Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 30, 2016   #241
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

No, it was extremely windy and we had several patches of 90°to 100° temperatures during the day and down to 40s°at night. I was unable to get these into the ground until June 20, so I am very pleased that the result is as nice as it is. And it is not a huge plant which makes it all a very desirable plant for here.
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2016   #242
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Excellent. The high desert is such a challenging place to grow!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #243
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Orange Jazz seeds can be had now, along with Green Bee seeds for $6

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu
Old October 4, 2016   #244
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

BVV:

I was looking at your OJ pictures - what kind of spacing do you use between tomatoes?

Do you use black plastic (it almost looks reflective in some pics)?
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #245
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The Orange Jazz shown on the Artisan Seeds Facebook page were growing in Mexico, at the farm of a close collaborator. They use black plastic, and I think their spacing is about 3 feet apart.
Old December 7, 2016   #246
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Fred, I'm excited to try Orange Jazz next year. I'm curious if you've grown KBX and comment on how the two compare in terms of flavor and production? Loved KBX this year.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #247
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Purple Bumblebee grew well for me outside in AK, I want to try Orange Jazz in the GH.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #248
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
BVV:

I was looking at your OJ pictures - what kind of spacing do you use between tomatoes?

Do you use black plastic (it almost looks reflective in some pics)?
I space 3ft apart in a zig-zag, and yes that is reflective plastic. There are pretty easily managed plants compared to many. The also like fertilizer once a week. I think they would preform well in the GH Mark.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2016   #249
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Hi Fred, I'm excited to try Orange Jazz next year. I'm curious if you've grown KBX and comment on how the two compare in terms of flavor and production? Loved KBX this year.

I have grown the two side by side, and they are actually quite similar in both respects. OJ has a more variable fruit size, depending on weather. Striped tomatoes seem to fare worse in very cold weather. And OJ is not quite as sweet as KBX, but KBX is extremely sweet, so that's not a big negative. Some people might like more balance to the flavor than the extreme sweetness of KBX; OJ is still sweet, just not quite as much.

I'm done with other orange indeterminate beefsteaks after having these two varieties, to tell you how much I like them both.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #250
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, great info! How would you compare the production? For me last year KBX didn't give many fruits initially 3-4, but then ripened a number in late August - September. My plan in 2017 is to grow these two side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have grown the two side by side, and they are actually quite similar in both respects. OJ has a more variable fruit size, depending on weather. Striped tomatoes seem to fare worse in very cold weather. And OJ is not quite as sweet as KBX, but KBX is extremely sweet, so that's not a big negative. Some people might like more balance to the flavor than the extreme sweetness of KBX; OJ is still sweet, just not quite as much.

I'm done with other orange indeterminate beefsteaks after having these two varieties, to tell you how much I like them both.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #251
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've grown them both as well along with Kelloggs Breakfast, always in a Root Pouch or Earthbox. KBX/KB is a larger plant than OJ.

KBX and KB production, taste, size were identical to me. I've grown the regular leaf KB much more.

I never considered KBX/KB sweet - it is my favorite tomato.

I find OJ very sweet and fruity tasting. On the sweetness, OJ wasn't as sweet as Lucid Gem or Orange Russian 117.

BTW - I'm having the best season ever with KB. Plants have over 20 tomatoes already and still setting fruit, none have ripen yet. I've never had that many in a season. (Note: it is the best tomato season is Florida for everyone here, my best FALL season ever)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #252
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I think I got at least 20 tomatoes off every OJ plant, probably more. I haven't grown KB/KBX yet. I need to but I kinda missed SOO this year so I am going to grow it again in a better spot, but who knows maybe I can squeeze one KB in.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016   #253
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The problem with great seasons is that you start all seasons to be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I've grown them both as well along with Kelloggs Breakfast, always in a Root Pouch or Earthbox. KBX/KB is a larger plant than OJ.

KBX and KB production, taste, size were identical to me. I've grown the regular leaf KB much more.

I never considered KBX/KB sweet - it is my favorite tomato.

I find OJ very sweet and fruity tasting. On the sweetness, OJ wasn't as sweet as Lucid Gem or Orange Russian 117.

BTW - I'm having the best season ever with KB. Plants have over 20 tomatoes already and still setting fruit, none have ripen yet. I've never had that many in a season. (Note: it is the best tomato season is Florida for everyone here, my best FALL season ever)
Old January 26, 2017   #254
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if anyone has grown Jazz or OJ in Ontario climates? Some of the main tomatoes Mr. Hempel works with do fabulously in my garden (striped roman, amana orange, black krim, black cherry) and the outstanding tomato for me last year was Maglia Rosa. I always grow blush and at least one of the bumblebees now. So can I make the leap that the Jazz lines might do well for me too? I have to be careful because I have 100 squarefeet of space, in the middle of a big city and not a farm. I am limited to 16 plants.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #255
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
I wonder if anyone has grown Jazz or OJ in Ontario climates? Some of the main tomatoes Mr. Hempel works with do fabulously in my garden (striped roman, amana orange, black krim, black cherry) and the outstanding tomato for me last year was Maglia Rosa. I always grow blush and at least one of the bumblebees now. So can I make the leap that the Jazz lines might do well for me too? I have to be careful because I have 100 squarefeet of space, in the middle of a big city and not a farm. I am limited to 16 plants.
I understand your garden space is limited, but have you considered growing Maglia Rosa in a container? I grew it last year in a 3.8 gal. black nursery container and it grew like crazy! It was big and bushy and I used a 4-ring HD tomato cage to hold it. Got tons of tomatoes, and in that container it was fully portable, too.

If blush is a similar plant, you could grow that one in a container as well.
Just a thought.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote