Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 9, 2013   #196
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted and NarnianGarden
Old December 10, 2013   #197
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Tuesday, Dec.10th pics of Garden with snow in NJ.

IMG_2300.jpg View of raised herb garden bed covered in snow.

IMG_2301.jpg View of raised garden bed covered in snow.

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg View of raised garden bed covered in snow.
Old December 10, 2013   #198
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Ohhh - thanks for sharing your snow Alfredo! So amazing (to this California girl) to see the difference between your summer and winter yards. Not that it's balmy by any means here. Lows are in the high 30s right now. But I will certainly enjoy your snowy yard from over here, especially since I don't have to shovel it or drive in it .

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2013   #199
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Alfredo! That's a far cry from what you were showing us before! Everything in your garden looks like it's sleeping. Sleep well, Garden! Get ready for spring.
Old December 10, 2013   #200
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Ohhh - thanks for sharing your snow Alfredo! So amazing (to this California girl) to see the difference between your summer and winter yards. Not that it's balmy by any means here. Lows are in the high 30s right now. But I will certainly enjoy your snowy yard from over here, especially since I don't have to shovel it or drive in it .

Lyn
It's too balmy here! We are 8 degrees above normal, and rain nearly every day. We are supposed to cool off and it's supposed to be the dry season!
The snow looks pretty though.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2013   #201
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it's not that much snow actually, maybe 4 inches if that...another snow storm is supposed to come by this Saturday for the the NorthEast. Haven't had to shovel yet.
Old December 12, 2013   #202
tedln

We got four inches of solid ice last Friday. It finally started melting a little today. I drove into town today and couldn't believe how many metal buildings have simply collapsed under the weight of the ice. One large horse arena with bleachers had the entire metal roof totally collapsed to the ground. A lot of cars have been damaged from falling and flying ice. I hope we don't get any more ice storms this year.

Ted
Old December 31, 2013   #203
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Anmore Dewdrop Seedling sprouting, Dec.31, 2013.

Pic of the first "Anmore Dewdrop" tomato seedling sprouting. This is my first attempt at growing smaller tomato plants (specifically the varieties: Anmore Dewdrop and Mohamed) indoors overwinter. See how things pan out with the grow lights and heat mat.

IMG_2389.jpg
Old December 31, 2013   #204
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the pictures you have posted Alfredo. Looking forward to seeing more great pictures from you in the new year.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #205
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default i look forward to growing those krims from seed

Alfredo, I'm so greatful and can't wait to try them in my new 72 cell seedling tray kit complete with heatpad and 65 inch dome. What do you use for soil starter?
Old February 24, 2014   #206
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
Alfredo, I'm so greatful and can't wait to try them in my new 72 cell seedling tray kit complete with heatpad and 65 inch dome. What do you use for soil starter?
Hey nnjjohn,
I've been using coir the past several years, and it works fine for me, and before that I would always use the organic seedstarting mix from Gardener's Supply Company.
Old February 24, 2014   #207
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default seed starter

The reason I asked is because I had seeds fail using some stater potting soil I bought at home depot.. it was full of trigs but looked and felt soft enough.. forget what brand but it wasn't miracle grow. btw where do i find this stuff you recommend? hope all is well with all this crazy weather!
Old February 24, 2014   #208
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
The reason I asked is because I had seeds fail using some stater potting soil I bought at home depot.. it was full of trigs but looked and felt soft enough.. forget what brand but it wasn't miracle grow. btw where do i find this stuff you recommend? hope all is well with all this crazy weather!
Ah ok, you definitely don't want to use regular potting soil to start seeds. The only ones I would reccomend using would be a seed starting mix (which is usually peat based), a germinating mix, or coir. You can find everything for seed starting at Gardener's Supply Company. Their website is www.gardeners.com

They have good and reliable service, never had any problems with them. I really like this fertilizer they sell that's specifically for seedlings & houseplants, it's called PHC (Plant Health Care), great stuff, my plants loved it.
Old February 24, 2014   #209
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
Ah ok, you definitely don't want to use regular potting soil to start seeds. The only ones I would reccomend using would be a seed starting mix (which is usually peat based), a germinating mix, or coir. You can find everything for seed starting at Gardener's Supply Company. Their website is www.gardeners.com

They have good and reliable service, never had any problems with them. I really like this fertilizer they sell that's specifically for seedlings & houseplants, it's called PHC (Plant Health Care), great stuff, my plants loved it.
thanks Alfredo,I will certainly look into it,, good night
Old February 28, 2014   #210
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling starter miracle grow

I know it is too early to start seedlings but, was at HD today and bought an 8 qt bag of seed starter mix miracle grow for my trays. Suppose to fortified with all the essential minerals and fertilizers as well as a good ph for starting seeds.. I had no idea potting soil in the seed trays was a mistake until after witnessing poor germination results and the low percentage survival rate ( thin stems)of the last seasons seedings that did struggle to grow big enough for transplant. This time , I am prepared to follow specific instructions using the starter kits I purchased. I want to sample test these smaller dome trays /heat mat and little led grow bulbs and the food packet that came with the kit. I can seed some herbs and see how well the grow led bulbs work in advance of my tomato seeds which i will probably start in early-mid April.