Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 19, 2007   #226
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

keep em coming Grub !!!
Any update for TYW ??? ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #227
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I got lucky this summer that's for sure.

TYW x 2 are big and healthy (some EB setting in) and full of gren fruit at this stage. They look like they will get big like the ones you want.

They are in the fall or late patch, but will come through in due course. About 6ft high. Any spare pantyhose to tie-up your babies?
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #228
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

lol Grub, lol ~ sounds great ...
Yeah evey year the plant keeps getting bigger & bigger ...

Do you have many fruits and not very much blossom drop from your heat ? If so, thats a good sign ~
Does sound like you'll get some "biggies" ...

If you need panty hose I'll send it ~ lol ~

Tom

ps.
What is "EB" ?
Old January 19, 2007   #229
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
What is "EB" ?
My guess is Early Blight......

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #230
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks !

good call Lee ~

Tom
Old January 19, 2007   #231
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Heat tolerant, I would say for TYW, especially given it gets afternoon sun. Lee is right: EB as in early blight, rife here as ever. And it's about this time of year my interest in spraying wanes.

Have to say, Earl's Faux is quite a bit earlier that B.Sudduth. More prolific and tad more heat tolerant.

Taste test on OTV Brandywine in 30 minutes...
Old January 19, 2007   #232
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub
Have to say, Earl's Faux is quite a bit earlier that B.Sudduth. More prolific and tad more heat tolerant.
That's what I've found as well. Fruits are smaller too, are you observing same?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2007   #233
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Yep, Suze. EF fruits are definitely smaller.

Looking at them side by side, which they, they're different.

Almost have a ripe one to coincide with Mrs Grubs return home tomorrow. EF was her favourite last year.

Meantime, I'm tucking into a 14.7oz OTV Brandywine for breakfast... wipe of mayo, huge slices on toast...

Flavour is great, tomatoey but with definite sweetness, moreso than your usual big red. Quite meaty, with a lovley texture. And this is the first one. Pretty good productivity, with high-end of medium yield. Flavour is 8-8.5/10, with a 0.5pt for size and uniqueness, given that it's a big red on a PL vine.

So thanks Craig and Carolyn for OTV Brandywine. It's a winner.
Old January 19, 2007   #234
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Grub said, "Have to say, Earl's Faux is quite a bit earlier that B.Sudduth. More prolific and tad more heat tolerant.

Suze said, "That's what I've found as well. Fruits are smaller too, are you observing same?

Grub said, "Yep, Suze. EF fruits are definitely smaller.
Looking at them side by side, which they, they're different. Almost have a ripe one to coincide with Mrs Grubs return home tomorrow. EF was her favourite last year."

Earl says, "Maybe your observations about Earl's Faux will substantiate any comparison to any Brandywine as being wrong."

Grub, tell Mrs. Grub I said she has impeccible taste! in tomatoes and men. :-) And what a lucky little girl Wee Grub's gonna be to have such a Dad looking after her.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2007   #235
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl,

Mrs Grub sends her best wishes back.

I should also add that the large Pasture cherries that Cecil kindly sent me seeds for, which have a predictable taste but which are prolific and present beautifully on a truss where they are almost all ripe, is a huge hit with the supermarket-conditioned sister-in-law who likes THAT tomato taste.

Also, as Glenn in NZ said, very good to dehydrate or work with. I have had good succes at roasting a whole truss of of 6-8 large cherries. I wash them, leave them on the stalk, drizzle with EVOO, season, bake at 80C-100C for three hours... wonderful presentation on the plate to accompany roasted or grilled or broiled meat or fish.

And Pasture, the rampant thing it is, is hardy. Not one to grow just for taste, but useful nonetheless. Would indeed cover an outhouse. The chickens sure have summer shade
Old January 20, 2007   #236
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Don't give him a big head Earl. He already grows the best Tommy's , peppers and those egg things down here.
Gives me a giggle thinking of him changing a nappy eh, more aromas to savor.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2007   #237
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Manto,

I always thought you grew the best tommys.

Hey, you have a good nose. Little did I know between Summer sucking the left boob and right boob that I would be charged with changing her nappy.

BTW: I found a midwife who married and Italian and is into tomatoes and I'm sending her some seeds. TV needs at least one midwife.
Old January 20, 2007   #238
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

Finally read the entire thread, I am amazed at the dedication. All the tomatoes looked great, I am gonna have to google BTD.

Grub & Mantis, keep enjoying your tomatoes!! since we can't. AHHH just a few more months. Thanks again for all the effort in showing your treasures to us!

Thomas
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2007   #239
Grub
Tomatovillian™

After the first Stump of the World the rest are coming in thick and fast. You could liken it to a Polish (as I think Craig did) in respect of being a mainstream, top producing pink with great flavour. Just an excellent tomato. Can't fault it. A Top 10er. rating: 8.5/10 for flavour plus 0.5pts for yield, hardiness, and manageability = 9/10pts

Then came my first Prue for this season. A bunch of three bright red bombs. Incredibly juicy and luscious, with some of that (though less than last year) earthiness. Excellent flavour. Yield is pretty good and it always sets in the heat. Plant is straggly as ever. I really like Prue coz it's different. Rating: 9/10pts for flavour and uniqueness, but no extra points for plant habit.
Old January 20, 2007   #240
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

I grew Stump this year and liked it a lot. It was one that was growing in the dodgy soil in the greenhouse so it struggled. Will try it again in the spring.
Enjoy Summer while she is little. My eldest is running around with a mobile phone surgically attached to her hand and talking boyfriends.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote