Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 19, 2015   #226
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
I just ordered the sticky traps! I have lost tomato plants due to that whitefly virus

@marshan how many tsp per gallon of liquid copper do you use?

@kay I plan on making grow buckets putting a tomato plant in them as gifts this year

it's planting time soon I'm waiting till the day's high are around 85 looks like next weekish!!
It depends on the brand of liquid copper. I use Southern Ag because it is available at Home Depot, and I use it at 1/2 tablespoon per gallon. If your brand is different, read the directions for tomatoes, and use it at 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength.

I'll probably plant out around October 6th.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015   #227
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Are any of my Floridian friends planning to come to the Florida TAG plant swap? It's October 10, a Saturday.
Old September 19, 2015   #228
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Marsha and Kurt
Thanks for the education on Leaf Miners. I will acquire some traps.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015   #229
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I decided to try your suggestion of the copper because I had a lot of problem in the spring even though I used Actinovate as a preventative. I went to my local nursery that is usually good about stocking the things I want. When I could not find copper I asked on of the workers. He did not know and got the owner. He told me you could not use copper on plants that it would burn them. This place has been in business for over 30 years and owned by the same family. I started to explain its use to him but decided it would be like talking to a wall. It amazing how much wrong information is out there. I am going to go to Home Depot today to get some.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2015   #230
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I went back to that nursery today to buy a plant I saw there earlier in the week > Since I had never seen it before I wanted to research it. It is Dwarf Yellow Mussaenda and I just had to have it after I was sure it would grow here. While waiting to pay I happened to notice a display of products from Monterey and there was the copper I wanted. I did talk with the owner and he said after I left he realized what I was asking about and apologized for the confusion.
Old September 19, 2015   #231
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Bananas and Palms vs. leaf miners,white flys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Marsha and Kurt
Thanks for the education on Leaf Miners. I will acquire some traps.
Larry

Thats why this Tville forum/site is so nice and easy to navigate.I just had to take down some Bananas(bunches) and will just inform everybody that whiteflys and some leafminers (different species)also enjoy these other plants and might be a source for you mater infestations.So look around your yards(neighbors also)to see other possible breeding areas.Since my maters are in a more controlled screened in pool enclosure I also place some deterrents(traps,Lady Bugs galore) and once in a while some parasitic wasps when I can afford them around the perimeter of house and yard.Palms are notorious for the Silver Leaf Whitefly that will kill a tree if left unmonitored.
Old September 20, 2015   #232
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow sticky trap warning

I bought a different brand than my usual Seabright Laboratories brand, because they were just a bit cheaper. They are a paler yellow, and have a very different sticky substance on them, from Viagrow brand. DO NOT BUY THESE. There were 2 adult lizards stuck to it this morning, which I rescued and had to roll in dirt to keep from resticking themselves to everything else. They ran off, so I think they will be ok. Then left for the gym for an hour, came back and there was a bird with one wing stuck there. It was horrible and I will not use that brand again. The other 4, from Seabright Labs had no lizards or birds, just flies and whiteflies on them. i will return the others if I can, if not, I will just throw them away, because I will not use them. The bird lost some feathers, but I freed it up and it ran away. Probably cant fly right now, but feathers grow back, and lizards shed their skin. I truly hope they survive, because I feel horrible!!!

Don't buy this brand, very different than Seabright labs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (201.4 KB, 49 views)
Old September 20, 2015   #233
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Oh Marsha, it is such a horrible feeling getting lizards stuck. I can't even imagine how you felt with a bird.

I ended up throwing all of mine out but one. I keep it inside by the worm inn.
I just looked at it and it says "Fly Web" on the top left.

Is there hope that I had the wrong brand? I'm going to check on Seabright labs.

--
I did a search on my orders from Amazon, and found it: I had purchased a different brand - caution - NEVER BUY
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-U...s=insect+cards

(NOTE: Don't buy this one; attracts lizards, never had them up long enough to catch a bird, but definitely strong enough).

Last edited by Barb_FL; September 20, 2015 at 02:14 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #234
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Oh Marsha, it is such a horrible feeling getting lizards stuck. I can't even imagine how you felt with a bird.

I ended up throwing all of mine out but one. I keep it inside by the worm inn.
I just looked at it and it says "Fly Web" on the top left.

Is there hope that I had the wrong brand? I'm going to check on Seabright labs.

--
I did a search on my orders from Amazon, and found it: I had purchased a different brand - caution - NEVER BUY
http://www.amazon.com/Double-Sided-U...s=insect+cards

(NOTE: Don't buy this one; attracts lizards, never had them up long enough to catch a bird, but definitely strong enough).
I should have known when it was so incredibly hard to pull the sides apart by the tabs. That stuff and the one I just used is a piece of junk. I would use stronger vocab, but this is a family forum.
Thanks for the sympathy, Barb. I can't stop thinking about it. Matter of fact, I am going to put out several dishes of water right now because I don't think it can fly with one wing so coated and much less feathers. Oh, I hope hope hope it survives.
Old September 20, 2015   #235
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry - you didn't do it on purpose; you had no idea that lizards/birds would get caught. We just need to educate people on buying the right brand.

So we know that:
Viagro
FlyWeb

are terrible brands for outside growers and should be avoided.

----
I ordered the Seabright Labratories brand from Amazon; will get it Tuesday.
How do you attach it to small plants?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #236
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha I feel so bad for the creatures and you. I know that had to just make you heart sick. I only use the yellow sticky traps inside since I do everything I can to get beneficial insects in my garden. I would love to use them around my tomatoes but am not willing to loose any of the good guys. Can you leave a review about the downside of the bad ones so other people will not have the traumatic surprise you came home to?
Old September 20, 2015   #237
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Marsha I feel so bad for the creatures and you. I know that had to just make you heart sick. I only use the yellow sticky traps inside since I do everything I can to get beneficial insects in my garden. I would love to use them around my tomatoes but am not willing to loose any of the good guys. Can you leave a review about the downside of the bad ones so other people will not have the traumatic surprise you came home to?
I already did. It takes Amazon some time to post it. I also asked for refurn, and bouvht some of the Seabright brand. I cant stop thinking about it.
Old September 20, 2015   #238
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I'm sorry - you didn't do it on purpose; you had no idea that lizards/birds would get caught. We just need to educate people on buying the right brand.

So we know that:
Viagro
FlyWeb

are terrible brands for outside growers and should be avoided.

----
I ordered the Seabright Labratories brand from Amazon; will get it Tuesday.
How do you attach it to small plants?
They come with pre punched holes and twist ties. Thank you for the support and sympathy. It helps a little.
Old September 20, 2015   #239
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

So sorry, Marsha. The bird capture happened to me also a couple of years ago. It was a horrible feeling. Thank for giving an alternate source.
Old September 20, 2015   #240
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Wow surprising just used my first yellow trap...

Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote