Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 1, 2019   #2761
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Well, hallelujah. No 100 today. First time in about six or so days. 90 actually felt wonderful! It was 67 this morning at 8am, not 80.
But it was a dry front that passed through last night. Now...if y'all could pass along a little of your overabundant rain I'd be ever so grateful. We've been three weeks without any. That's not unusual here in the summer but it's here a bit early this year. .
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2019   #2762
bower
Tomatovillian™

A horticulture professional was interviewed on the radio yesterday... we are 4-6 weeks behind normal spring.

So far we are drawing a blank on the forecast of warming up. Actual highs are running at least 5-6 C below what is forecasted, not sure what's going on with the weather guys but they are way off and consistently. We did get just above 12 C yesterday (instead of forecast 18) - for about an hour, then the chilling returned.

No regrets about starting tomatoes so few and so late this year. I would have a mess of big plants by now and nowhere to give em relief. Daffodil and dandelion are blooming though, so I must stick a few peas and potatoes in the ground.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2019   #2763
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Our actual last frost was in mid-April, and the weather has been warm & mild. Great! The garden is growing well. Except for the damaging rain; Zelienople PA declared itself a disaster area from the flood damage.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2019   #2764
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

frost this morning.

i put all my flats of plants in vehicles overnight. they were ok.
we are certainly behind here. we have not had a 70 degree day yet.
hard to say when safe plant out day will be. lilacs would normally be blooming. they are
at tight green bud stage currently.

keith
Old June 5, 2019   #2765
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It has rained over 6 inches of rain over the past 6 days - including 2+ inches this morning, and more is on the way. I tied the tomato plants to the cages hoping for less damage later tonight.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #2766
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Salt, time to buy a boat ?? thats alot of rain. We had over 6 for the whole month of May. thats the 4th month in a row weve been over our average. were only 6 days into June and over average already.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Last edited by matereater; June 6, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #2767
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well we're finally seeing the promise of spring! Several days in a row now of summery temperatures getting close to 70 F, and even had a humidex above that. Leaves started to emerge on the trees yesterday. It has turned rainy as well but we seemed to need it, as I found the ground was a bit dry for planting. Got caught twice in downpours while getting some peas in the ground. Warm and wet for at least several days to come. (not counting the icy breeze).
Of course with the warmth comes... blackflies! I was clearing brush for a couple of hours yesterday and for some reason they were pitching on me but not biting. Great I said, I'll continue... Then in the last half hour they suddenly changed their minds. Ouch!

@Salt, that is a crazy amount of rain. Glad you are not flooded, at that rate.
Old June 6, 2019   #2768
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I know how you feel.

We had a rain storm that came through and dumped between 6-12" of rain in the last 8 hours on top of the constant drizzle yesterday. Most of the roadways are holding water and the news is shaming everyone for getting stalled trying to drive through the water. We have a "No Wake" law when it floods, that means if you drive through flood water and make waves that go into homes or cars you are responsible for all damages. The Cajun Navy is out towing people to dry ground in an old Deuce and a half.

It's been a tough year for gardening, we had rain and clouds most of spring then went straight to summer time temps in the high 90's and now I have at least a foot of water draining across the garden.

Do Ya'll remember this meme?

Here's the garden at 7 this morning

I'm glad the rain stopped before I had to tie the boat to a tree!! Those white things are the tomato strings for a lower and learn system and the pipes are 7' tall, there's probably 1-2" in the garden. There's corn, okra and peppers in there too. I guess it's time to start fall tomatoes!!

Just another beautiful day in Louisiana, that's the bridge to my driveway. The water is about 5' below the house so I'm good unless I need to leave.
Old June 6, 2019   #2769
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Man, that hit you quick, Rajun! Such a shame about all that water in your garden. Since I have the radar up for my area I shifted it over to your area. That sure was a nasty storm line that passed over you. It looks clean and green to the west now. Hopefully it will run off quick enough that it won't kill all the plants or do you think it's a complete loss already? I'm glad the water stopped short of your house!
Old June 6, 2019   #2770
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

After reading about all of you who are drowning, I feel almost guilty posting that we are still dry here. Yesterday, Day 25 without rain, an approaching storm split and went around us again, raining on everybody except those of us living under some invisible dome.

There's a big green blob to the west right now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd love to get rid of my new name... Dances With Hoses.
Old June 6, 2019   #2771
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Useless June, hardly seen the sun and raining almost every day

plants growing sluggishly
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #2772
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Dances With Hoses

YEP, there's flooding everywhere. This was nothing compared to 2016 when I couldn't see the bridge. Check out the same pic from 2016 of the bridge, it's under there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160812_075210[1].jpg (79.8 KB, 60 views)
Old June 6, 2019   #2773
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, Rajun! What a shame about your garden. So glad your house is out of reach!
Old June 6, 2019   #2774
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've seen people being rescued and then put into handcuffs for going around closed road barriers.

The Arkansas river is flooded and is a major contributory of the Mississippi river https://www.google.com/search?ei=DUL...30.49nLzNjY_HY
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2019   #2775
NM_Dirt_Digger
Tomatovillian™

It has been dry here too. But, it is the winds that have hurt the plants. We have had wind, sometimes up to 50 MPH, since the last week of April. Now though we are supposed to return to a normal weather pattern with temps near or above 100 degrees til the Sept cool down.
NM_Dirt_Digger is offline   Reply With Quote