Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 26, 2016   #2026
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Barb, if the Beauty King you are growing is from the seeds I sent you it is not a cherry. It is a dwarf that has full size tomatoes on it.

Painted Pink does produce much later than ICD but it also keeps on producing when ICD slows down. That is why I like to grow both of them since it gives me extended harvest.
Kay,

How is your garden doing now?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2027
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - Yes, Beauty King one got mixed up. Looking forward to trying it.

ICD/Painted Pink - Thanks for the info. I have several of each. Painted Pink is just starting to produce fruits. The plants look so similar to each in growth habit.

I'm liking that ICD tomatoes are bigger than I originally expected. If it tastes anywhere as good as PP, I psyched.

Next summer will start ICD and SunGold before August 15th.

-----
Ginny - Exactly - I bet I bent the stem too much making the angle up.

Were those pictures you posted yesterday of the plants that stayed out in the storm? Amazing if it is.

-----------
Marsha - Great job on your plant sale. The 2 plants I got from the swap have buds on now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2028
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb. Which ones did you take from the swap. I am growing a seedling of Queen Marbena, I think I will try that special plant in my new 7 gallon root pouch. I love it already, and I haven't even tried it out yet.
It was great seeing you again, and I enjoyed meeting your husband too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2029
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I tried doing one of the teenagers in one of my 7 gallon swc pots and the stem bent too much and cracked. I was trying to show a neighbor that had pots like that how they could bury more of the stem but it was too tight of a turn so they didnt end up doing it. I tossed that plant because it was totally broken.

Yes those are the hurricane plants. This is going to sound funny but I have new neighbors on the south side of my camper. They have a really nice Airstream which is a beautful camper but it is small. So their camper doesnt block the sun like my old neighbors camper did. So my plants are in a prime sunny spot that is out of the wind. They are loving it. Other winters I either had to have them in a shadier spot out of the wind or in a sunny spot with relentless winds. They seem to be growing really well and making up for lost time. Its been so dry and warm so they probably think its spring... lol.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old October 26, 2016   #2030
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Even though my plants have bounced back, the hurrican set them a month behind. They are just now starting to have the amount of blossoms they had when the storm hit. And I was a month later getting down here than i had planned... so two months behind. Hopefully they will do ok when it gets cold and shorter days.

Ginny

Old October 26, 2016   #2031
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb,

Even though my plants have bounced back, the hurrican set them a month behind. They are just now starting to have the amount of blossoms they had when the storm hit. And I was a month later getting down here than i had planned... so two months behind. Hopefully they will do ok when it gets cold and shorter days.
Ginny, that is the beauty of having such a long growing season. I think that they will be fine. It will give you time 2 miss the ones that you had over the summer.
I hope you're going to be glad that we both nagged you into growing these this time.lol.
Old October 26, 2016   #2032
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, that is the beauty of having such a long growing season. I think that they will be fine. It will give you time 2 miss the ones that you had over the summer.
I hope you're going to be glad that we both nagged you into growing these this time.lol.
I am glad already!! I just love going outside a few times a day to look at them. So happy you guys talked me into it.

Ginny
Old October 26, 2016   #2033
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Kay - Yes, Beauty King one got mixed up. Looking forward to trying it.

Next summer will start ICD and SunGold before August 15th.
-----
A very interesting comment. Why not start some cherries earlier, given their ability to handle the heat.
But, what about starting some in May for a Florida Summer Heat Garden? It would be nice to have a few Cherries during the summer for salads. Probably a need for some shade. Maybe shade cloth or an area with afternoon shade and heavy mulch to keep the soil moist. Also a smaller plant that would work well in a container without the need for tall stakes and an indeterminate, so one doesn't have all the tomatoes at once.
Any thoughts about this? Also, what varieties may work best?
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2034
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
A very interesting comment. Why not start some cherries earlier, given their ability to handle the heat.
But, what about starting some in May for a Florida Summer Heat Garden? It would be nice to have a few Cherries during the summer for salads. Probably a need for some shade. Maybe shade cloth or an area with afternoon shade and heavy mulch to keep the soil moist. Also a smaller plant that would work well in a container without the need for tall stakes and an indeterminate, so one doesn't have all the tomatoes at once.
Any thoughts about this? Also, what varieties may work best?
Larry
In Summer of '15, the BCD was still producing tomatoes until mid June. I know this b/c I broke my wrist on June 9th, and had surgery on June 18th. Beginning June 18th, I couldn't go outside (could not sweat) so DH had to water for me; he wasn't consistent at all and just once a day. I had only kept a couple of plants to test and was watering them twice a day. By the time I got the stitches removed the plant was not how I left it.

Also, it was from a cutting so hadn't been 'tired' from pumping out fruit for months.

-----
I preordered some seeds from Fred Hempel (Artisan seeds) that is suppose to have a very long shelf life. I thought if I could get production somewhat late, could have fresh tomatoes most of the summer. Tomato is called Green Bee. Problem is seeds won't be available until Feb so pretty much excludes growing until 2018. I don't think I would grow these for the fall season as the only thing that really appeals to me is long shelf life in the summer.

Garden Gem had long shelf life too; weeks but Green Bee sounds like it could approach > 6 weeks.

----
Actually I think determinates would work better for the experiment. I would just stagger sowing them.

Another option is the "HEAT" tomatoes....start them in March so by May they would be at their optimal health/vigor and not tired. So if they set in May/Late May/early June, tomatoes should be ready to eat until mid-August.

Another thought is the Micros and just bring them inside.
Old October 26, 2016   #2035
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thanks Barb. Which ones did you take from the swap. I am growing a seedling of Queen Marbena, I think I will try that special plant in my new 7 gallon root pouch. I love it already, and I haven't even tried it out yet.
It was great seeing you again, and I enjoyed meeting your husband too.
It was great seeing you and Wayne too.

I took a Solar Flare and the one that is also called Raspberry Miracle. I randomly picked up RM and looked it up when I got home. Seems like a good choice. Both are in EB but paired with other tomatoes.

BTW - ALL my EB are doing well this year.

===
Remember to elevate the RP; I had much better results after doing that. Could be air pruning from every side. Also no fear of overwatering.

===
Did you make the little sacks for the lettuce seeds? I want to try that too.

===
Any fruit on Enjoya yet? -- I have one or two with the funky leaf cut out too.
Old October 26, 2016   #2036
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
It was great seeing you and Wayne too.

I took a Solar Flare and the one that is also called Raspberry Miracle. I randomly picked up RM and looked it up when I got home. Seems like a good choice. Both are in EB but paired with other tomatoes.

BTW - ALL my EB are doing well this year.

===
Remember to elevate the RP; I had much better results after doing that. Could be air pruning from every side. Also no fear of overwatering.

===
Did you make the little sacks for the lettuce seeds? I want to try that too.

===
Any fruit on Enjoya yet? -- I have one or two with the funky leaf cut out too.
I bought those little lettuce starters at home depot. They are Jiffy expandable peat pellets. No fruit on the Enjoya yet, but somene else gave me a link to a blog where 2 folks got fruits that were just yellow. Looks like it is a hybrid after all.
Old October 26, 2016   #2037
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

"the little sacks for the lettuce seeds"
What are you talking about? Please share.
thanks

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2038
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, lets hope someone will get the same fruits with stripes from Enjoya.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016   #2039
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
"the little sacks for the lettuce seeds"
What are you talking about? Please share.
thanks
Here's a link Ella. They come in 72 cell mini greenhouses, but I don't need the dome cover. They also come in pellet refill packs. You soak the flat dry pellets in water, and they expand. When ready to plant out, I peel back the netting and transplant.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ferry-Mor...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old October 26, 2016   #2040
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Marsha, lets hope someone will get the same fruits with stripes from Enjoya.
I am hoping so, but......