Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 27, 2018   #2416
bower
Tomatovillian™

We had a real frost here on Tuesday morning. Everything covered in white. Most things just shrug it off, but a few tomato plants outdoors were toast. Pepper plants otoh, are looking fine. No peppers left on them, but the plants are ready for spring to come again. Too bad, guys!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018   #2417
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
We had a real frost here on Tuesday morning. Everything covered in white. Most things just shrug it off, but a few tomato plants outdoors were toast. Pepper plants otoh, are looking fine. No peppers left on them, but the plants are ready for spring to come again. Too bad, guys!
So, which indeterminate peppers were you growing???
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018   #2418
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
So, which indeterminate peppers were you growing???
Jimmy Nardello, Early Jalapeno and Guajillo. Turfed from the house due to aphids. All clean now. I wouldn't try bringing them back in though.
Old September 27, 2018   #2419
korney19

I let about 30-32 peppers die in my lean-to GH because I was so far behind and the beds were overrun with weeds, and I was so far behind on the tomatoes. If I knew which were Indet I would have considered planting them but most had a couple fruit on them and lost most leaves...
Old September 28, 2018   #2420
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I let about 30-32 peppers die in my lean-to GH because I was so far behind and the beds were overrun with weeds, and I was so far behind on the tomatoes. If I knew which were Indet I would have considered planting them but most had a couple fruit on them and lost most leaves...
I thought all peppers were indeterminate?
Took a short drive this morning and I see the leaves are starting to turn after that frost.
El Nino usually means a mild winter for us... not sure what will happen but it's just been too cold too early for my liking.
Old September 28, 2018   #2421
korney19

Quote:
I thought all peppers were indeterminate?
Took a short drive this morning and I see the leaves are starting to turn after that frost.
El Nino usually means a mild winter for us... not sure what will happen but it's just been too cold too early for my liking.
I don't think they are... I've seen many that say a certain quantity of fruit to expect, especially bells---I've even seen some bells listing just 6 fruit! I'm not even sure jalapenos are Indet. Have you had plants regrow, or rebloom? Do you cut them back? I usually pull/cut my plants & hang them in the basement from the pipes to dry for seeds, most thin-walled varieties.

Last edited by korney19; September 28, 2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old September 29, 2018   #2422
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This year's pepperoncini plant gave us one flush where all the peppers ripened at once. When they were harvested, it started working on a second flush. I'd have to say it's acting rather determinate.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018   #2423
korney19

Golden Greeks?

Last edited by korney19; September 29, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old September 29, 2018   #2424
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
This year's pepperoncini plant gave us one flush where all the peppers ripened at once. When they were harvested, it started working on a second flush. I'd have to say it's acting rather determinate.

Nan
Golden Greeks or a different variety?
Old September 29, 2018   #2425
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

It was simply and unhelpfully labelled "Pepperoncini." They were about 4-6" long, pointed, and eventually got a reddish blush to them. Some were very mildly hot, others were not hot at all.

Nan
Old September 29, 2018   #2426
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't think they are... I've seen many that say a certain quantity of fruit to expect, especially bells---I've even seen some bells listing just 6 fruit! I'm not even sure jalapenos are Indet. Have you had plants regrow, or rebloom? Do you cut them back? I usually pull/cut my plants & hang them in the basement from the pipes to dry for seeds, most thin-walled varieties.

Sorry, I tried to reply earlier but lost it by mistake. Yes, I've had plants fruit and ripen in May in the house, then transplanted outdoors and let them go on and make a second crop. Also had plants i brought in for the winter and produced again in the early spring.

They don't necessarily get extra tall (ie not as an 'indeterminate' tomato would do). Instead like a determinate tomato, a pepper that's relieved of its fruit will put out another little twig with new flowers from those old nodes. Some like Guajillo will get tall but that's because they are naturally taller and were only shorter than normal due to confines of a pot.

I have determinate tomatoes in my greenhouse right now, I pruned away all the finished parts and they just produced new shoots, flowers and fruits. Without being long and tall.
Old September 29, 2018   #2427
korney19

Quote:
It was simply and unhelpfully labelled "Pepperoncini." They were about 4-6" long, pointed, and eventually got a reddish blush to them. Some were very mildly hot, others were not hot at all.

Nan
The first "Pepperoncini" I grew sounded like that; they were from Pinetree. Supposedly the "Golden Greek" are similar to what you buy in jars.
Old September 29, 2018   #2428
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The first "Pepperoncini" I grew sounded like that; they were from Pinetree. Supposedly the "Golden Greek" are similar to what you buy in jars.
DH was picturing the ones in jars when he bought this plant; maybe I should pick up some GG seeds.
Old September 29, 2018   #2429
korney19

Quote:
Sorry, I tried to reply earlier but lost it by mistake. Yes, I've had plants fruit and ripen in May in the house, then transplanted outdoors and let them go on and make a second crop. Also had plants i brought in for the winter and produced again in the early spring.

They don't necessarily get extra tall (ie not as an 'indeterminate' tomato would do). Instead like a determinate tomato, a pepper that's relieved of its fruit will put out another little twig with new flowers from those old nodes. Some like Guajillo will get tall but that's because they are naturally taller and were only shorter than normal due to confines of a pot.

I have determinate tomatoes in my greenhouse right now, I pruned away all the finished parts and they just produced new shoots, flowers and fruits. Without being long and tall.
Maybe it has something to do with the variety or species. Many times by the time it's warm enough to plant peppers, they lost their lower leaves, sometimes as many as 3 or 4 "crotches" and after they're transplanted those crotches start growing new leaves. I'll have to watch them more closely.

I know Alan Kapuler in Oregon, who has better weather than us, has a C. pubescens & a C. rhomboideum (26-chromosomes, not 24! and a perennial!) that grow over 10 feet tall in a greenhouse.
Old September 29, 2018   #2430
korney19

Quote:
DH was picturing the ones in jars when he bought this plant; maybe I should pick up some GG seeds.
I'll look if I still have any when I start going thru seeds, I remember giving away lots of extra plants about 5 years ago on Freecycle... I think they were Burpee seeds from Walmart...

Burpee dropped the word "Golden" but still lists it as "Greek" and they list an orange one now too... their prices are wacky!
https://www.burpee.com/search?q=pepperoncini