Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2014   #196
Hermitian
BANNED

In circa 2003 I was reviewing a monograph on mathematical genomics that presented these dynamics in tensor notation (although not specifically for tomatoes). It is a powerful tool for analysis albeit a non-native language for biologists. I believe the text was already in use at CalTech.
Old August 8, 2014   #197
bower
Tomatovillian™

This is so interesting, may explain some of the odd results in my F1's. One of them, for example, has some fruit with an extensive pithy core, that isn't seen in either parent. I hope it's not a trait that is heritable in subsequent generations. "Transgressive phenotype" is a great term. How dare they.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2014   #198
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I think I would err on the side of Occam on this one and not leap to epigenetics being the cause!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
This is so interesting, may explain some of the odd results in my F1's. One of them, for example, has some fruit with an extensive pithy core, that isn't seen in either parent. I hope it's not a trait that is heritable in subsequent generations. "Transgressive phenotype" is a great term. How dare they.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2014   #199
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Where's Occam's Razor when you need it? In the box with Schrodinger's cat.

Or is it?
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014   #200
bower
Tomatovillian™

Occam's razor, handy for cutting the pithy cores out of a few tomatoes when making sauce.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014   #201
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
It is amazing how much politics enters into the plant breeding world when it comes to GMO's. The article about transferring the venturii rpi gene does this so subtly most would not notice. First, they de-emphasize that it is a GMO. Second they talk about how important it is to use genetics instead of chemicals applied by tractors burning diesel fuel that compacts the soil unnecessarily. Third, they lean on the "feed the billions of hungry" in the world to convey a bland "we're just trying to help" message.

I am not against GMO's to start with, but it is irritating to read an article that is written to be politically correct.
I don't think its about political correctness or not: GMO's are seedy (no pun intended) because of their aggressive anti-free market tactics such as silencing dissent, buying out seed companies and forcing farmers to buy their seeds, and the general fact that many GMO companies have a company model that has roots in paint, chemicals and other purposefully deadly substances.

In the free market they don't seem to do well (flavrsavr), but they use their political influence to thwart the demand of consumers.

I don't want to live in a Soviet style world where I have to eat what I am told, but to live in a world where the consumer's tastes determines what makes it to the dinner table.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2014   #202
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162010000300012

Most of the S. habrochaites accessions were classified as R in the present study. In addition, one accession of this species was classified as HR, which agrees with several previous reports in the literature (Alexander et al., 1942; Alexander, 1959; Barksdale and Stoner, 1978; Barksdale, 1982; Maluf et al., 1985). Accessions of this wild species have been reported as the most promising sources of resistance to S. lycopersici in Solanum (section Lycopersicon) (Alexander et al., 1942; Maluf et al., 1985). From a practical breeding standpoint, the high levels of resistance to S. lycopersici identified in S. habrochaites accessions may be extremely useful since they can be promptly introgressed into the S. lycopersicum gene pool. This wild species has no major crossing barriers with cultivated tomatoes when serving as staminate (pollen) donor (Hogenboom, 1972). Therefore, S. lycopersici resistance in S. lycopersicum could be improved by using this wild species germplasm.

CNPH-1112 is the habrochaites accession they identified as HR. Is this the line you are working with Dar?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 10, 2014   #203
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I am working with LA2175 out of TGRC. We had the Scielo article linked in another thread in the crossing forum. I read it about 2 years ago and tried to chase down as many of the lines as I could. I was not able to find the source lines of CNPH-1112 but did find that it is a designation from the EMBRAPA plant breeding facility in Brazil. That article was the inspiration for me growing several wild species lines last year searching for septoria tolerance. My results clearly show that some S. Habrochaites are nearly immune to septoria while others are in a range from moderately to highly susceptible. LA2175 in my garden this year shows small amounts of septoria on leaves nearest the ground. The plants are healthy and thriving under garden conditions.

I grew 1 single plant of a cross between Piennolo del Vesuvio and LA2175 in my garden this year. It was moderately susceptible to septoria which indicates one or more recessive genes. The fruits were a distinctive orange color.

I also grew 2 plants of Piennolo (Lycopersicum) X LA0417 (Pimpinellifolium). The parent plant was significantly more septoria tolerant than the F1 in side by side conditions. Also, LA0417 is still growing and producing where the F1 has died.

Last edited by Fusion_power; August 10, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #204
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Review
Plant diseases that changed the world

Phytophthora infestans : the plant (and R gene) destroyer

Old August 11, 2014   #205
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Review
Plant diseases that changed the world

Phytophthora infestans : the plant (and R gene) destroyer
Although William Fry touts standing on the shoulders of giants, he certainly deserves such stature himself.

"DISEASE CONTROL Development of reliable, environmentally benign, and economically feasible management tactics is the immediate goal of many investigators ..."

Yes. Those of us in the cultivation business are tired of putting down 1.5 lbs or more of Copper Hydroxide into the soil per acre per year.
Old August 22, 2014   #206
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Broad compatibility in fungal root symbioses

Old August 22, 2014   #207
salix
Tomatovillian™

Another good read, at least the first part. I am looking forward to winter, and having more time to go through these articles at my leisure. Darrel, thanks for starting this thread; and Chris, for so many contributions.
Old August 22, 2014   #208
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Quite welcome. Feel free to post or PM if you want to discuss any of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Another good read, at least the first part. I am looking forward to winter, and having more time to go through these articles at my leisure. Darrel, thanks for starting this thread; and Chris, for so many contributions.

Old September 4, 2014   #209
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

The I2 resistance gene homologues in Solanum have complex evolutionary patterns and are targeted by miRNAs

Old September 7, 2014   #210
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Peach domestication

Intro:
It's the pits: Ancient peach stones offer clues to fruit's origins

Archaeological Evidence for Peach (Prunus persica) Cultivation and Domestication in China