Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 20, 2019   #2611
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

snow pack keeps the soil at a constant temp, protecting whatever is planted underneath
from freeze/thaw causing damage to new sprouts spurred on by unusual warm weather
followed by the return to the deep freeze.
i have about 4 ft of snow pack on my garden.

i think your question might be tongue in cheek paul?

current snowfall to date for houghton county is 214 inches.
5 to 8 inches are predicted here late afternoon through early am here.

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; February 20, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #2612
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
snow pack keeps the soil at a constant temp, protecting whatever is planted underneath
from freeze/thaw causing damage to new sprouts spurred on by unusual warm weather
followed by the return to the deep freeze.
i have about 4 ft of snow pack on my garden.

current snowfall to date for houghton county is 214 inches.
5 to 8 inches are predicted here late afternoon through early am here.

keith
I'd almost trade you some of your snow for the >22" of rain that we've had since Dec 1st. Notice that I said "almost"....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #2613
bower
Tomatovillian™

Another thing I've noticed about snow vs rain. Snow melts slowly into the ground and replenishes the groundwater - as you mentioned PaulF you will likely have fewer problems with soil moisture this year, especially perennials, trees and shrubs, things you don't water. A deep snow in February is a good sign people's wells will be alright for the summer ahead.

Whereas rain has a tendency to just run off into the rivers and whoops it's gone. Especially if it's raining on frozen ground, there's not much chance of getting down through that.

Since February is the coldest month here, best chance that rain is wasted on the ground unless it pools and freezes into a thick block of ice. And that is not at all the nice cover for your plants. Snow lets air exchange happen and is a good insulator. Ice seems to drown stuff.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019   #2614
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

its snowing pretty good right now. it started about 2pm and now, its just not a good time to be out there driving around.

people shouldn't ask me to send some snow their way.

one winter not long after we moved up here, an aunt in the metro detroit area wrote in her christmas card that it
was alright to send them a little snow. i said okey dokie.
that winter, the metro area had two storms close together dump a foot or more of snow each time. building roofs were collapsing, the area was just a mess.
ever since, that aunt would write in the christmas card, and don't send anymore snow.
you have no concept of what a little snow is.
just my generous nature.

keith
Old February 21, 2019   #2615
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

O, well. We don,t get snow down here but plenty of rain. Got about 3 inches in the past 72 hrs. And there is some more in the forecast.can,t complain. Its like early spring. I planted few,potatoes today..But we will have chance of frost until April

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #2616
charley
Tomatovillian™

im thinking of planting out soon my plants are all 12 inches tall but im not sure if the freeze is over.i think the groundhog did not see his shadow so are we good to go.worth when are you planting out.
Old February 22, 2019   #2617
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
im thinking of planting out soon my plants are all 12 inches tall but im not sure if the freeze is over.i think the groundhog did not see his shadow so are we good to go.worth when are you planting out.
Some say that if there is any thunder in February, it will frost in April. That's what old Mr. Rufus across the street believes, and he's usually right. I'm probably gonna hold off til after Easter...we've had lots of thunder this month and more to come.

Old February 22, 2019   #2618
MdTNGrdner

Lots of thunder here too, Jon - and I'm just now starting my tomato seeds; too wet to get the garden ready early anyway! I'm hoping to plant out late April / early May, about 3 weeks later than normal, but we'll see if the rain stops. Raining now and I'm headed to the patio to make potting mix.
Old February 22, 2019   #2619
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post

keith
No, not really. Besides moisture and plant protection, I have memory of snow pack adding to the nitrogen levels and some other benefits. Just trying to find something good in a long, nasty winter.

Our forecast is for drizzle turning to rain turning to freezing drizzle turning to freezing rain turning to 3 inches of snow on top of the ice. Maybe this one will go north of us.
Old February 22, 2019   #2620
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Lots of thunder here too, Jon - and I'm just now starting my tomato seeds; too wet to get the garden ready early anyway! I'm hoping to plant out late April / early May, about 3 weeks later than normal, but we'll see if the rain stops. Raining now and I'm headed to the patio to make potting mix.
We've had way too much rain here, but nothing like you guys in Tennessee. Y'all have been gettin' swamped!

Old February 22, 2019   #2621
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Some say that if there is any thunder in February, it will frost in April. That's what old Mr. Rufus across the street believes, and he's usually right. I'm probably gonna hold off til after Easter...we've had lots of thunder this month and more to come.
Mr Rufus is a smart man, the old Cajuns here say the same thing.

Another interesting folklore here is St. Medard's Day(June 8th), or pronounced in Cajun French "Sam-e-da".
St Medard lived in 5th & 6th Century France and is the patron saint of weather and rain.

"Legend says that when he was a child, Medard was once sheltered from the rain by a hovering eagle. This is his most common depiction in art, and led to his patronage of good weather, against bad weather, for people who work the fields, etc.

Legend has it that if it rains on his feast day June 8th, the next 40 days will be wet; if the weather is good, the next 40 will be fine as well.
Old February 22, 2019   #2622
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
No, not really. Besides moisture and plant protection, I have memory of snow pack adding to the nitrogen levels and some other benefits. Just trying to find something good in a long, nasty winter.

Our forecast is for drizzle turning to rain turning to freezing drizzle turning to freezing rain turning to 3 inches of snow on top of the ice. Maybe this one will go north of us.

...and just turned onto a blizzard warning when the ice changes over to snow tomorrow afternoon. Icing on the 2 feet of white "cake" we already have packed down.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #2623
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

For a change Omaha is getting the brunt of the storm. Down south we have dropped into the 1-3 inches of snow...maybe.
Old February 22, 2019   #2624
MdTNGrdner

Swamp is a good word for what's going on out there. We have two rain ponds and a tributary to our wet weather creek! Fortunately it absorbs quickly or we'd have trouble.
Old February 24, 2019   #2625
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

blizzard going on here.
12 to 18 inches expected. that puts us in the pink zone in john dees graphic.
at some point i have to get out and move some snow but its like being in a sack
of flour outside.
nothing was happening when i got up during the night to visit the bathroom.
when i took our dog out before 7am there was about 5 inches on the ground.
plows are probably off the road due to visibility conditions.
we are snowed in.

keith