Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2016   #256
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Kath, 120 tomato plants!
I hope you will post pictures.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2016   #257
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Kath, 120 tomato plants!
I hope you will post pictures.
I know- I can't believe I did it again, but I had a lot of varieties folks sent me in the past couple years and I decided to just grow out what I had...and then of course, I couldn't resist asking for new ones this fall that people had been raving about, and then the previous favorites, and before you know it 120 happened.
I'll probably post some pics eventually but I've got a lot going on w/ family atm so we'll see.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #258
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I am very excited to report that I just noticed 2 completely unblemished fruits out of nine I counted on DB. Also this is the only variety (other than the dwarfs and cherries), that has been able to keep producing in the extreme heat/humidity we have had for over a month. Keeping fingers crossed.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #259
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to hear that Jillian. Do you know what conditions you were having when these two fruit set? Last year they were all beautiful tomatoes here. I have still to find a smooth one on my plants. Big Cheef is finally setting some fruit and they too are all cat-faced. Temperature here are going into the 90's for the next few days with lows in the 70's. We will see what this brings here.
Old July 29, 2016   #260
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

After a couple weeks of picking I can now report on taste, etc. All DB fruit from different plants taste great. My personal preference is for a tomato with a bit more of a bite. The plants show no signs of disease. One has been left to sprawl and is fighting it out with winter squash for sunlight. It's still setting fruit and ripening well. Only 1 tomato showed any sign any cat facing. It was from a fused blossom.
A couple Daniels are being grown to compare with the DB. These plants are beasts and big producers. The taste is more to my liking.
The plants on the scale are DB. Very uniform in size and shape with no gnarly tendencies. This plant is a winner in all regards. Easy to control dense bushy habit, super producer of quality fruit that taste good. In a year where most tomatoes are tasting great, DB has run into stiff competition. This tomato will become a regular in the garden. Thanks MissS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0485.jpg (257.8 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0489.jpg (297.6 KB, 256 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #261
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
After a couple weeks of picking I can now report on taste, etc. All DB fruit from different plants taste great. My personal preference is for a tomato with a bit more of a bite. The plants show no signs of disease. One has been left to sprawl and is fighting it out with winter squash for sunlight. It's still setting fruit and ripening well. Only 1 tomato showed any sign any cat facing. It was from a fused blossom.
A couple Daniels are being grown to compare with the DB. These plants are beasts and big producers. The taste is more to my liking.
The plants on the scale are DB. Very uniform in size and shape with no gnarly tendencies. This plant is a winner in all regards. Easy to control dense bushy habit, super producer of quality fruit that taste good. In a year where most tomatoes are tasting great, DB has run into stiff competition. This tomato will become a regular in the garden. Thanks MissS
Your more than welcome.

Thank you so much for your report. I really appreciate you taking the time to let us all know how this plant is doing for you. I am happy to hear that you have had such success growing it out. How many plants are you growing and are they all behaving the same as far as growth and production is concerned?

It sounds as if you have found two tomatoes that you now enjoy. Daniels and Daniel Burson. So I am very happy that you had this experience this season.
Old July 30, 2016   #262
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Well, after reading all the feedback I'm going to have to grow DB next year. I'd better go ahead and inform the DH that we might as well build some more raised beds this winter.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #263
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd.. View Post
Well, after reading all the feedback I'm going to have to grow DB next year. I'd better go ahead and inform the DH that we might as well build some more raised beds this winter.
Seed will be available at the MMMM swap. Ted at Heritage Seed Market will be offering it soon for a very fair price too.
Old July 30, 2016   #264
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

3 plants are being grown in the ground in two different locations. 2 are caged and one left to sprawl. Growth habit is the same. Production differs slightly due to soil quality. The plants are pretty much left to fend for themselves. A handful of additional waterings and no food.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #265
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Seed will be available at the MMMM swap. Ted at Heritage Seed Market will be offering it soon for a very fair price too.

Awesome! I'll put it on my MMMM wishlist.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #266
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I finally pulled my DB.
It was planted out second half of April and by the end of July had no fruits set.
In the same bed, next to it other darks : CP, IS , BFT have abundant of fruits though not ripe yet.
So I guess it did not thrive in my garden well. Plus , the plant was weak , kept growing fused stems, and got gray mold . But the mold was kept at check. It just did not set fruits.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #267
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I finally pulled my DB.
It was planted out second half of April and by the end of July had no fruits set.
In the same bed, next to it other darks : CP, IS , BFT have abundant of fruits though not ripe yet.
So I guess it did not thrive in my garden well. Plus , the plant was weak , kept growing fused stems, and got gray mold . But the mold was kept at check. It just did not set fruits.
I'm sorry to hear that it did not do well for you this year. It seems as if you are having a hard year all the way around. I don't think that you were ever happy with the plant. I do hope that your other plants do well for you and give some decent fruit to enjoy.

Thanks for trialing Daniel Burson and sharing your experience with us.
Old July 31, 2016   #268
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I'm sorry to hear that it did not do well for you this year. It seems as if you are having a hard year all the way around. I don't think that you were ever happy with the plant. I do hope that your other plants do well for you and give some decent fruit to enjoy.

Thanks for trialing Daniel Burson and sharing your experience with us.
Yes , I have been having a hard year. I pulled another one : OLD GERMAN and should pull yet another one : NEW BIG DWARF. for the same reason as DB ; not setting fruits in more than 90 days from plant out.

Out of about 30 varieties 1o have been disappointing. I blame it for bad season. But this is also a test to tell the sheep from the goat.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #269
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've had two PL plants and I also grew out one RL plant. The comparisons I noted are few and may not bother some folks. Here's what I noted when I compared one to the other.

1. Slight foliage difference. Minor serration but only near the stem end of leaves. Colors were the same. Growth time to setting fruit and then to ripe fruit close enough to be called the same (based on my small sample). Even the stem diameters were the close enough to be called the same.

2. Bloom trusses were identical in structure with the plants having trusses with from 3 to 5 fruit sets per truss. Green fruit color patterns were also identical (blossom end, mid-fruit sides, and shoulder areas). The size of the stem scar and the last inch of the fruit stems, which can vary greatly, were comparable in thickness and general appearance.

3. Fruit taste at various levels of ripeness (dead ripe, medium, and first full color) had no discernible differences. Keeping time on the counter for a fully colored fruit was about 9 days on the counter at 75 degrees F.

4. For the potato leaf fruits, they were as you have seen in pictures within this thread. Round, slightly oblate and averaging 12-18 ounces. For the regular leaf plant, with everything else the same, I noted that the fruit were slightly larger (14-20 oz's) and that most fruit had mild to moderate "cat facing" of the blossom end.

So, there you have it. If you are raising tomatoes just to have some good tasting fruits, then you will find either RL or PL to be equally satisfactory. If you're a purest, like myself, then keep them separate or only grow one or the other. Bill Jeffers, who is the originator of Daniel Burson, suggested that the RL version should simply not be grown. Personally, I will keep both and send the RL fruits to my juice and some plants will go to my neighbors and some family members who only care about taste.

I hope this information is helpful. This is a great tasting tomato no matter whether you find you have RL or PL foliage.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #270
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ted for your very keen observations and expert descriptions of your Daniel Burson plants. I have found it very interesting and informative.

It sounds as if you enjoyed growing Daniel Burson this year. I am also happy to hear that you are honoring Bill Jeffers wishes in not sharing of the seeds for the RL plants. He has given us a wonderful tomato and we should keep it as he intended.

Much Thanks!