Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2018   #1981
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
This is not the weather for the gardeners, but for the skiers.
Vladimír
Skiiing has been good this year. I suspect the higher hills will be open into June again this year - same as last year. I am hoping to be able to get my plants outside for some real sun on Tues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zone 3a Temps.JPG (20.7 KB, 128 views)
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1982
bower
Tomatovillian™

Another 'everything' storm tonight and tomorrow. Snow has started, followed by ice pellets, then freezing rain, then rain, drizzle, fog and finally showers. Will drop to -2 C (28 F) then up to 4 C before morning, and high of 11 C (52 F) tomorrow with southerly winds gusting 80 kph. The only weather missing I believe is Mr. Sun.
I'm amazed how everyone is having a cold or late spring all over this year. Hang in there guys.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1983
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It turns out that I did lose one tomato plant in yesterday's hail storm. It was a WOW plant - I'll replace it with a Black Krim. Those two varieties only have the fact that they are a tomato plant in common.

Today's high temperature was in the 50s - which feels kind of cool compared to how warm it has been. Tomorrow is going to be near 80F. The same Friday and Saturday morning's low is supposed to be in the upper 30s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2018   #1984
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Saturday sucks for our fishing trip.
We are hoping it stalls out or we aren't going.
Too much money to go and sit and catch nothing.
We were trying to figure out a way to skip out of work and go Friday but we cant.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2018   #1985
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

This is getting ridiculous.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING... * WHAT...Moderate to heavy wet snow possible. Total snow accumulations up to 4 inches are possible. Cannot rule out isolated higher amounts.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2018   #1986
bower
Tomatovillian™

Our weekend looks gross as well. From Saturday until Monday snow, rain, or random slushy mix of the two will fall constantly from the sky, the amount all told adds up to 90 cm or mm. If all snow it would be 35 inches, but as rain only 3.5 inches. Counting on at least half rain to wash the stuff away.
Right now it is 53 F out, the rain has washed away all the ice and snow from last night and still raining. Fog pretty thick too. In the greenhouse... only 51 F. So dark and clammy.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #1987
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Thunder Snow

I'm listening to Accuweather this morning. They are saying that thunder during a snow storm is rare. In this part of Texas - it does not snow a lot, but there is almost always thunder when it snows multiple inches.

I am curious if thunder snow is rare in places where it snows a lot?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #1988
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Thunder snow here in Nebraska once or twice a year. I just wish it would quit snowing this year...it's at it again today.
Old April 6, 2018   #1989
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

Here in southern Indiana my 13 y/o grandson plays his first travel soccer game tomorrow and is supposed to be barely above freezing at game time.

Actually they do pretty well layering clothes but he says you think you are kicking a rock and not a ball.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #1990
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thunder snow is rare here in Pittsburgh, PA.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #1991
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a thousand things to do but by dam I am going to the river fishing tomorrow morning if the weather hasn't changed yet.
The neighbors can get over my weeds and the IRS owes ME money not me owing them.
Worth
Old April 6, 2018   #1992
imp
Tomatovillian™

after all the nice weather, up in the 80's, we are getting a freeze, or likely 2 of them. Glad the tomatoes aren't out yet! Made sure I have propane and coffee, etc., and I am set to snuggle in and wait it out.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #1993
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I remember thundersnow once a few years back, but I thought it was in the fall. That's the only time I recall it here, about 30 mile WNW of Philadelphia.

I got my peas out nice and on time, about 3 weeks back. Soil temp was 43 at that time. I think it may well be colder, now. Some are sprouted when I dig in and check, but nothing emerging. There hasn't been two days in a row of decent weather. Red beets and more peas went in on the 24th. Soil temp was 46 for them in raised bed, according to my notes. Finally seeing emerging loops on the red beets after two weeks. All of those are under agribon, although I'm not sure how much it helps in this situation. A couple years ago my peas and beets went in on Mar 8th and were up by the 17th or maybe earlier. Some were under plastic and hoops, others uncovered.

I have lettuce and spinach and other spring stuff started under glass cold frame right on beds. I shifted the cold frames this week to seed new spots and covered the sprouts with AG19 hoops. They seem to be okay, but now I am seeing 25 F nights again in a couple days. A couple days ago those same forecasts said mid 30s, not mid 20s.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #1994
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

So this spring has been hardly a spring. We had some normal to slightly above normal highs in March as it was dry and sunny, but that made for below freezing nights 30/31 days in March, with 10 nights in the teens.

Following March has been this start to April (14 again to start today and about 16 expected tomorrow AM):

I usually have garlic growth of a couple inches by now and many years I'm direct sowing some cool season seeds. Right now my ground is frozen still. I always can leave spring veggie starts in the cold frame by now, but I'm having to bring them in at night with lows in the teens, even with my milk jugs and cover, teens still means upper 20s in the cold frame at night. So spring veggies will definitely get a late start this year, we'll see if it can warm up or if soil temperatures will be slow to warm as well and tomatoes, etc will need to go in late. A lot can change in the next 4-5 weeks.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; April 7, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #1995
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey wanted out.
It didn't take her long to want back in and is now taking a cat nap.