Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2018   #2326
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Tomorrow features a day of picking up branches. We had a storm come through today that had high winds. I didn't see any downed trees here on the property, but there was one large downed tree that completely blocked off the county road on our usual route into town. Our 30 year old son knew exactly who to call to get it taken care of, so I didn't have to look it up.

Back in the day - not long ago, we would have used our chainsaws and tractor to take care of it, but I understand that is not how it's done now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #2327
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's been raining heavy off and on for about 1 week here. Hubby took a few days off to do some work on his truck and isn't finished because of the rain stopping him. I'm glad he got rain in the way, he would have stayed out in the heat to finish and probably had some heat stroke. He is doing so much work to his truck I can't even remember all that it is. Transmission, clutch, had some sort of leak I think in the transfer case, aye aye aye, so much work to do. So, he works tomorrow and I will be without a truck myself but at least he is healthy and well.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #2328
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Been raining on and off all day and I don't believe what tbe temperature say in my truck 73f
Will check when I get home.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #2329
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Been raining on and off all day and I don't believe what tbe temperature say in my truck 73f
Will check when I get home.
That's Newfoundland weather.... enjoy!!
Actually it's super windy these couple days instead of rainy. Had to water all the vegs, the ground very dry. We're expecting a nice soaker on Friday from TS Chris.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #2330
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We have had hit-and-miss rain that has been moving from east to west which is somewhat different. The rain usually follows a south to north path, and strong thunderstorms usually come from the west moving east. One way or other - It's rain, and the area needs it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #2331
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Not much rain lately and with temps topping 100 for a few days more frequent watering is necessary just to keep the plants from losing all their blossoms. Despite the oppressive heat a few varieties are still setting fruit despite the odds. I would love to see a few rainy days just to cut the heat.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2018   #2332
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yea, we went from waterlogged 6 days ago, to dry and sunny with temps from 93-97. Still setting a few here too....one per truss if I'm lucky, but I'll take it.
Old July 12, 2018   #2333
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

torrential rain overnight from about 2am to 7am caused more flooding. i took my dog down the drive way with a sense of foreboding. there was about a 6 ft wide stream of water running across the bottom of the drive at the road. i looked right and the culvert pretty much dry last night was overflowing with water. the drain underneath the drive way could not keep up with all the water. i had to spend a few hours after work filling in the drive again. we got off fairly light. my poor neighbor up the road had his drive completely washed away a second time. he is battling cancer, and doesn't need another problem. his sons who work construction were repairing it again.

the problem stems from the water from a creek being diverted to one side of the road, my side. normally its not a problem. with large storms however, a sudden mass of water moves downhill, and with only one place to go, the water backs up, and flooding occurs.
todays storm did not drop as much rain as the fathers day storm did. no two foot deep trenches in the road this time, but some areas are hurting again. the road commissioner is aware of the problem, but don't hold your breath on something being done anytime soon. bigger roads have bigger problems to address.

once the rain stopped it was hot and humid, perfect weather for shoveling rock into wheelbarrows and trucking it to the driveway.
what a summer its been.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #2334
bower
Tomatovillian™

We are really dry here. TS Chris was a complete bust for us - hot and humid, fog, drizzle, a shower maybe? Got up this morning there wasn't even a puddle in the driveway. You can tell how dry it is, some things are wilting wherever I haven't been watering, and water is starting to limit any kind of growth, now that it's warm enough...

I guess we need fear no threat of any hurricane this season, as long as we're surrounded by extra cold ocean water. It took the punch out of Chris in no time. Small mercies.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #2335
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I think the best thing the guvmit could do would be to build a pipeline system across the continent that redistributes water from where it is excess to where it is deficient. Flooding in the midwest could be transferred west to the drought states so there's a win-win situation.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #2336
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

there has been past talk about tapping the great lakes, and sending water to some of the water poor states.

i always say look up the aral sea, and see what happened to it when people got greedy for water. you mess around with an eco system without knowing what can happen, you get a disaster.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2018   #2337
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was just talking about the Aral sea to someone the other day.
What a nightmare.

Last edited by Worth1; July 13, 2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old July 14, 2018   #2338
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Seems to me it is better for people to live where the climate is correct for habitation, rather than steal water from one place to encourage development in less hospitable areas.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018   #2339
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Finally we just started getting some rain a few minutes ago for the first time in weeks. I hope it rains at least an inch. When it was thundering and the skies were darkening I went ahead and picked any tomatoes with any trace of color because after the heat we have been having they will bust wide open with a decent rain.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2018   #2340
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wise man Bill.