Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2017   #2626
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I am going to be doing the same thing. I hope covering the tomatoes will work. I have most of my peppers in 7 gallon pots. I will move some inside but I found that a 5 gallon bucket will fit perfectly on top of the 7 gallon pots and the peppers are still small enough to fit inside. I am still hoping the 27 degree prediction is wrong but better safe than sorry.
Good luck Kay. It's sort of late for a freeze. I need to look at the weather too, I think.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #2627
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

Here's a map from US National Weather Service Tampa Bay Florida's Facebook page, in case it helps anyone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I am going to be doing the same thing. I hope covering the tomatoes will work. I have most of my peppers in 7 gallon pots. I will move some inside but I found that a 5 gallon bucket will fit perfectly on top of the 7 gallon pots and the peppers are still small enough to fit inside. I am still hoping the 27 degree prediction is wrong but better safe than sorry.
My tomatoes have gone down to 35 uncovered and been fine. They also survived two nights at 32 covered. But they weren't loaded with fruit then like they are now. I'm the most worried about my bananas. They got hit hard by our two nights at 32, even though I covered them. Now they all have new growth, plus one sent up a pup just last week. Bad timing, little guy.

The forecast for my zip code keeps changing between 35 and 34, so I'm hoping the 27 degree prediction will miss me, too. I'm gonna leave everything covered/inside for Thursday night as well. It's saying 37 for me Thursday night but I don't trust it. It said 41 for tonight and now this, so... I'll play it safe.
Merridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #2628
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry your lettuce is just beautiful. Are you going to cover it for tonight's freeze warning? You are an excellent gardener. Everything you grow looks perfect and outstanding.
Marsha,
Thanks for your generous comments, but I'm only a hack gardener compared to you and many others here on Tomatoville. Yesterday, I was looking at your list of seeds you had available this year and it boggled my mind. I thought, How on earth does she do it.
I'm not very equipped for covering plants, although I may try to cover somethings. I have quite a bit of small bean plants exposed and lots of tomato plants.
The low here is only reported to be 40 tomorrow morning. However, some of my plants could still be exposed to damaging frost. The wind is predicted to be 7 mph. I don't know if that is high enough to provide any protection. Here it is a month after the last normal frost date. It isn't supposed to be doing this. March seems to be making up for a warmer than normal February.
The low of 40 here is supposed to occur at 8 am. I'm curious if it would be of value to spray exposed plants with the hose an hour or two before the predicted low.

Last edited by Zone9b; March 15, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2017   #2629
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Set mine out this past weekend and looky what we got coming. I put empty buckets over them. We'll see.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #2630
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Mine made it through with no trouble. Hope that was the result for all of you as well.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #2631
kurt
Tomatovillian™

We got down to60. 65 at most.I am close to end of state. 10 b.
Old March 16, 2017   #2632
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Local TV said 37 in Orlando. I saw 40 here at home but it could have dropped a bit from there. No frost and not a record. The record low of 30 was set in 1932 and the record high of 94 was set in 1921.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2017   #2633
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Our low was about 48; it usually occurs around 6-7AM. It's the winds that are the problem here.

I hope Kay and everyone up north faired OK.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #2634
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We didn't even think about it here. Our low was 54. So glad everyone got through it OK.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2017   #2635
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

That is a good news!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #2636
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I know I have a tomato problem when my first thought when I saw the news about Florida's pending frost was: Oh no! I hope all their tomatoes will be alright!
Really, now. But so relieved and glad everything was fine for your folks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #2637
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
I know I have a tomato problem when my first thought when I saw the news about Florida's pending frost was: Oh no! I hope all their tomatoes will be alright!
Really, now. But so relieved and glad everything was fine for your folks.
and a few days without having to run the A/C always helps.
Old March 19, 2017   #2638
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

Our low was upper 20's for a couple of nights. Highs in the 60's and I had some tomato and pepper seedlings on a shelf in the cattle panel greenhouse (12' X 40') along with plants already in dutch buckets. I was interested in how well the seedlings would do with these temps. The end walls of the greenhouse are open but the plants are covered with shade cloth and plastic. I was really surprised, the seedlings did just fine and no plants were lost. The seedlings will probably go in the buckets next week or so.

49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #2639
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Sorry if I'm posting too many of these, but it keeps coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170319_0192.JPG (289.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170319_0181.JPG (243.7 KB, 47 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017   #2640
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Never too many pictures. Keep them coming? Pictures of plants too. It really makes me want to grow cherry tomatoes since most of what I grow I give away. What are the orange ones? What are the pointy red ones in the bowl? What are the red ones with the green shoulders?

I recognize the Pink Bumblebee. I am definitely going to grow PB next fall. I'm growing Maglia Rosa now; this is the first time the plant has done well for me too.

Max - Are you in the Miami area?

Last edited by Barb_FL; March 19, 2017 at 04:26 PM.