Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2019   #2626
salix
Tomatovillian™

Keith, hope it stops soon. This winter is getting very tiresome, -29 C up here again last night
Old February 24, 2019   #2627
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

this is the worst storm i have personally experienced.
heavy snow continues to fall. winds are at 40mph with gusts
into the 60s. no point in trying to move any snow. m28 between
harvey and munising is closed. that stretch runs along lake superior.
i am a bit surprised we still have power, and internet.
one good thing about being unemployed is i don't have to be anywhere any time soon.
we can't go anywhere, but at least we are safe. water is set aside, and plenty of wood
in the house for heat.
others aren't so lucky. someone we know in wisconsin said there was a 40 car pile up
on us 41 near green bay. this is no weather for traveling.

hunkered down

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019   #2628
PlainJane

Be safe, Keith.
You’re closer to the end of winter than the beginning, at least.
Day length and sun angle starts to make a real difference now.
Old February 25, 2019   #2629
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Keith... be safe. that was a terrible amount of wind. I can't imagine it with snow too. lots of cleaning up now, just don't over do it. too cold or too tired is a bad experience with snow.
Old February 25, 2019   #2630
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Keith, I'm glad you're not out in the weather! I would hate to be a commuter, but the time I most appreciate working at home is in the winter, when you just pick the nicest day to be out and forget the rest.
Our next storm is on the radar, expected to hit this afternoon. Not much snow - only 10-15 cm - but the wind will be gusting 100 kph so similar to your conditions from a wind POV. Windy enough I expect all the shoveling will be in one place.
Tomorrow looks good for a shoveling, but the rest of the week the winds will be back up there. We only just came out of the deepfreeze with windchills to -30 C (-22 F) for days in a row. We don't often get it that cold, so I hope that's the end of it as temperatures start to ease up into March.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019   #2631
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it is a remarkable sight to see out there right now. the amount of snow outside, and what the wind has done with it. normally i move the snow from around the house with
the truck and plow clearing as much area as i can to save wear and tear on the tractor.
i don't think i can do that today due to the amount of snow. i think i am going to have
to peck away with the tractor and blower, and slowly widen out some areas giving me room to maneuver. its going to be like eating an elephant with a knife and fork.

keith
Old February 25, 2019   #2632
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

things were going ok for awhile right up until i got the tractor stuck in a weird spot 2/3 of the way down our drive way. i got hung up in an uneven spot, and after a half hour of digging and getting it unstuck then stuck again, we had to pull it out with the truck.
unfortunately a front tire on the tractor went flat during that process, and is ruined. our road has not been plowed yet, so no one can get in or out. once the road is plowed we have several neighbors with tractors that would clear the rest of the drive so i
can get out, and get the tire replaced. not a happy camper right now.
everything always turns out ok in the end, but the journey sometimes, oh my!

keith
Old February 26, 2019   #2633
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

sunny but dang cold here. it was minus 5 this morning.

storm update.

we got about 17 inches of snow here in the copper country. those amounts can vary due to elevation. we got at least that if not more on my road.
the road was finally reopened early afternoon today. there were at least 5ft drifts in the road deposited by winds that reached 69mph, hard packed in snow.
my neighbor who has a bigger tractor than i do cleared about a half mile path, and turned around when he reached the 5 ft drifts. he cleared out the bottom part of the drive for me. i was still dead in the water with a flat tractor tire. the tire shop will have it tomorrow. we are slowly getting back to normal.

a word about my neighbor.
he had a heart attack a couple years ago. he made lifestyle changes, eating real healthy,
dropped a bunch of weight, doing everything he needed to do to regain his health.
last year he was diagnosed with liver cancer. he under went high dose chemo, followed
by radiation therapy. the treatment knocked him on his butt for awhile.
now he is back to moving snow around his place, and some elderly neighbors that have
a long driveway similar to mine in the 600 foot range, maybe longer.
he says, you can't just sit around and do nuthin.
my neighbor has helped me out in the past with snow related issues.
he is a real good guy. i hope he still has a fair amount of time left. he deserves it.

keith
Old February 27, 2019   #2634
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I do not envy you the snow. we had one 12-15" windy heavy wet snow event this year and what a job getting that cleaned up. the wind though! what a mess. so, I know it has to be much worse than our heavy wet snow event. glad to hear you are slowly digging it out.just don't over so it getting it done. stay safe.
What a good neighbor man. I hope he also has a fair amount of quality time. good neighbors are hard to come by. hate to lose them to illness and you sure don't wish them to be ill.
Old March 3, 2019   #2635
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Mad at the Universe!

I can't believe it. It's supposed to get down to 34 Monday night. I have my 2019 tomato crop in the ground and cold sensitive annuals and perrenials (mostly flowers to attract pollinators) EVERYWHERE. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 packages of frost protection cloth and spent much of the afternoon trying to protect everything. I used a combination of towels, sheets, and the frost cloth. I thought we were past any cold temps like that.
Old March 4, 2019   #2636
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
I can't believe it. It's supposed to get down to 34 Monday night. I have my 2019 tomato crop in the ground and cold sensitive annuals and perrenials (mostly flowers to attract pollinators) EVERYWHERE. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 packages of frost protection cloth and spent much of the afternoon trying to protect everything. I used a combination of towels, sheets, and the frost cloth. I thought we were past any cold temps like that.
If it does not go further down than 34F, it should not be serious for tomatoes, especially if there are no high winds.
Even then a l8ght cover should do. The coldest time of night is 2 to 3 hours before sunrise. Then starts warming up.
It is the cold wind that causes most damage, by removing heat from plans at faster rate. That is called wind chill factor. So even a light covering can prevent it.

Down here, if we get a chilly night, after plant out, I would pile a lot of pine straw on and around my plants.

At any event one should take adequate mesures. Better to be safe than sorry.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #2637
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
If it does not go further down than 34F, it should not be serious for tomatoes, especially if there are no high winds.
Even then a l8ght cover should do. The coldest time of night is 2 to 3 hours before sunrise. Then starts warming up.
It is the cold wind that causes most damage, by removing heat from plans at faster rate. That is called wind chill factor. So even a light covering can prevent it.

Down here, if we get a chilly night, after plant out, I would pile a lot of pine straw on and around my plants.

At any event one should take adequate mesures. Better to be safe than sorry.
It's 2am and only 25F, but it's supposed to get down to 20F/-6.6C. I have water dripping in the sinks and shower/tub. Dripping water here isn't unheard of in March, but it isn't normal. I don't have any plants outside to lose, but if I did - there's a strong wind factor too. Wind chill 11F right now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #2638
imp
Tomatovillian™

Actual here is 18F, feels at 4F. Getting cold with a small electric heater and 1 stove eye for heat these days, LOL! It's bundle it up weather for sure.

Edit:

Down to 2F for feels like temps right now. Grateful that we do not have RXkeith's weather and hope he and his family are doing well.

Last edited by imp; March 4, 2019 at 06:34 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #2639
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

I just checked the current conditions in El Lago, and it's 38 degrees with a wind chill factor making it feel like 28, so was correct in trying to protect my plants. Normally I wouldn't care if it was in the thirties, it's just that I planted out all of this tender stuff!
Old March 4, 2019   #2640
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Cold protection

Since it was so windy I had to go to the store and buy clothes pins to anchor the cloth in place.

The live oaks are dropping their leaves now so the leaves are everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0304190845.jpg (301.4 KB, 18 views)