Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2017   #226
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If any of you still use your hands to write I have found the Zebra stainless ink pens to be the very best money can by for the value.
You can get refills for them too and have some that are years old and still working.
They are also fantastic for writing on wire labels and the ink doesn't smear.
They also come in pen and pencil sets.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017   #227
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont remember how or why it got started but my boss was complaining about not being able to find an old school oil can like we used to get.
I said really I have two of them of different types I use all the time.
Where do you get them he asked and I said the old school parts store in my town.
So yesterday for a late Christmas present I bought him one.
Here they are if anyone is interested, much better than the worthless over priced WD-40 spray can.
Just put in some light weight ISO 32 or 46 hydraulic fluid and you are good to go.
Made in USA too.
Old December 31, 2017   #228
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Rain-X.

Discovered it ages ago when I learned flying. If I recall, it was initially developed for use on plane windshields to keep them clean in extreme conditions. Now it's the only windshield fluid I use in all our vehicles, water simply beads up on the windshield and is driven away by the fast moving air. My truck's wipers motor broke down and I was still able to see and drive safely in pouring rain.
Does Rain X help to prevent ice build up on the windshield in cold weather? When I spritz with blue stiff (or the pink fluid made for ice) the fluid freezes on contact. Just the opposite effect I need when clearing the windshield during a sleet storm or when very cold.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #229
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Does Rain X help to prevent ice build up on the windshield in cold weather? When I spritz with blue stiff (or the pink fluid made for ice) the fluid freezes on contact. Just the opposite effect I need when clearing the windshield during a sleet storm or when very cold.

- Lisa
I can't answer that question but I don't think pure rubbing alcohol would freeze.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #230
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Worth, those are the only pens my husband uses. They are great!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old January 1, 2018   #231
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

- Lisa
To melt ice, you need fluid with the lowest temp rating (labeled per example as -40 degF) and lots of it relative to the amount/thickness of ice present. It's a matter of alcohol concentration and proportions. Once some of the ice melts or breaks up, then it's wise to scrape it off quickly, else the melted ice/water lowers the concentration of the alcohol and the whole thing refreezes again. Rain-X works fairly well here.

There's a product that's almost 100% alcohol, in a spray bottle that's is very effective for this purpose. Because of the high concentration, it is fast acting and a bit goes a long way. I keep a bottle in each car during the winter. I'll find the name and write again once I get out this morning.

Happy New Year everyone. I wish you all a lush garden free of septoria and other diseases.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #232
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Just checked, the spray that I have also happens to be Rain-x, deep vermillion color bottle, although there are other brands out there.
Old January 1, 2018   #233
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Just checked, the spray that I have also happens to be Rain-x, deep vermillion color bottle, although there are other brands out there.

Winter is far from over! I will check into the color choices of bottles at Wal Mart.
Do I pour it over the existing blue stuff or squirt the windshield with abandon to clear the reservoir first?

- Lisa
Old January 1, 2018   #234
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just found something else I think you guys and gals might be interested in.
No I haven't bought one because I am going to just get the mechanism and make my own.
It is called the Crushgrind mechanism.
For years I have searched for a good pepper mill and found one that is being made by someone in Australia that I subscribe to on YouTube that turns wood for a living.
He says they are the best and sells them.
Here is the link to the product.
Don't freak out over prices this is Denmark/Danish krone.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ku9sstWCMWQeZo

Here is the link to the story.
https://www.crushgrind.com/pages/the-crushgrind-story

They are ceramic and will last the rest of your lives.
I intend to start making them myself as you can buy the mechanism by itself and make your own style.
As if you haven't noticed much of my tinkering has to do with food and cooking.
It started out with guns and I like guns but many people dont.
Everyone has to eat.
By sticking with food and kitchen products I can reach out to everyone.
Bon Appétit

Worth
The bargain crushgrind I found on Amazon is amazing! I gave up on using it for salt and emptied the pepper from my old plastic grinder into the new one. It crushed very fine, and brought out the taste much more than my cheap grinder. It was actually too peppery for me so I will have to adjust. Good find!

- Lisa
Old January 1, 2018   #235
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Add to whatever you have already in the reservoir, you'll use it up anyway.

Get also one of the spray bottles, Rain-x suggests to 1) start the car (as if any one is going to wait for it to warm up,) 2)spray, 3) run the wipers to clear off the melted ice (and/or scrape away before it refreezes.)

Rinse, repeat...
Old January 1, 2018   #236
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

These windshield covers look to be the ticket for those who have iced windshields.

https://www.target.com/p/heavy-duty-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

~Margaret Atwood~

Old January 1, 2018   #237
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, those only work for small thin layers of ice. A half inch thick or more layer of ice the size of a windshield is tough to budge. Not to mention the fabric being frozen to the car. Tried similar things, personally did not find them worth the trouble. I don't see very many people using them.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #238
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The bargain crushgrind I found on Amazon is amazing! I gave up on using it for salt and emptied the pepper from my old plastic grinder into the new one. It crushed very fine, and brought out the taste much more than my cheap grinder. It was actually too peppery for me so I will have to adjust. Good find!

- Lisa
Glad you like them.
I have been trying to figure out what design I want to us.
One thing I will do is put crank handles on top.
I was thinking about crank handles and it struck me.
Fishing reel handles will work perfectly.
And look nice.
Worth
Old January 3, 2018   #239
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We bought ourselves one of these a while back -- https://m.costco.com/Lithium-Jump-St...100383979.html

It was last charged up about two month ago and this morning it jump started my car which had been sitting since 12/26 in some of the coldest weather we've seen in a long time with plenty of power to spare. On the news tonight they were interviewing people with dead car batteries due to the cold who were waiting up to six hours for a tow truck....

It'll also come in handy for charging things like cell phones and tablets at least several times during power outages.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018   #240
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm not so sure about Rain-X. Sure it was wonderful on the windshield when we had to drive all day in pouring rain, but when the sun came out, we had a bleary windshield that could not be cleared until we could use detergent and scrub it off!

Love the lithium battery charger idea!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote