Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2015   #196
bower
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations, Lindalana!!
My earliest flowers are on Kimberley crosses, and there are already a few looking spent and ready to drop.. can't wait to see a ltitle greenie..
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #197
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well fingers crossed - my tomatoes are in, but tonight and tomorrow lows are now predicted at 41 and 39. Peppers and basil and things are still waiting in the greenhouse. What a weird year.
Old May 18, 2015   #198
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

This time last year, I already had fruit on some plants. (Dwarf Jade Beauty if I recall correctly)
ah well...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #199
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

Had a pretty bad storm pass through today, Very high winds and hard rain. After the storm passed I went to check on my tomatoes I planted Friday. Some are pretty tall and not staked yet so I thought the winds might have done some damage, but they are fine, a couple have fruit just starting, hurray!
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #200
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

All tomatoes are out as of yesterday -- 26 in ground and four in grow bags. Bamboo stakes were pounded in, and this morning I went out and did my first round of tying. It was a bit chilly and they didn't look too happy, but by this afternoon they had perked up quite a bit.

The in ground eggplant and peppers went out as well. The hot peppers that are destined for grow bags are still in the mini green house.

I had my second kale harvest today, and by the end of the week I should be harvesting lettuce.

Bush beans were direct sowed last weekend and they are all up.

Pole beans need to go in the ground next, but I still need to retrieve my bean tower from the shed loft (my husband has his partially disassembled motorcycle in the way at the moment). I may just have to approximate where the bottom ring will go and plant the seeds!

And next weekend I will probably direct sow the cukes and zukes.

Almost there!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #201
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Tiny green tomato on my Stupice that I planted 3 weeks early using a dry cleaner bag over the tomato cage as a mini greenhouse.
Slg Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #202
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

We have a freeze warning for this night . Low of 27 expected. Right now it is 31 and clear skies. I covered all my outdoor garden tomatoes up, 65 plants!! I did not bother to cover my celery or garlic. I hope they fair well. I also covered the 14 tomatoes in my unheated greenhouse, and brought in a few trays of back ups. I have another 20 or so gallon potted maters I brought in, plus some herbs, hanging baskets , potted figs and other trays filled with various squash seedlings and melons etc.. We shall see what the morning brings. This is not good for the blooming fruit trees either.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #203
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, hope your tomatoes made it OK! That sort of weather will cause all kinds of problems.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #204
tam91
Tomatovillian™

And today we have - hail! Aaaaaah! Well it was little tiny hail, and the tomato plants don't look dead - not yet anyway. Really?????
Old May 20, 2015   #205
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Ginny, hope your tomatoes made it OK! That sort of weather will cause all kinds of problems.
Thank you PhilaG., Unfortunately I lost close to 45 or so tomato plants!!
Most of those were planted in my garden by the gh. The varieties were Atkinson, Marglobe, Lurley's Paste, George Ditsika's Italian Red, Grandma Mary's and Amish Paste. My sauce and canning tomatoes. They are mush now... Even covered well they did not survive that heavy freeze..

I also lost a lot of my Chinese celery.. Although some of the center of stalk looks fine, the outside is mush. I will cut the mushy outer leaves off and hope the green center is enough to continue growing. It will just be set back a bit. My bed of Tall Utah celery survived.. Thank goodness!! I do have another half tray I have for backup and I have some small Chinese celery seedlings also..so that is good!

Garden #2: I have close to 50+ tomatoes planted and I only lost about 8 plant's to the freeze and another 6 got a bit of freezer burn on the tips of leaves, but will survive. The rest of the heirloom varieties went unscathed. I lost a few more Lurley's Paste and Amish Paste in this garden also..

The good news is all the tomatoes in my gh survived, minus one! I lost a beautiful Morado Vejer De La Frontera that had a few flowers.. I have a few MVDLF in pot's that are fine because I brought them in..The beautiful Margaret Curtain got nipped at the top, but will be fine. She was also in flowering bud..

More good news: I have a few backups of various herlooms I love and lost etc.. just no more Atkins or Marglobe. Still plenty to can and slice if I have a good garden season. I accidently left a backup tray of Amish Paste out in the garden shed last night so the whole tray is mush..

Ginny

PS: Ughhh.. Just got another freeze alert for Thurs-Friday

Ginny

I am glad the potatoes did not sprout yet..
Old May 20, 2015   #206
kath
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear of your losses, Ginny- all that work! Glad to hear that some made it and you've got some more in the greenhouse, though. It's such a disappointment when that happens. Do hope you have extra seed on hand- I no longer have any for the varieties you mentioned.:mmer:
We've got low 40's for the rest of this week and we're hoping they don't dip into the danger zone at the last minute, which has happened before. I've lost plants in the garden when the thermometer read a low of 37. I've still got backups for most- found a home for them if I don't need them and they are supposed to be picked up Friday, but the low Fri. night is now at 41 so I'm not sure I'm going to let them go until Sat.

Hope everyone gets through without any more victims-

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #207
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

we had 42 at 7 am this morning and day did not improve. Plants planted outside in open sulking but steady. Hopefully this is last day of this cold for us.
Ginny, so sorry to hear! What have you covered your plants with? That is a lot of losses.
Out of my own mishap- messed up foliar spray of sea minerals with AACT/humic acid, am seeing excellent resilience on 0-33 variety. Suggest you look into those- it was created by breeder Saraev for zones like yours.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #208
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
So sorry to hear of your losses, Ginny- all that work! Glad to hear that some made it and you've got some more in the greenhouse, though. It's such a disappointment when that happens. Do hope you have extra seed on hand- I no longer have any for the varieties you mentioned.:mmer:
We've got low 40's for the rest of this week and we're hoping they don't dip into the danger zone at the last minute, which has happened before. I've lost plants in the garden when the thermometer read a low of 37. I've still got backups for most- found a home for them if I don't need them and they are supposed to be picked up Friday, but the low Fri. night is now at 41 so I'm not sure I'm going to let them go until Sat.

Hope everyone gets through without any more victims-

kath
Thank's Kath, I have a few seeds left for the varieties I lost. I hope I get through the next few nights.. another freeze warning for tonight. Frost for friday. Plant's are protected and hope for no more losses. I want to have plenty of tomatoes to can..
I will plant the remaining plant's after June 1st or when no more chances of frost.. Fingers crossed.

I gave some flats of plant's away. That was before I lost so many, but I will get by cause I still have several flats and a number of them I up-potted. Just lost more of the ones I wanted for canning. Lurley's Paste did so well for me last year that is why I decided to grow a few flats this year. I was sad when the majority of the paste's froze. But I do have a few that were saved. I hope they pump out the tomatoes again.

I really hope your temp's dont dip down in the danger zone. I hate to hear when people lose the crops they work so hard for. I dont blame you for thinking about holding on to the spare tomatoes till your free n clear.. we never know what is around the corner..

I think I am going to keep the plant's in the house the next few day's. I am tired of dragging them in and out. And I will just keep things covered up till Saturday..

I have pole beans to plant soon. Plus I received my fruit order from Nourse Farms yesterday. I think I will wait a few day's before I do any more planting though.

I forgot to mention the asparagus that I planted last spring, came up, and got nipped also. I thought asparagus was hardier than that??

Hope everyone elses gardens are doing well with this wacky weather...

Ginny
Old May 20, 2015   #209
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
we had 42 at 7 am this morning and day did not improve. Plants planted outside in open sulking but steady. Hopefully this is last day of this cold for us.
Ginny, so sorry to hear! What have you covered your plants with? That is a lot of losses.
Out of my own mishap- messed up foliar spray of sea minerals with AACT/humic acid, am seeing excellent resilience on 0-33 variety. Suggest you look into those- it was created by breeder Saraev for zones like yours.
Linda, It was a lot of losses. Never lost that many before, but, it was a hard freeze. I cover each tomato plant with round, heavy duty 12" drainage pipe. 18" inches high. My husband get's them free at work. I top that with a feed sack, then a board, then we go down the double rows and cover all with heavy tarps. We make sure the tarps are anchored down all around with long logs.

I will look up the foliar spray you mentioned. What is the 0-33 variety? Is that a tomato variety? Thank's..

Ginny
Old May 21, 2015   #210
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

We had 32 Degrees here overnight yesterday and so I went and bought some PVC pipe and plastic and covered them before dark. This morning it was 35 and cloudy and it was cloudy the night before, so no frost. We still have cold nights through Saturday night and a couple of them are supposed to be clear,so looking like frost. So far all the tomato plants look good. When I checked them at first light this morning the plastic covering was wet inside, is that normal on a cold night?
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote