Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2013   #211
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
Wow...I am so impressed/jealous of you all with your long grow lists! I am almost embarrassed to post my (very) tiny by comparison list for this year, but here it goes...

Sungold (F1)
Napa Grape (F1)
Green Zebra Cherry
Stupice
Jaune Flammée
Eva Purple Ball
Kellogg's Breakfast
Neves Azorean Red
BucksCounty Girl, I'm surprised you are not growing Bucks County Hybrid (aka Red Brandywine)!
Old March 27, 2013   #212
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
BucksCounty Girl, I'm surprised you are not growing Bucks County Hybrid (aka Red Brandywine)!
Hi There, barkeater! I actually did trial one plant of Red Brandywine last year (how could I not?), but it didn't produce until very late (around October) due in part to the very high temps we had all summer. The two fruit I did get off of that plant, while very nice, couldn't justify me bringing it back this year. It is by no means off my "list" but since there are so many other varieties out there and I have such limited space (only enough for about 12 plants) I'm going to have to stick to the really outstanding (for me) varieties until I get to try some more!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #213
charley
Tomatovillian™

well i jumped the gun and lost all126 tomatoe plants last night.and every thing else peppers beans squash every thing but the beets.i can only find some of the plants i had,so all new but sad grow list
kosovo
dr caroly
big cheef
grandpa willie
indian stripe
opalka
coyote
captian lucky
jds c tex
maria peace
spudakee
stump of the world
carbon
black plum
BLUSH
annas noir
argg
anna russian
hawia pineapple
stupice
amish gold
LIME GREEN SALAD
brandy plum
limmony
purple calabash
orange russian
pork chop
lollipop
momotaro
purple haze
foxy lady
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #214
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
well i jumped the gun and lost all126 tomatoe plants last night.and every thing else peppers beans squash every thing but the beets.i can only find some of the plants i had,so all new but sad grow list
kosovo
dr caroly
big cheef
grandpa willie
indian stripe
opalka
coyote
captian lucky
jds c tex
maria peace
spudakee
stump of the world
carbon
black plum
BLUSH
annas noir
argg
anna russian
hawia pineapple
stupice
amish gold
LIME GREEN SALAD
brandy plum
limmony
purple calabash
orange russian
pork chop
lollipop
momotaro
purple haze
foxy lady
Sorry to hear about your garden losses, Charley, but I think you've got a wonderful list for round 2. Hope all goes well with these.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #215
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

These are possibilities for my 2014 seed offer. I did this list in an e-mailtonight, sent to myself and am cutting and pasting it here.

Here's the list of what's being grow out this summer. No way to know what the results will be until the end of summer as to whether the plants flourished, what seed production was like, etc. Of the ones listed I hope to grow about 20 here at home, well Freda does for me, and my choices were based on preference and seed amounts, seeds to the now four folks who do seed production for me took precedence.

I apologize in advance if some variety names are not spelled correctly, but no way am I going back in that bag that has the original envelopes with seed packets with names on them right now. And I apologize to any of you here at Tville if what you sent me isn't on the list. I now have four folks helping and we rotate every year as to who goes first and selects, then B goes, then C goes well, you get the picture. <G>

Grandma Aiello's
Unknown ( came as Black Cherokee Heart initially)
Medovoe Serdtse
Primorsky Pacug
Brazilian Giant
Turkish Ayla
Istra
Giroc
Trusa Gora ( spelling ?, I have it but not here by the computer)
Iva's Red Berry
Orangevyi Velikan
Sakarnyi Slon ( Sugary Elephant, gotta love it, LOL
Mdme Garnier Rouge
Denar
Turkish ( from Victory Seeds)
Lehrertomate
Buddy Runyon
King of Siberia
Delano Green Ripe
Loka (from Prison Market, Accra, Ghana, fruit pictures look great)
Sakarya Pembisi
Anna Margaret's Heart
Pink Bumble Bee
Purple Bumble Bee
Normandia
Heart Breaker
Herodes
Dixiewine
Raspberry Miracle
Sen-say
Teton de Venus Blanc
Kardinal Mazarini
Austin's Black Cherry
Selbo's Red Ribbed
Moromskiy
Rabideau
Henryka
Linhart's Giant
Emmy

Carolyn, who also notes that more than one person wanted the same variety, and I still had to send seeds to Craig, so I sent the same varieties to more than one person to kind of keep the peace so no seeds to send to Craig for a plant for me. Poor Carolyn. The good news is that after interacting with my seed producer friends, some for many years, we seem to share the same interest in wanting to grow mostly indet varieties and we also seem to experience the same tastes, roughly, for individual varieties when I've grown the same ones.

EDITED TO ADD, that I forgot to put Randy's Cherry Bomb on the list.
Old April 5, 2013   #216
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Well here goes. I didn't post this earlier because I'm having trouble narrowing it down (LOL). I am embarrassed to say that I just couldn't seem to come up with a list I could work with. I can only fit about 45 plants here and there throughout the yard including the garden. So I'm going to be once again begging my sister to use her yard and get 1 tomato per plant before she kills them.

At least this year my brother in law really wants to try. I hope!

I have a lot of paste varieties here because only myself and my older son actually eat fresh tomatoes in this house, my younger one will eat sauce/salsa and it would be nice not to have to do so much "cooking down".

4th of July PL
Airdrie Classic
Barlowe Jap
Bear Claw
Black Plum
Black Sea Man (repeat)
Black Zebra
Box Car Willie
Carbon
Carbon Copy
Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple
Chico Grande Paste
Chocolate Stripes
Christopher Columbus
Danko (repeat)
Desters
Dixiewine
Domingo
Dr. Lyle
Dr. Wyches Yellow
Earls Faux (repeat)
Eva Purple Ball
Farmstand Pink (repeat)
Fish Lake Oxheart
German Extreme Dwarf Bush (repeat)
Goose Creek
green doctors
Ingegnoli Gigante Liscio
Ingegnoli White
Iraqui
israeli 2 pounder
jersey giant
juliet f2
Liz Birt
martino's roma
Old Garden Pink
Persimmon
Purple Calabash
Purple Dog Creek
Purple Haze (got these in a swap, I'm sure they are f2)
Ramapo
Rebell Yell
Red Barn
reisentraube
rinaldo paste
Rio Grande Paste
Romeo
Seek No Further Loveapple
Sertse Buivola
Sophies Choice
Thessaloniki
Tondino Maremmano
tony's italian
Turkish Ayla
Velma Hershey's Pink Potato Leaf
Vorlon (repeat)
wild cherry (repeat)
Wild Fred (Dwarf) (repeat)
work release paste

The dwarf Project Varieties for 2013 plus
Bobbie
Tadesse

Last edited by lakelady; April 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #217
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Antoniette, it looks wonderful. Lots of black tomatoes as well.
If you have not tried yet Wessell’s purple pride (RL, 75, purple paste tomato crossed with Cherokee purple), I have some seeds to share. I am growing it this year for the first time, but they sound so good.
Does your younger one love fresh salsa?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #218
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Ella, that sounds like a great tomato! If I had room, I'd take you up on that offer lol...as is, I've no idea where I'm squeezing all these in. I'd love seeds for next year though, so thank you for the offer.

My younger son does like fresh salsa. I actually canned about 6 quarts of it last summer and the boys went through it all very quickly. I think it was just an excuse to get me to buy more chips!
Old April 5, 2013   #219
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Antoniette, send PM, I will send the seeds for the next year.
Since your younger son does like fresh salsa, you can trick him into eating some other foods with very little cooking of the tomatoes. I add them to fried eggs, cheese melt sandwich, ...
as long as I have tomato, I add it anywhere...

Old April 9, 2013   #220
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Just curious...ya'll with over 25 plants listed...are you growing these for sale or for garden pleasure? I just put in the ground JD Special C-Tex (6), Black Krim (6), Choc Stripes (4), Black Zebra(4) Earliana (3), Baxter's Early Bush (2), hILLBILLY (2), Akers WV (2) and I'm worn out. Took me 2 days to recover and my back still aches. I can't imagine planting all those lists that you have recorded. Ya'll got help?
Old April 9, 2013   #221
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Ken, my list is for myself and my sister's yard. She has more sun than I do, and they want a garden, so I plant the tomatoes for them (the rest is up to them). Unfortunately, they usually give up mid season and let them die of disease, but at least I get to try a few that are new to me this way lol.....

I agree, my back will be killing me for days after doing all that.
Old April 9, 2013   #222
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

riceke.......my approx. 100 plants have to be potted up twice to get them to Canada in
addition to about 25 more that I distribute enroute. I don't get sore though as I am only
76 yrs old.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #223
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
riceke.......my approx. 100 plants have to be potted up twice to get them to Canada in
addition to about 25 more that I distribute enroute. I don't get sore though as I am only
76 yrs old.
Ahem, and that means??? lol
Old April 9, 2013   #224
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceke View Post
Just curious...ya'll with over 25 plants listed...are you growing these for sale or for garden pleasure? I just put in the ground JD Special C-Tex (6), Black Krim (6), Choc Stripes (4), Black Zebra(4) Earliana (3), Baxter's Early Bush (2), hILLBILLY (2), Akers WV (2) and I'm worn out. Took me 2 days to recover and my back still aches. I can't imagine planting all those lists that you have recorded. Ya'll got help?
I am growing them for my family, but sharing with neighbors and friends as well. I do not sell plants, I give away few extras to friends.
The reason I am growing that many varieties is obvious, I am curious to try new once as many people rave about them, I want to grow them. The once that produce well and taste grate I keep on growing every year. Cherokee Purple and Black Cherry are the staple in my garden.

Old April 9, 2013   #225
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceke View Post
Nope, none for sale here and only DH for help. I grow a couple dozen extra plants for the neighbors and give away loads of tomatoes throughout the season because we don't use or process them all. I do all the planting, watering, etc. for the pleasure of finding and eating wonderful tomatoes. I'm searching for the perfect tomato and I've found several favorites so I hope to be growing a much more reasonable number of plants next season...but I've been saying that now for 3 years.

kath

Last edited by kath; April 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote