Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2016   #181
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Patti, are you referring to the fact that it's like two stems merged into one? My DB is definitely like that, but it's not the only one. I'm going to take a photo of mine now that it's planted. One of my DB's is very large, the other one starting to catch up.
Al - thanks!
Yes, Jillian was the first person here to report having a fused stem. I think that two other plants in that garden were doing the same thing.

I do not know what causes this or if it is hereditary. Anyone with any ideas??? Anywho, it seems that there are a few DB out there with stems like this.
Old June 9, 2016   #182
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

As I have mentioned before , on mine flower truss is fused with the main branch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB-5-21.jpg (24.0 KB, 261 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #183
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have given about 30 Daniel Burson plants to friends and co-workers from the 40 seeds that I started earlier. Hopefully I can keep track of most of them and see if their stems appear to be fused or not. They all looked just fine when I packaged them up.

One thing that I do know is that the plants were much appreciated and have good homes. Some of these people have never grown a tomato plant before. Boy are they going to be in for a treat when they taste these compared to the store tomatoes that they have always known! Many of these DB plants are going to be grown in pots which will also be a good trial for this one. We just might see an influx of members from my area after they grow out a Daniel Burson plant!
Old June 12, 2016   #184
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patti, my DB's are in a raised bed filled with Pro Mix HP and fertilizers, so basically it 's like being in a pot. These beds were just made for me, because I got sick and tired of using grow bags. I'll send a photo of them when it stops raining! Next week temps are supposed to really go up and we're going to get sun! So they should start taking off. Can't wait.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #185
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Hi Patti, my DB's are in a raised bed filled with Pro Mix HP and fertilizers, so basically it 's like being in a pot. These beds were just made for me, because I got sick and tired of using grow bags. I'll send a photo of them when it stops raining! Next week temps are supposed to really go up and we're going to get sun! So they should start taking off. Can't wait.
That sounds great Sharon! How nice of someone to make you such nice beds. I hope you enjoy them!

Ah, the weather... Yesterday 90 today 66. Poor plants don't know what's going on.
Old June 12, 2016   #186
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Daniel Burson

Hi Patti,
I planted the Daniel Burson seed that you send a few weeks ago. Got a late start, but planning on these being part of my fall crop. I have two healthy seedlings, that should be ready to go into the ground by the last week of June. They germinated in 5 days. Two out of three germinated. They are showing their pretty potato leaves now.
Thanks again for the seed.
Deborah
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #187
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Here are mine, set fruit now and very healthy plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160612_085139-resized-960.jpg (309.6 KB, 227 views)
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2016   #188
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedgreen51 View Post
Hi Patti,
I planted the Daniel Burson seed that you send a few weeks ago. Got a late start, but planning on these being part of my fall crop. I have two healthy seedlings, that should be ready to go into the ground by the last week of June. They germinated in 5 days. Two out of three germinated. They are showing their pretty potato leaves now.
Thanks again for the seed.
Deborah
I hope that they do well for you this fall. Thanks for checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Here are mine, set fruit now and very healthy plants.
It looks like your plants are setting fruit well and I am glad to hear that you still have no disease issues with them. Let's hope that it stays that way.
Old June 17, 2016   #189
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

My plants are still growing taller but none have set fruit, I'm thinking it's the hot weather and rain.

Has anyone tried "blossom set spray" in hot weather? I have some and think I'll start using it to hopefully help pollinate the flowers.

Thoughts...
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #190
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
My plants are still growing taller but none have set fruit, I'm thinking it's the hot weather and rain.

Has anyone tried "blossom set spray" in hot weather? I have some and think I'll start using it to hopefully help pollinate the flowers.

Thoughts...
I have not tried the spray, however in the hot and humid weather I use my electric toothbrush to vibrate the blossoms to assist with pollination. Have you tried shaking the plants or flicking the blossoms with you finger to help drop some pollen on the stigma? When things are hot and humid the pollen clumps and does not fall. Sometimes we need to help things along when we have these conditions.
Old June 17, 2016   #191
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I try to shake them in the afternoon when it's dry, I guess I need to get a toothbrush. I did spray them today so I'll know in a few days. The heat index is high and I think I'll move them into some afternoon shade today, once it cools down a bit of course.
Old June 18, 2016   #192
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well with temperatures like that I think that most plants would have trouble setting fruit. It does get that hot here and very humid as well. The electric toothbrush has really helped even in those kinds of temps.

Good luck to you!
Old June 18, 2016   #193
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just updated the thread my brother started in General Discussion and looking around a bit a see that this thread is still going and expect that Fred will get my Burson plant out,the original seeds from Bill Jeffers ,on Sunday,very late for here,so fingers crossed that all the ones she puts out do well this summer.

Carolyn
Old June 18, 2016   #194
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Welcome back, I see you're feeling well and hope you continue to get better.
Old June 18, 2016   #195
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

DB is high on my list for next year. I have never seen a small child eat a tomato like that in all my life. They must taste wonderful.

Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote