Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 12, 2016   #2131
ChefBertMor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Bert,Leaf curl is usually a virus, sometimes it can be a result of herbicide airborne from a neighboring source, since tomatos are very vulnerable to herbicide spray.
Usually it's a virus. If so, it is given to u our plant by either/ whiteflies , aphids, thrips, or tomato suck bugs. Use yellow sticky traps for whiteflues, thrips, and also leaf miner flies. Spray with pyrethrin or permethrinwith a squeeze of soap for the other 2. Preventive sprays should be done every 7-10 days, and also after a heavy rain.
Im not surprised to hear thrip may be a cause of leaf curl. Ficus plants are part of our developments identity and were widely infested with thrip. White flies and their gossamer tents were a real problem in my first garden that led me to abandon gardening for a few years.

Pyrethrin is Severin, right? Could neem oil be substituted? I've never seen yellow stick traps, what are they called in the stores?

Thanks for the heads up
Old November 12, 2016   #2132
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yellow sticky traps :https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Sticky...w+sticky+traps

Seven is totally different than pyrethrin.

Thrips cause spotted wilt virus. Whiteflies (only the silver leaf type, not the ficus ones), and tomato suck bugs cause Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. Aphids including the black winged aphids cause cucumber mosaic virus of tomatoes.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #2133
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Marsha - Do you think I have a Virus / herbicide?. On the big picture taken on 10/31 is when I first started noticing it thinking it was wind damage. On that picture the bottom leaves are fine; any recent new growth is damaged.

Welcome Bert - Considerations for your wife: Maglia Rosa
Other Possibilities - a multi-flora red tomato.

The smallest tomatoes I ever grew was Matt's Wild Cherry. Productive, taste was really good and tomato-y but a total beast for a plant.

The only red grape I remember growing was Juliet - Productive but thick skin which I don't like.
Barb, might be either, but if it is anything, it's a very mild case. I would see if the plant grows out of it for a few weeks.
Old November 15, 2016   #2134
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha - The plant is flowering a lot; I took some of those funky leaves off and totally trimmed back it's companion.

I really need to start trimming these back. I have cinder blocks and these really heavy round cements blocks in the back to keep them from blowing over. So far only the wind knocked 2 down. Actually one into the other - now I have them at different angles.

Pics taken today by DH: Total Beasts - the short ones on the left were cuttings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dwarf Plants 11-15 (250x400).jpg (103.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Plants pic 2 11-15.jpg (454.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Tomato Plants pic 1 11-15.jpg (500.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; November 15, 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2135
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Marsha - The plant is flowering a lot; I took some of those funky leaves off and totally trimmed back it's companion.

I really need to start trimming these back. I have cinder blocks and these really heavy round cements blocks in the back to keep them from blowing over. So far only the wind knocked 2 down. Actually one into the other - now I have them at different angles.

Pics taken today by DH: Total Beasts - the short ones on the left were cuttings.
Great Pictures and those are some very healthy looking plants.
Way to Go Barb,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2136
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Are those plants real Barb? My 20 mo granddaughter would clap and go "yaaaaay".
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2137
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb,You have such a great amount of fruit set on the root pouches ones. Also, what a very large patio. Lucky you.
Have you been buzzing? I sure have. Loving this season so much. We deserve it after last season sucked so bad.
Old November 15, 2016   #2138
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I also hope you don't mind me mentioning that I think your EB tomato plants are getting too much nitrogen. Lush green growth but not that much fruit, is why I think this.
I would Increase the phosphorous, and trim out a lot of the thicket, especially the suckers that grow right below a blossom truss.
Old November 15, 2016   #2139
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb, oasis, is the word for your garden.
Marsha is correct, but may I say that your garden looks deliciously green.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2140
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Your tomato plants look so healthy!! I cannot leave mine that bushy because they have dew on them all night long... basically dripping wet by morning so i have to keep them pruned pretty thin. I love the way yours look... :-) are you getting lots of blossoms and fruit set?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2016   #2141
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb,

Your tomato plants look so healthy!! I cannot leave mine that bushy because they have dew on them all night long... basically dripping wet by morning so i have to keep them pruned pretty thin. I love the way yours look... :-) are you getting lots of blossoms and fruit set?

Ginny

Ginny, I have had to go out each morning for the past 3 days and shake the tomato cages to get the dew shaken off. They were dripping!
Old November 15, 2016   #2142
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I only had dew on the leaves yesterday (Monday) but the sun came out and burned it off. Today was just much cooler but no dew.

Mike took the picture b/c I know I have to start pruning. After the picture was taken, I started pruning one of those plants (Champion 2 - seeds from you Ginny) and there was 25ish tomatoes just in the middle section. I will get a picture tomorrow.

The branches in the EBs are so co-mingled it's hard to tell which plant they belong to.

I've been supplementing the EBs with the Masterblend formula which includes Calcium Nitrate and magnesium.

I think the season is just phenomenal; I can tell with the cuttings that are rooting and flowering without anything.

I have been buzzing but there are several turquoise bees always around buzzing too.

My cucumber plant has bees (regular honey type) constantly. The turquoise bees don't go near the cucumber plant.

Last edited by Barb_FL; November 15, 2016 at 09:58 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #2143
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I only had dew on the leaves yesterday (Monday) but the sun came out and burned it off. Today was just much cooler but no dew.

Mike took the picture b/c I know I have to start pruning. After the picture was taken, I started pruning one of those plants (Champion 2 - seeds from you Ginny) and there was 25ish tomatoes just in the middle section. I will get a picture tomorrow.

The branches in the EBs are so co-mingled it's hard to tell which plant they belong to.

I've been supplementing the EBs with the Masterblend formula which includes Calcium Nitrate and magnesium.

I think the season is just phenomenal; I can tell with the cuttings that are rooting and flowering without anything.

I have been buzzing but there are several turquoise bees always around buzzing too.

My cucumber plant has bees (regular honey type) constantly. The turquoise bees don't go near the cucumber plant.
Barb- are you putting tulle on your cucumbers at night still?
Old November 16, 2016   #2144
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

We should definitely weigh our tomatoes this year. Not to be competitive but to learn which ways are producing the most since I think we are all doing things different with regards to fertilizer and pruning. Barb do you have a feet strip and also you are supplementing with master blend? Or are you using master blend only?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; November 16, 2016 at 07:27 AM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2016   #2145
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Because of you I have also been supplementing with 1 teaspoon per week of Calcinit, and I bought some pure Epsom salts generic Publix brand, which I also put 1 teaspoon oer week down the tube of the EBseason. The Epsom salt is pure MgSo4 and super cheap. Both together are the same as Calmag, but bought separately they are way cheaper. I am going to mix some of the 2 together to have an easier application.
I put them into the tube then add water to mix the next morning. Gives them time to dissolve then adding the water spreads them.
The Tomato Tone takes care of the rest. Never have I seen so many blossoms, and fruit Set! Yay Barb!