Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2007   #256
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Suze and Feldon...Great pictures ! Suze, I will continue to nurse my Tas BY seedling along...We went from 50's to 87 and windy, now back to 50's and rain...The seedlings are mostly dealing well except a few ( of which Tas BY is one of them)...Monomakh's Hat was one of my earliest tomatoes last year, but this year it will be much later...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2007   #257
duajones
Tomatovillian™

as bad as I would like to attend the settfest, it will just not be possible. Hopefully I can make early arrangements for next year
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007   #258
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Really sorry to hear that.

Well, I don't think it's too early to start drawing some conclusions. First, Duane, you have to get the 1st prize award for Most Improved. I remember the pictures you posted last year and all the problems you had. This year, I think you got rewarded for all your hard work and research!

I'm guessing you've made a few new friends too with extras to give away!

Based on your and my results, I am definitely thinking 2-3 Jet Star and 2-3 Cherokee Purple plants just as staples. Gregori's Altai, Sungold, and Black Cherry were fantastically productive.

For the rest, it's back to the hard decisions. I just don't have the room for plants that give me less than 5 tomatoes. These include Anna Russian (4), Red Penna (2), Tidwell German (1), Cherokee Green (6 and 0), Burracker's Favorite (4), and Wes (3).

Brad's Black Heart and Paul Robeson are right on that threshold of 6 tomatoes per plant. Paul Robeson blew me away with a flavor arguably better than my favorite Cherokee Purple and so now I have to give it 1-2 slots as well. I have not tasted a BBH yet.

Brandy Boy was a huge disappointment. I got 2 tomatoes early on (great flavor) and now there are 5 just hanging there. They'll be some of the last tomatoes I get, only beaten by the lateness of Cherokee Green.

I've already got 35-40 varieties picked out for next year including Vodar and Neves Azorean Red. Gotta pare my list down somehow!

It's looking like for SETTFest, I won't have any purple tomatoes left except Black Cherry.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007   #259
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind words Morgan. And even though its not over and Im battling those darn stink bugs, my season was definitely a success. Jet Star was probably my favorite tasting hybrid of the year and will definitely return. CP will get more than one spot. Azoychka did really well for me and several liked it best. Im on the fence about NBD as it gave me mainly smallish ugly fruit early on, but noticed yesterday that the 3 plants are loaded and I may get some normal fruit from it before its over. Its definitely one of the stronger tasting tomatoes that I have tasted to date. I have some hard decisions to make as well. Besides what I have already grown, I have seeds for:
Neves Azorean Red
Flamme
Earl's Faux
Green Giant
Gregori's Altai
Aunt Gerties Gold
Gary O'Sena
Mariannas Peace (free with last order)
Old June 7, 2007   #260
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I am totally drooling right now!!! I love seeing your photos---it almost makes me want to live in Texas. I'm hoping for a good harvest this year. I planted later than usual, but hopefully the earlies with produce well for me and I can at least get one or two ripe fruits from the other varieties I planted so I can save seeds.

I hear you Jeanne! We have been in the 90s for several days and yeaterday and today have been cold and rainy. This time last year we had a late frost, so I've been watching the weather closely. So far not temps below 40 and things should start warming up a bit.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2007   #261
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I decided to pick these a little early, do to some possum trouble. I eliminated one that I was allowing to live under my porch after he took my first ripe tomato of the season, but 3 weeks later another started to bite the toms.

From left to right- 1st 3 BW& BW sudduth, Next 3 CP(notice the large bites taken out of the first two), last Earl' F.
Sorry for the dissorganization in this photo. First the large Highly ribbed one, and its smal neighbor are a giant pear with superb flavor from an old Italian guy in the bay area
Below is EF, to the right is Stupice and then GMG, and the other yellow looking one is a premature persimmon.

Cheers all.

Vince
Old June 8, 2007   #262
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Wow that ribbed one! How much does it weigh? The other tomatoes look a little afraid of it.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #263
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Fliptx,

The ribbed one is probably just under a pound, the second CP in the first photo is heavier. Most of the fruits on the pear tomato plant really look like pears but this guy is a double.

Vince
Old June 9, 2007   #264
Warren
Tomatovillian™

I will have two okra pods in the next day or so.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #265
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

I don't have harvest yet but I do have fruitset. Way good for Zone 5/6. Fisrt 2 pics are of my setup. Fruitset pics are of New Yorker, Brandy Boy, Bucks County, Marianna's Peace, Polish (Ellis) and Ugly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture_005.jpg (199.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Picture_006.jpg (223.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg June1007.jpg (248.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Nyorker.jpg (133.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Bboy.jpg (107.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg BCounty.jpg (95.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Mpeace.jpg (101.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Polish.jpg (110.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Ugly.jpg (114.1 KB, 28 views)
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #266
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Your set up looks great! It looks like you've created a micro-climate by planting next to a brick wall, and putting the frost cover on earlier in the season. I like your support system too! What are the red cups for? I think I will try something like that along my fence next year to get a jump on the season.

Tyff
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #267
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

The red cups are just the cups I started the seeds in. They had the plant varieties on them so I just stuck them on top of the posts to keep track of what I planted.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2007   #268
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've updated the SETTFest Photo Gallery page with some of the photos from this topic of Texas tomato growers.
Old June 13, 2007   #269
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

With the exception of Cherokee Green, the last hurrah in my garden is Arkansas Traveler. Hard to believe my season is over before June 30th, but this does line up with most of the advice I've gotten.

Arkansas Traveler

They're nice and sweet and a good overall tomato flavor. A great way to end the season.

The only Earl's Faux I really get to enjoy (the first one cracked and was bland, the last ones will probably be too riddled with stink bug bites):

Earl's Faux

I'm still getting Sungold, Husky Red Cherry, Black Cherry, Gregori's Altai, Jet Star, Brandy Boy, etc. their days are clearly numbered. The plants look pretty bad now with blight, etc.
Old June 13, 2007   #270
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Amazingly, my plants look fairly healthy overall with some blight but not really all that bad. I removed a couple of the plants today and the root system was deeper than in the past. My season is pretty much over as well and its a shame. If not for the stink bugs, I would still be eating Big Beef, Jet Star and Black Krim, and I still have 10 CP on the plant which are bug free.