of seagulls this far inland is a sure sign that the weather is darnoodly foul on the ocean.