Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2016   #211
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Mine is not doing well at all. PNW, you know.
Is it doing as well as your other varieties or is it just the Daniel Burson that is not performing very well? I am just wondering if your tomatoes in general are doing poorly or if it is just this one.
Old July 2, 2016   #212
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Is it doing as well as your other varieties or is it just the Daniel Burson that is not performing very well? I am just wondering if your tomatoes in general are doing poorly or if it is just this one.
You are right. Actually I have a bad year in terms of fruits actualy growing on most of my plants
Do you have a shoulder that I can borrow.
Just kidding.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #213
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am confused BigVanVader..... In post #2 you said that you started 20 Daniel Burson plants so I thought that you had more of these growing...
No ma'am, I sold some and gave some to family and kept 2. I only grow 2 or 3 of new varieties so I can grow more varieties in my limited space. If it does well and taste great it will be back in larger number next year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2016   #214
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Oh... OK. Thank you, because I was using your numbers in counting of plants grown to check leaf types and if you only grew 2 then my conclusions could possibly not be so accurate.
Old July 2, 2016   #215
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
You are right. Actually I have a bad year in terms of fruits actualy growing on most of my plants
Do you have a shoulder that I can borrow.
Just kidding.
Gardeneer
I'm so sorry that you are having a bad season. Sure, here I will lend you my shoulder.
Old July 3, 2016   #216
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi. So I'm trying to upload photos but having trouble. My two plants are very robust with huge leaves that are very dark green. Fruit is setting. Now if I can keep the squirrels off I might actually have tomatoes. Will post photos later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (270.2 KB, 192 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #217
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thought I posted two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (351.4 KB, 194 views)
Old July 4, 2016   #218
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Sharon your plants are looking really good there. They sure are flowering beautifully. You are ahead of me so far.

I hope that you find a way to out-smart those squirrels because these are too good to share with them. Perhaps some netting will do.
Old July 4, 2016   #219
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to put some thing around them. But definitely some critter has been swinging from the plants because I found several plants with what looked like they were gnawed at. Bummer!
Old July 4, 2016   #220
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I've got two Daniel Burson growing. 1 is Potato Leaf, the other Regular Leaf. I am keeping an eye on the RL, for fruit comparison. Perhaps I got it mixed up...2 out of 3 were PL, 1 RL. My PL look just like Sharon's. I counted 15 tomatoes on, at least another 15+ flowers. Very healthy, bushy plant. Absolutely no signs of disease. If it tastes as good as it looks, it will be a winner for me.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #221
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, I also have 2 Potato Leaf and 1 Regular Leaf Daniel Burson Growing. I have picked many ripe tomatoes from each plant. The tomatoes all look the same on my plants and all taste the same. The only difference is the leaves. I have pictures of the plants and the ripe tomatoes. I hope to post some pictures this week if I have time.
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #222
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear they look and taste the same. However, I guess we are to pass on the seeds of only the potato leaf ones. I wonder if they will both have the same vitality throughout the growing season.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #223
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoitall View Post
Farmette, I also have 2 Potato Leaf and 1 Regular Leaf Daniel Burson Growing. I have picked many ripe tomatoes from each plant. The tomatoes all look the same on my plants and all taste the same. The only difference is the leaves. I have pictures of the plants and the ripe tomatoes. I hope to post some pictures this week if I have time.
It is interesting that you both have RL plants out of this offer. I know of 157 plants grown and out of them there have been 4 reports of RL's showing up. Because the fruits are reported to be the same and that the percentage of RL plants is too low of an occurrence for this to be crossed seeds, I would say that Daniel Burson is still a bit unstable. Perhaps it's parent 'Daniels' is still trying to show through a bit.
Old July 5, 2016   #224
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is interesting that you both have RL plants out of this offer. I know of 157 plants grown and out of them there have been 4 reports of RL's showing up. Because the fruits are reported to be the same and that the percentage of RL plants is too low of an occurrence for this to be crossed seeds, I would say that Daniel Burson is still a bit unstable. Perhaps it's parent 'Daniels' is still trying to show through a bit.
Daniels is a potato-leaved variety; Indian Stripe is the regular leaf parent. Btw, all the seeds you sent to me were PL. I started later than normal this year but so far so good.

kath

Last edited by kath; July 5, 2016 at 09:45 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #225
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Daniels is a potato-leaved variety; Indian Stripe is the regular leaf parent. Btw, all the seeds you sent to me were PL. I started later than normal this year but so far so good.

kath
Thanks for keeping me in line kath..... I have not been quite the same since my surgery...