Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 23, 2016   #2011
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
That Shi-shi-to is Amazing! I probably need to grow it. Aren't tomato and pepper plants amazing, if no actual disease, they are very resilient and forgiving.
Yes so true and I think Barb was right about the fall pepper plants needing less water. We will see but I have cut back on the water for them and so far so good.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #2012
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
So cool.. yes what did you plant?

Ginny
my own seeds: Delicious, Black Beauty, Black Cherry (all 100% germination)
purchased: Sunrise Bumble Bee, Cosmic Eclipse, Solar Flare, Peach Blow Sutton, Ambrosia Orange UBX, Juane Flamme, Curtis Cheek
didn't germinate: Copper River, Black Brandywine (probably didn't give them the right temperature)

Last edited by maxjohnson; October 23, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2013
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

GINNY - HELP - I planted 2 teenagers sideways like you did last week. One was Kelloggs and the other SunGold. I didn't do anything different with the Kelloggs and SunGold; I kept both plants on the porch with shading. In general the SunGold's are much more forgiving than Kelloggs but the Kelloggs worked out fine and is in full sun now but the SunGold wilted on day 3. So I pulled the SunGold and did it again with another SunGold and it wilted also. I have another SunGold teenager left to try. I must be doing something wrong. Any tips?

I also have an adult SunGold with lots of fruit so I could always get a cutting if I want another plant.

MARSHA - How did your plant sale go? Also, what did you use for your lettuce germination packs? I want to try that.

Hope everyone's garden is doing well.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2014
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,
You started this thread a little over a year ago on August 1st of 2015. It now has over 2,000 posts in it! I have read a few posts in here that have caught my eye and found them quite informative. Barb thank you for starting this thread and thanks to all who have contributed it. I have this thread marked in memory banks for winter reading. Thank you all for sharing so many of your gardening experiences and so much of your knowledge.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2015
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
GINNY - HELP - I planted 2 teenagers sideways like you did last week. One was Kelloggs and the other SunGold. I didn't do anything different with the Kelloggs and SunGold; I kept both plants on the porch with shading. In general the SunGold's are much more forgiving than Kelloggs but the Kelloggs worked out fine and is in full sun now but the SunGold wilted on day 3. So I pulled the SunGold and did it again with another SunGold and it wilted also. I have another SunGold teenager left to try. I must be doing something wrong. Any tips?

I also have an adult SunGold with lots of fruit so I could always get a cutting if I want another plant.

MARSHA - How did your plant sale go? Also, what did you use for your lettuce germination packs? I want to try that.

Hope everyone's garden is doing well.
Barb,

The root end on mine was so big (from the painters cups being larger than the solo cups) that i made sure to get enough potting mix over them so they wouldnt dry out. I also watered them from the top for 2 to three days to make sure they were moist enough. The only thing I can think of is maybe the root ball was closer to the top and didnt wick enough on yours? If not that then I'm not sure. None of my wilted or seemed stressed until the hurricane and that just messed up most of the leaves from too much wind.

There were so few healthy leaves after the hurricane. Kind of like my Shi-shi-to plant. But they are recovering and growing like weeds for now.

Did the soil around the root ball seem dry maybe?

Ginny
Old October 25, 2016   #2016
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb the sale went gangbusters. We raised $1611.00, almost $500.00 better than last year, thanks for asking. The community garden has operating expenses of about 5K per year, so that weekend secured about a third. That's HUGE. The garden lets people grow their own food for sweat equity, so we are helping to feed their familieshealthy food at no cost. Everyone shares the harvests.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2017
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, can you take a few photos at various stages of the teenager plantout? Maybe we can diagnose what is going on.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2018
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb the sale went gangbusters. We raised $1611.00, almost $500.00 better than last year, thanks for asking. The community garden has operating expenses of about 5K per year, so that weekend secured about a third. That's HUGE. The garden lets people grow their own food for sweat equity, so we are helping to feed their familieshealthy food at no cost. Everyone shares the harvests.
Marsha,

That is such a wonderful cause you are supporting... :-) So awesome! You are definitely going to the good place!

Ginny
Old October 25, 2016   #2019
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - I'm not growing it in an EB - It is in a Root Pouch. I definitely watered enough; the first one I thought maybe I didn't plant the root ball deep enough, but not the case on the second one.

Will take pics on #3.

----
BTW - We have high night time temps starting tonight so I went ahead and checked which non-cherry tomatoes and these have set:

General Lee - EB: 1 , RP: 3
Dusky Rose, EB: 2, RP:1 ---- tons of blooms in both.
Champion 2 - EB: 2
Big Brandy EB:1
BrandyBoy RP:2, EB:3
Orange Slice RP:3, EB:1
Chef Orange: EB:2
Brad Gates Mix: EB:2 , RP: more
Momotaro : Black Bucket: 1

WildFred RP:1
RSS: RP:2

Cherries:

ICD - Cherry - tons
SunGold - tons
Painted Pink - some
Lizzaro - some
BeautyKing: RP:1

====
At this time last year, I only had Garden Gem tomatoes, so I am way ahead this year.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2020
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Barb,
I will be interested in learning how your BrandyBoys do in a pouch and Chef's Choice Orange tomatoes do in an EB.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; October 26, 2016 at 11:01 AM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2021
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I cant picture how you can plant them sideways in a root pouch. I wonder if the stems got crinkled.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2016   #2022
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Why sideways just clip leaves and bury them to their. necks does the same thing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #2023
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, are you using the same mixture in the root pouches as in the EB? I am asking because RP in my opinion should have more peat moss or similar material that can hold not just a moisture but other ingredients you feed your plants. Plus, being next to the pool, it can absorb chlorine from the bottom. That is if you use chlorine or the RPs are next to the pool. Just some ideas. Are the once you lost located in the same area?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2024
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Why sideways just clip leaves and bury them to their. necks does the same thing.

Worth

Worth,

I think Barb had somelike mine that were so tall by the time transplanted that we were trying to get more of the stem buried. See pics

Ginny
Old October 26, 2016   #2025
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, if the Beauty King you are growing is from the seeds I sent you it is not a cherry. It is a dwarf that has full size tomatoes on it.

Painted Pink does produce much later than ICD but it also keeps on producing when ICD slows down. That is why I like to grow both of them since it gives me extended harvest.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote