Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 6, 2008   #196
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Wow, a 20 page cucumber thread! I love cucumbers and hope to get lots this year. I had seeds for lemon cucumber so I have 2 plants growing. I've never tried these before. Please tell me they are good, LOL! Also had seeds for some Burpee improved something that needs to get transplanted, along with some fernleaf dill. My mom wants me to make pickles...I don't know about that.
Old May 6, 2008   #197
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Poona Keera germinated for me outside in the pot in 3 days.
Old May 6, 2008   #198
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Lemon cucumbers are wierd! They taste ok, they grow fast, they grow when nothing else will grow. They have a very woody taste to me and the trick is to pick them before they get too ripe. They are interesting enough I will grow them again, just not this year! I used to get cukes that all looked like yellow balloons and now I wonder if they were not mispackaged lemons!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008   #199
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I need to put Poona Keera on my l ist for next year...It sounds very interesting!
Old May 6, 2008   #200
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Cucumber to me is a little like Poona Kheera, but smaller and not quite as productive. And they should be picked when they just start to turn yellow, and way before they get any brown or they get woody as described. Still a good overall cucumber.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008   #201
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I didnt realize that day length had anything to do with Diva's production. I did start it earlier last year but it still got off to a slow start. Day length is increasing at this point but I am beginning to see a few more flowers so we will see. I will say this, even with a Daconil regimen my Boston pickling vareity is showing signs of foliage problems while the diva stll looks great. It lasted longer in my garden last year than any other cuke variety.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #202
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Boston Pickling is looking real bad, powdery mildew I think. Probably going to have to pull it this week
Old May 8, 2008   #203
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just got my first female flower on Poona Kheera today. I hand-pollinated of course.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #204
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

If anything, the increased early day light and staying light until much later, usually does not occur until summer, I would think all plants including cukes would do better faster! But then it has been extremely cool here at night and already in 80's in the daytime. Maybe with the extra light and extra cool at night the plants are all confused! I know I am!
Old May 8, 2008   #205
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I planted inside seeds for Poona Kheera 7 days ago and they are already 2"+ tall. They are growing like wild fire.

I am also going to grow the following:
Boston Pickling
Korean
Lemon
Mexican Sour Gherkin(I know, not cucumber, but)
National Pickling
Suhyo Long Slicing

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008   #206
duajones
Tomatovillian™

For those of you that are growing Poona Kheera, I would like to know how many days from seed to fruit. I had posted several times that PK came in for me real early at 42 days or so, but after going through some notes, the earliest was 39 days. Ridiculously early.

Edit to add, I hand pollinated the first several female flowers
Old May 8, 2008   #207
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

You are more than welcome to seed from my zucchini! Never saved seed from any squash, is there any trick to it like tomatoes or just dry and save?

Dean I wish my stuff would start growing like wildfire! Seems everything got two leaves and stopped....so here I sit waiting Everything here is slow, slow, slow!

Storms expected tonight so I guess I need to move the potted tomatoes under cover....
Old May 8, 2008   #208
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Am. Gardener, Territorial catalog's section on cuke culture says that parthenocarpic cukes are triggered to produce fruit by low temps, short day length and plant age. I knew I'd seen it somewhere! I have not grown a hybrid cuke for several years but I was guessing I'd gotten that info from Territorial or Johnny's.

So I guess any of those three things will get the plants going. Hope you guys gets some Divas soon. Most of my Snow's are up and none of my Suyo Longs have sprouted yet. It's gonna be a while before I'm able to pick any.
Old May 8, 2008   #209
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I will try it ! Ok tie the blossoms shut? what like with string? or should I just remove them completely? Which brings me to the Dive, Sweet Success and Cool Breezes, are they not all parthenocarpic? So do I need to do the same for them? Want to do this right if I am going to save seed for next year!

Kelley
Old May 8, 2008   #210
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Diva is a parthenocarpic variety.