Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2017   #2581
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I love the tulle wrap method. I have 2 Sweet Success cucumber plants growing, healthy as can be. It was really great to learn these moths that lay pickle worm eggs are nocturnal. Thank thank thank you Barb.

Does anyone know why my cucumbers will sometimes grow larger, than they started, then just quit, turn yellow and die. Like a lot at once. The fruit is what I mean. The plant stays healthy and other cucumbers form to maturity. I can't figure it out.

I have direct sown bush green beans seeds, then something was eating the sprouts. I covered it with tulle and there was a slug under the tulle this morning. Gross!
While cucumbers are still small sometimes birds pick at their flowers and cucumbers stop growing, get yellow and dry out. That is what I noticed here. And more than once. It does not have to be birds, any flower eating bug including thrips. BTW cucumber beetles looks similar to ladybugs but are NOT a friendly visitors. Try yellow trap, they worked great for you. Sorry to hear it, Marsha. I hope you find what causes it.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #2582
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I love the tulle wrap method. I have 2 Sweet Success cucumber plants growing, healthy as can be. It was really great to learn these moths that lay pickle worm eggs are nocturnal. Thank thank thank you Barb.

Does anyone know why my cucumbers will sometimes grow larger, than they started, then just quit, turn yellow and die. Like a lot at once. The fruit is what I mean. The plant stays healthy and other cucumbers form to maturity. I can't figure it out.

I have direct sown bush green beans seeds, then something was eating the sprouts. I covered it with tulle and there was a slug under the tulle this morning. Gross!
Are you asking that the cucumber gets maybe 1.5-2" and then fizzles out and dies?
but all the rest of the cukes keep growing, etc and plant is healthy?

If so, I've really only had this happen on the parthenocarpic kind; not on the bee needing kind. I just thought the failure was in fertilization process even though they don't require bees, etc to get fertilized.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #2583
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
While cucumbers are still small sometimes birds pick at their flowers and cucumbers stop growing, get yellow and dry out. That is what I noticed here. And more than once. It does not have to be birds, any flower eating bug including thrips. BTW cucumber beetles looks similar to ladybugs but are NOT a friendly visitors. Try yellow trap, they worked great for you. Sorry to hear it, Marsha. I hope you find what causes it.
Thanks Ella, I will look for cucumber beetles. Birds won't bother it, it is in a cove about a foot away from my front door , in an earthbox, on top of smooth river rocks. No trees near. I haven't seen any beetles or ladybugs but I will look carefully.

Barb these are parthenocarpic, so you might be right .
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #2584
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Some parthenocarpic varieties still need a polinating cuke, which are you growing? If it's OP my guess would be either to dry/hot or needs more ferts. OP cukes abort fruit a lot under stress. I quit growing non hybrids, I'd hardly get any cukes but last year was insane. I was picking cukes daily for months.

Last edited by BigVanVader; February 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #2585
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Jeremy - What kind of cucumbers did you grow?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2017   #2586
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Success
Old February 27, 2017   #2587
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Sweet Success
That is the variety I am growing.
Old February 28, 2017   #2588
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Then I don't know. Mine performed amazingly well considering the conditions and never aborted any cukes.
Old February 28, 2017   #2589
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Then I don't know. Mine performed amazingly well considering the conditions and never aborted any cukes.
Must be something about my conditions. I hope I can figure it out.
Old February 28, 2017   #2590
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...umber_cultivar

This reinforces what growers told me. Having another pollen source seems to eliminate fruit abortion. I had one OP variety in the GH and that must have been why I didn't see any. This is why mine had seeds but I didn't really care since the taste was the same.
Old March 1, 2017   #2591
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha/Ella,

Have my first batch of tomatoes drying. Marsha my dehydrator does have temp control... my bad, so I set it to 135. I have the dehydrator outside on a table and plugged in. Does anyone think there will be an issue with drying them outside? Its hot, not wind and not supposed to rain.

I didnt season them at all. Will rotate the trays in a few hours I guess.

Has anyone stored them in olive oil?

Thanks!
Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #2592
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

As far as drying outside goes, I've never had a problem doing that. I've set my dehydrator on the front porch a lot of times (roof in case of bad weather) while I'm at work and its worked fine. Beats having the heat in the house from the fan exhaust, especially in summer.
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #2593
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Lastfling. Is there a certain thickness or way of cutting the tomatoes that works best?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #2594
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...umber_cultivar

This reinforces what growers told me. Having another pollen source seems to eliminate fruit abortion. I had one OP variety in the GH and that must have been why I didn't see any. This is why mine had seeds but I didn't really care since the taste was the same.
Thank you so Much! Even though it is sweet success, one of the 2 vines makes a few male flowers, do I am hand pollinating the fresh females. Let's see what happens. I am doing this because I read your link.
Old March 1, 2017   #2595
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

Marsha/Ella,

Have my first batch of tomatoes drying. Marsha my dehydrator does have temp control... my bad, so I set it to 135. I have the dehydrator outside on a table and plugged in. Does anyone think there will be an issue with drying them outside? Its hot, not wind and not supposed to rain.

I didnt season them at all. Will rotate the trays in a few hours I guess.

Has anyone stored them in olive oil?

Thanks!
Ginny
My dehydrator is used on my patio on a table. No issues. I don't season mine either. Thinking about using the dehydrator for kale chips, I will season those with a light olive oil toss, kosher salt, fresh pepper, garlic powder and sesame seeds. I found that you have to hold light on the salt when drying due to concentration once the water is gone.

Ginny storing them in olive oil would work very well. I just put mine in a zip lock freezer bag, and on the pantry shelf.