Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 26, 2012   #181
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Dell, I'm curious about your Costa Rican cherry b'c I too am growing a small one from Costa Rica but mine has a name and that's Cartago Pear.

I'm also growing Istra as well as Primorskyi Pacug, both from Iva in Slovenia and I thought she said that she had only sent Istra to Michael in the UK and myself/

No matter, both are large red beefs and I'm really looking forward to seeing how they do and taste.

Phreddy from the UK summers in Bulgaria and he sent Marek's Pointy Heart to I think both Tania and me but he called it by two different names, Marek's Pointy Heart to one of us and Unnamed Bulgarian_________to the other. I'm too lazy to look the full name of the last one up right now.

Great looking list BTW.
I was wrong in saying what I did about Iva sending seed for Istra to only
Michael and me. Iva said she'd shared seeds of Istra to quite a few folks so your Istra could be from Michael or someone else.

It was Primorski Pacug that she sent seeds only to Michael and me.

I e-mailed her last night to confirm that the Primorski one was PL, which it is, and of course then she had to tell me what she's got going, and well, you know how these tomato obsessed folks do carry on.
Old April 26, 2012   #182
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I was wrong in saying what I did about Iva sending seed for Istra to only
Michael and me. Iva said she'd shared seeds of Istra to quite a few folks so your Istra could be from Michael or someone else.

Hi Carolyn,

Iva was kind enough to share Istra with me, as well. Nice sturdy seedlings, the Istras. Hi Iva! I've put in some brand new raised beds at that remote location to handle the grow out of the "Green Velvet Plum".

TV kath shared the Marek's Pointy Heart with me. We had to give it a try because my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Marek. I'm on a second set of seedlings for those. The first were victims of seed coat escape struggles. I don't think my grow space is as humid as usual. That very early warm weather seems to have driven the moisture out of a room that's usually pretty "thick" feeling. I've had more seed coat problems than usual this year.

I'm doing a grow out from that compact variegated Cherokee Purple from last year, Carolyn. I've got some seedlings just starting to show some variegation on the newly emerging leaves now.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #183
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

dell, that's a bunch of tomatoes. Would love to see your garden. Any photos anywhere? Maybe on the Gallery forum?

There are a kagillion wonderful grow lists here but I need photos to feed my habit.
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #184
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrockgarden View Post
There are a kagillion wonderful grow lists here...
For real! I can't believe how many there are. I'm wondering - just how many tomatoes are there out there to grow?
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2012   #185
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
For real! I can't believe how many there are. I'm wondering - just how many tomatoes are there out there to grow?

I've seen it estimated that there are about 7K available commercially, that's for OP's, whether heirloom or not, and maybe 15K when you take into account all the varieties in various seed banks here and there.

As for F1 hybrids, a few hundreds at any one time maybe.
Old April 28, 2012   #186
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrockgarden View Post
dell, that's a bunch of tomatoes. Would love to see your garden. Any photos anywhere? Maybe on the Gallery forum?

There are a kagillion wonderful grow lists here but I need photos to feed my habit.
Sorry, no pictures. No digital camera. But containers are your friend for many varieties. Five gallon buckets, reusable grocery bags, 16 lb cat food bags.....last year I lined one side of the in ground garden with containers of tomato plants....Primrose Gage, Roughwood Golden Tiger, Polish Pastel, Grub's Mystery Green, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Black Sea Man, Yellow Perfection, all those varieties were happy in their containers. Cream Sausage got happier once I moved it's grocery bag into the shade of the ferns---cooler roots, nice warm leaves and stems. At my place, you'll find tomatoes, and other food plants, sharing space with perennials and bulbs and tucked into all sorts of spaces.

I also grow the plants for about half a dozen family members and some of the varieties are their requests or to meet their specific needs.
Old April 28, 2012   #187
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

16 lb. cat food bags? How well do those hold up? Can you put most kinds of tomatoes in them, or do you stick to the smaller ones?

I also have a dog, so we go through quite a few pet food bags in a year. It sure would be great to reuse those! Heck, I could expand the garden into the driveway.

(Oh dear lord, what am I saying?)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #188
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
16 lb. cat food bags? How well do those hold up? Can you put most kinds of tomatoes in them, or do you stick to the smaller ones?

I also have a dog, so we go through quite a few pet food bags in a year. It sure would be great to reuse those! Heck, I could expand the garden into the driveway.

(Oh dear lord, what am I saying?)
The bags made of that woven plastic material are the most durable of the different materials in the big pet food bags. In any case, remember that water needs to drain out, so you need to put in some holes. I just use an 8" chef knife to cut slits in them after I fill them with soil. Works great. I fold over the top edge a couple times to make a nice sturdy rim.

I grew Arbuznyi, Pink Berkeley Tye Dye and Grub's Mystery Green in them last year.

BTW, I plant in containers for my mom and those sit on her driveway. It's got the best sun and no troubles with tree roots.
Old April 29, 2012   #189
sarahs
Tomatovillian™

Wow, some of you have amazing lists! I hope one day to have space for all of those! I only have room for ten in my urban garden, all are new to me this year except for Sungold:

Carmello
Amana Orange
Dagma's Perfection
Cuostralee
Juan Flamme
Florida 91
Marianna's Peace
Sungold
Sweet Baby Girl
Costoluto Genovese
sarahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #190
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm up to 445 tomato plants and 19 pepper plants in the main garden. There are another 50 pepper plants in two other areas for isolation. I will put in at least another 50 peppers in a row I've been saving for just that purpose. I still have 6 varieties of cherry tomatoes to find a place for and I have about 30 varieties for breeding work that I need to plant. I'm definitely running out of garden space!

Here are the qty and variety added:
1 - A.C. Red
1 - Anait
1 - Aunt Gertie's Gold
1 - Bellstar
3 - Black Cherry
3 - Black Krim Cherry
3 - Blush
3 - Brown Cherry
2 - Burgess Crackproof
3 - Camp Joy
1 - Catherine Simms
2 - Cherokee Jumbo
3 - Chocolate Cherry
2 - Cuor di Bue
3 - Dr. Carolyn
3 - Dr. Carolyn Pink
2 - Faux Red Brandywine
3 - Galina
1 - Grandpa Willie
3 - Grape
3 - Green Doctors
3 - Green Doctors Frosted
1 - Grubs Green
3 - Gurnsey Island Pink Blush
3 - Hartman's Yellow gooseberry
2 - Henry
3 - Hires Rootstock
1 - Howard German
3 - Ildi
9 - Italian Frying pepper
1 - New Big Dwarf
1 - Peacevine cherry
4 - Perth Pride
5 - Piennolo
2 - Polish Linguisa
1 - Red Penna
3 - Spudayellow Strawberry
1 - Strawberry Margarita
2 - Tasti-lee
3 - Thompson Seedless Grape
1 - Wisconsin 55 Gold

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #191
babice
Tomatovillian™

Oh my...GOODNESS....WOW fusionpower! That's amazing! Are you selling those! What part of Alabama, man? I'm gonna come buy from you!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #192
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Default black krim cherry?

I am curious about your black krim cherry. Never heard of it but black krim in in my top 3. What can you tell us about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I'm up to 445 tomato plants and 19 pepper plants in the main garden. There are another 50 pepper plants in two other areas for isolation. I will put in at least another 50 peppers in a row I've been saving for just that purpose. I still have 6 varieties of cherry tomatoes to find a place for and I have about 30 varieties for breeding work that I need to plant. I'm definitely running out of garden space!

Here are the qty and variety added:
1 - A.C. Red
1 - Anait
1 - Aunt Gertie's Gold
1 - Bellstar
3 - Black Cherry
3 - Black Krim Cherry
3 - Blush
3 - Brown Cherry
2 - Burgess Crackproof
3 - Camp Joy
1 - Catherine Simms
2 - Cherokee Jumbo
3 - Chocolate Cherry
2 - Cuor di Bue
3 - Dr. Carolyn
3 - Dr. Carolyn Pink
2 - Faux Red Brandywine
3 - Galina
1 - Grandpa Willie
3 - Grape
3 - Green Doctors
3 - Green Doctors Frosted
1 - Grubs Green
3 - Gurnsey Island Pink Blush
3 - Hartman's Yellow gooseberry
2 - Henry
3 - Hires Rootstock
1 - Howard German
3 - Ildi
9 - Italian Frying pepper
1 - New Big Dwarf
1 - Peacevine cherry
4 - Perth Pride
5 - Piennolo
2 - Polish Linguisa
1 - Red Penna
3 - Spudayellow Strawberry
1 - Strawberry Margarita
2 - Tasti-lee
3 - Thompson Seedless Grape
1 - Wisconsin 55 Gold

DarJones
Old May 3, 2012   #193
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim Cherry is a bee made cross that showed up in my garden about 5 years ago. It is far enough along to be stable with an interesting black/pink color and excellent flavor. I have a few customers who ask for it by name and won't grow any other cherry tomato.

DarJones
Old May 3, 2012   #194
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a winner. how can get some seeds? You are among a few people who's seed collection make mine look meek...so dunno what I have that u do not...
Old May 3, 2012   #195
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to wait until fall when I harvest seed. The plants I have growing now are from the last seed I have of the F5 plants.

DarJones