Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 22, 2017   #226
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The bedrock where I live is so far down, it takes what looks like an oil drilling rig to get to it. I noticed a guy on my way to town with one of those trucks in his field. I thought he was drilling for either oil or water, but it turned out to be the footings for a cel phone tower.

35 F here tonight. Half my plants are in the greenhouse and half are huddled inside wherever I can make space for them. I just counted 48 flats of 48 plants each, about 2,300 total.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #227
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Cole that is a lot of plants : 48 x 48 = (where is my calculator ? here) 2304.

At 5 am, here it is 38F and will go down to 33F before sunrise. There will be another overnight low in mid 30s tomorrow night. Then the 15 day forecast shows no low under 43F. That is good enough for tomatoes and peppers to find their permanent bed in the garden instead of in the garage.

Cold is going to be around a little while longer, especially up north but its strength , intensity and incidence is decreasing. That is good news.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #228
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The bedrock where I live is so far down, it takes what looks like an oil drilling rig to get to it. I noticed a guy on my way to town with one of those trucks in his field. I thought he was drilling for either oil or water, but it turned out to be the footings for a cel phone tower.
This really blows my mind... You can really grow anything!
Everybody in my area had really deep wells, drilled through the bedrock. Mine is 345 feet and lots of water, but my nearest neighbour went 500 feet and had barely enough pressure to meet their household needs. That part of our town joined on to city water and sewer some years ago, and they had to blast just to make a shallow ditch to put the pipes in. Sitting in my basement, where the cement floor was poured over the peak that jutted up, I could hear the strangest sounds, galleries falling like dominoes below. So there are some cracks in it but lots of solid rock.

We just had another 15 cm of snow overnight, and now it's raining again. Think I'll go out and shovel a bit....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #229
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post

35 F here tonight. Half my plants are in the greenhouse and half are huddled inside wherever I can make space for them. I just counted 48 flats of 48 plants each, about 2,300 total.
2300, I think it must be a disease that we have, normal people would think that is insane. LOL

Your plants look great, very nice leaf color, not too much N
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #230
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

In my area of Texas - it has been the windiest day so far this year. A constant breeze of 40mph all day and night. I put some cages that I made for pepper plants in 2010 (My first year of gardening here) around a few tomato plants just to keep them from breaking off at ground level. It's still hot here. The other day, the lady who was doing the weathercast joked about it being spring here since December. With exception of a few days in January - she's pretty close to right.

We bought radish seeds but never planted them. It has been too hot here. They would have grown, but once you have eaten a radish grown in 80+ degree temperatures - you won't do it again unless you like really STRONG tasting radishes. We don't.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #231
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I think we are out of the woods. This past night we had 36F. Now at 6:30 AM it is up to 38 F.
Finally, I will start a serious planting out today :

-- about 15 tomatoes
-- about 25 peppers
-- about 10 eggplants

Plus, corn, bean, watermelon, melon, cucumber. I will germinate okra in the cold frame first.

here is the weather outlook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant out.jpg (74.4 KB, 78 views)

Happy Gardening !
Old March 24, 2017   #232
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One year I just dumped a whole pile of okra seeds in a pan of water and let them sprout.

I had well over a pound of seeds I collected and didn't care what happened.
Worked out great.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #233
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

beautiful today along the Ohio River across from Marshall University. I dumped two 20 gal totes and re-built with pine bark, perlite, peat moss, 5-10-10 and agri lime. At 6:00 I burned a huge brush fire from my 40x40ft garden and am ready for the tractor except for mowing a little chick weed . Am getting antsy. Week from today I will seed 1 flat ea of Bear Claw/Estlers Mortgage Lifter, Hillbilly, Big Beef and Orange Slice with a couple Cherokee Purple thrown in for the totes.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #234
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful here, in Southeast NC as well.
I did some planting of tomatoes, peppers and eggplants:

The first picture is : from bottom : carrots, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and the salad patch.

Second picture just showing peppers , eggplants and the salad patch.

I have a lot more tomatoes from my second batch that can wait for a couple of weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mrch 24-4.jpg (151.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg mrch 24-5.jpg (165.3 KB, 68 views)

Happy Gardening !
Old March 24, 2017   #235
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

I officially declare spring has sprung! Did a lot of mowing today and tilling of the garden. Will start my tomato seeds some time in the next few days. Cant wait any longer!
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #236
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

Spring has temporarily been put on hold in southern Colorado. System came through just after midnight with wind gusts measuring 75+mph before the wind speed indicator failed. Trees blown down all over the city, power out, and the marina at Pueblo reservoir had severe damage. The city park lost dozens of huge trees. Attached picture was of a house two blocks away from me. Fortunately there are no huge trees around our home, so damage was minimal. There was a picture on the local news of a trampoline on top of a house, with one of the supporting metal poles driven through the roof and ceiling of one of the rooms. Colorado Springs to the north had areas with 4 foot snow drifts and the interstate to and from Denver was closed for a few hours. Hard to believe just a few days ago, we had days of record temps and I was out digging up and planting some early vegetables. I hope the weather is milder for the rest of the country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wind damage.jpg (342.2 KB, 55 views)

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #237
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quite some wind there! Glad you did OK!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #238
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Ya pondgardener, that's a cool picture of the tree.
Those spruce trees are notorious for being top heavy. Look at the lack of a taproot and not much side roots for how big the tree is.

The same cool weather has come to us in Utah as well and it's a good thing because it can freeze hard here into May and the fruit trees and insects were getting way too ready for a fake spring.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2017   #239
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We had storms tonight. They're still happening past us. There was some pea sized hail and some high winds. I forgot to buy batteries for the flashlight, so I'll check the tomato plants tomorrow.

In Denton and Collin counties there are reports of golf ball and baseball sized hail there. Those two counties are just north of Dallas and Fort Worth. I know there are Tomatoville members living in those counties. I hope they were spared.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #240
bower
Tomatovillian™

Boyoboy we are in the deepfreeze. - 12 C this morning with windchill -24 C, gusting 80 kph. Forecast high is -8 C. Normals for the period are high of +4 C and low of -3.
We didn't break the record but pretty close to it.

Now we're forecast to have a massive snowstorm on thursday and friday.
There's a saying here, if March comes in like a lamb it will go out like a lion. Definitely true this year.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote