Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 3, 2016   #196
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

we do have a few palms in Vancouver, BC

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3464/...2629bd17_o.jpg

http://www.palmtreepassion.com/windmill-palm-tree.html

Last edited by PNW_D; January 3, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #197
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
we do have a few palms in Vancouver, BC

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3464/...2629bd17_o.jpg
Must be Washington palms.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2016   #198
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Are they all going to be grown in containers?
Yes D, in containers, either 5 gallon or 7 gallon. A few small ones in 3 gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Anything else you'd like to say about people in their late 70's being headstrong and I don't mean just with carpentry/

Carolyn, to be 77 next June or is that still too young. And of course I accept your very sincere apology as you knew I would .
Too young. Maybe in two Junes you'll qualify as late 70s!

Quote:
Very Happy and cute looking little boy of yours, but why is he wearing a typical Peruvian hat?

Carolyn
Thanks, he's a happy one. Got it at Wal-Mart, it's a Jack Skellington hat, a character from a claymation movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107688/ that has infiltrated everything. My boy tells me he even has a mansion at Disneyland. When he was a little younger his two favorite things were the The Skeleton Dance (1929) and the song from this movie.

And typical ________ (fill in the blank with any native artisan product) have all been swallowed up, digested, and regurgitated as cheaper Chinese versions, embroidered with hannah montana, duck dynasty, star wars, or whatever the fad is.

Nothing new, people in their early 70s such as yourself, have seen these things come and go once or twice I imagine.

Last edited by Gerardo; January 3, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2016   #199
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Gregori's Altai

I like this one. Productive and compact.

3 fruits, small medium large. Sliced is the large one. Good flavor. The cold may have gotten to them 'cause they're a bit grainy. I'm gonna give 'em another shot in the summertime.

top.gregoris altai.jpg

bottom.gregoris altai.jpg

gregoris altai.jpg

close up gregoris altai.tv.jpg

Last edited by Gerardo; January 4, 2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old January 5, 2016   #200
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it wasn't grainy for me, glad you liked it. Cold weather has done that to my late tomatoes before.

I had to look it up....the 5-peso coin is very slightly smaller than a US quarter, 5 mm.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #201
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yeah, it wasn't grainy for me, glad you liked it. Cold weather has done that to my late tomatoes before.

I had to look it up....the 5-peso coin is very slightly smaller than a US quarter, 5 mm.
It's actually a tiny bit larger.

Diameters:
25.50 mm for 5 peso
24.26 mm for US quarter

I sifted through everything and couldn't find a quarter, hence the substitute.

Altai will be back, definitely. Growing out a sampling of Warsaw Pact ones from MMMM. There's lots more, they'll get their chance later in the year .

Birjinikvtskey (???) beet.
Kazachka
Khirkiv
Kibits
Koraleva
Krainiy sever
Magyar Piros Boker
Mika's Red Bulgarian
Novikov Giant
Pervaya Lyubov
Petrovich
Rozoviyi Izumnyi
Sasha's Altai
Sakharnyi Pudovichok
Tsarskiy Podarok
Uralskiy Rozoyvi
Volovsko Srce Val
Zarnitsa
Zloty Ozarowski

I'll save seeds for all of them, and since there are few pollinators around the 1st fruits should be OK.

Last edited by Gerardo; January 5, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 5, 2016   #202
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I like this one. Productive and compact.

3 fruits, small medium large. Sliced is the large one. Good flavor. The cold may have gotten to them 'cause they're a bit grainy. I'm gonna give 'em another shot in the summertime.

Attachment 55453

Attachment 55454

Attachment 55455

Attachment 55456
For what's it's worth, I didn't like it and all and started out with seeds brought back from Siberia by what's his name and offered all that he brought back from Siberia on his then website.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Craig L and I bought every single variety he bought back and then split the seeds between us. And yes Ialso remember that not all packs had the amounts of seeds they were supposed to have.

I cannot believe that Craig made the comment about it being the best of those Siberian ones, I know I wouldn't have picked that one as the best or even near the best, but then, as is always said, your mileage may vary.

I looked at Tania's list of ones fromRussia, too long, so looked for the ones I remembered he also brought back which were Galina's Yellow,Mother Russia and Grandpa's ★★★★'s Plume and please no comments on that last one for it really IS a good TOMATO variety.

Carolyn
Old January 5, 2016   #203
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Very cool you're still getting tomatoes, I am so jealous.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #204
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
For what's it's worth, I didn't like it and all and started out with seeds brought back from Siberia by what's his name and offered all that he brought back from Siberia on his then website.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Craig L and I bought every single variety he bought back and then split the seeds between us. And yes Ialso remember that not all packs had the amounts of seeds they were supposed to have.

I cannot believe that Craig made the comment about it being the best of those Siberian ones, I know I wouldn't have picked that one as the best or even near the best, but then, as is always said, your mileage may vary.

I looked at Tania's list of ones fromRussia, too long, so looked for the ones I remembered he also brought back which were Galina's Yellow,Mother Russia and Grandpa's ★★★★'s Plume and please no comments on that last one for it really IS a good TOMATO variety.

Carolyn
I'm sure I'll find some good ones in the list above (#202). I want to give Gregori's Altai another shot in the middle of summer, with more sun and less rain/cold. I thought it was right down the middle type of flavor, others in household said "Keep this one. Keep it." So it'll get another shot.

As you mentioned before, nature-nurture on both tomatoes and tasters comes into play, so everyone gets at least one run in my particular setup, even "spitter" Krasnodar T!

I'm constantly bumping into endorsements for Grandpa's CP, so my comment will be if I procure seeds it'll be grown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Very cool you're still getting tomatoes, I am so jealous.
Keeping it going as long as possible, lots of rain and cold eves is compromising them a bit. Next batch of seedlings will get some type of plastic at night.
Old January 6, 2016   #205
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I'm sure I'll find some good ones in the list above (#202). I want to give Gregori's Altai another shot in the middle of summer, with more sun and less rain/cold. I thought it was right down the middle type of flavor, others in household said "Keep this one. Keep it." So it'll get another shot.

As you mentioned before, nature-nurture on both tomatoes and tasters comes into play, so everyone gets at least one run in my particular setup, even "spitter" Krasnodar T!

I'm constantly bumping into endorsements for Grandpa's CP, so my comment will be if I procure seeds it'll be grown.

Keeping it going as long as possible, lots of rain and cold eves is compromising them a bit. Next batch of seedlings will get some type of plastic at night.
And yes, you will find many on your list above that are good ones and I've grown many of them and offered them in my seed offers.

Happy growing to you.

Carolyn
Old January 6, 2016   #206
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And yes, you will find many on your list above that are good ones and I've grown many of them and offered them in my seed offers.

Happy growing to you.

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn. There's one in there you mentioned to skip over, and in true early 40s headstrong fashion I decided to give it a whirl anyway.

We'll call it a seed production run

Lots of rain, which makes my plants happy.

Yesterday I put together a batch of food for them to meet their end belly full. Most will be culled (1-2 wks) to make room for replacements.

Final meal was equal measures of alfalfa meal, crab meal, tomato tone, pasteurized sheep manure, and worm castings.
Old January 6, 2016   #207
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

More cut tomato pictures.

Worth
Old January 6, 2016   #208
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Oh, to be in my early 40's again!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2016   #209
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Yoder's

Apologies for no US quarter. Diameters: 25.50 mm for 5 peso-24.26 mm for US quarter

Per Worth's request, allow me to present Yoder's German Yellow

yoderstop tv.jpg

yoders bottom.tv.jpg

yoders sliced.tv.jpg

Pretty good yellow. Decent productivity.
Old January 7, 2016   #210
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks now I want an egg and tomato sandwich.

Just so folks know a US penny is exactly 0.750 or 3/4 of and inch wide and a coke or vegetable can is perfectly square for any normal needs.
Just in case you cant find a square.

Now back to my imaginary tomato and egg sandwich.

Worth