Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old August 9, 2016   #271
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Supa Hots! http://i.imgur.com/HrPCdU8.jpg

Big Sun Habanero in the back, Fatali, Naga Viper, and White Bullet Habanero

The rest of my messy pepper pile: http://i.imgur.com/HU9kM7B.jpg
Those bumps...yikes, be afraid crypts of Lieberkühn, be very afraid.

I've got 7 pot Brain Strain, 7 pot, Ghost, Carolina R, Morouga, and the relatively mild Choc Habanero, Black Cobra,and Red Mushroom at the seedling stage.

Soon I will make some macho macho men cry!!!!!

Last edited by Gerardo; August 10, 2016 at 01:57 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #272
imp
Tomatovillian™

Those are some lovely looking peppers. If the orange crunch pepper is so tight with seeds, I shall have to locate a source and grow out enough plants to make sure I get plenty to share.

I like heat up to a mild jalapeno, but Rob used to like the real hot ones. So, I used to grow the hots for him, the sweets for me!

Try mixing a hot pepper into butter to make like habenero butter and slide the flavored butter under the skin of a roasting chicken or the skin of a fryer before lightly breading the fryer. Also put the butter in the roaster's cavity- so good!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #273
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Those bumps...yikes, be afraid crypts of Lieberkühn, be very afraid.

I've got Red Mushroom, 7 Brain Strain, 7 pod, Ghost, Carolina R, Morouga, Black Cobra and the relatively mild Choc Habanero at the seedling stage.

Soon I will make some macho macho men cry!!!!!
Gerardo, there is a real wicked streak in you - and I just love it!! LOL.

Meanest thing I did with peppers, had a looks like sweet pepper and some hot make you cry peppers and told my bully I'd eat the whole pepper if he would eat 3 ( because he was such a manly men and I am just a girl...).

Sweet sweet revenge.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #274
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Gerardo, there is a real wicked streak in you - and I just love it!! LOL.

Meanest thing I did with peppers, had a looks like sweet pepper and some hot make you cry peppers and told my bully I'd eat the whole pepper if he would eat 3 ( because he was such a manly men and I am just a girl...).

Sweet sweet revenge.
Macho macho man!! The construction hat guy.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 10, 2016 at 01:46 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #275
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

thanks, over the fight with "green" everything! thanks to you. yeah, the peppers are weird here?? go like hell once they get going but nurse, nurse, nurse, to get them passed the rabbits, bugs, fungi, and wilt! I'll get a pic to you of 2 plants in the ground for a month! I also need/want help identifying what i am harvesting now - it is perfect round, firm when ripe, very red I'll get a pic to you when i get one on the vine again. for the 40th year i can't identify because stakes were misplaced, howed under, or like this year rabbits ate all my 14 variety's tops off so i planted bunches together just hoping some would survive, along with the next several (30) plants from who knows where i acquired. I have entire plants with no tomatoes(they have produced a little but done now - a few blossoms at the top) weird!
Anyway, I will take pic's because this tomato produces a perfect round fruit, not large bright red, and firm when ripe! It may be a Jetstar, Champion, or Big Beef??
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #276
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My mom and step-dad's garden got a lot of horse manure over the winter, and he did a poor job of spreading it around. They planted okra in the spot where the manure was the heaviest. The plants are like huge green trees, the biggest okra I have ever seen. I told them they looked nice, and they mentioned that the plants are hardly blooming at all, and producing very little of a crop. Our okra gardens in the past have had rather poor soil, and always done well.

So when it comes to okra, the science of soil-building is obviously quite different. It's like it prefers bad soil. I have read posts on other forums that indicate sweet potatoes can be similar. In rich, loose soil, they grow long and thin like carrots.

Are there other crops that prefer bad soil? They really turn the good/bad definition on its head.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2016   #277
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Maybe a bit like tomatoes - too much fertilizer is a bad thing? I think what has eaten all my pepper plants is a toad.........
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2016   #278
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

I know grapes like poor soil.

-Zach
Old September 7, 2016   #279
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Buckwheat is one of those that likes poor soil. This is the reason why production of buckwheat went down significantly. Buckwheat is really not a wheat but is sorrel group of plants.
People who like to sing praises to quinoa should look into buckwheat though. Multiple health benefits including controlling blood sugars.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #280
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of quinoa, it's a plant that does not grow well in fertile soil and actually prefers dry saline soil (halophytic).
Look up some images of quinoa farms in Bolivia and see what I mean.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #281
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

My brother in-law only used rabbit manure in his garden. His okra was 8 foot tall every year and it produced hard and heavy. (Like crazy) lol

My okra is less than 4 ft tall and I have had enough to make a pot of gumbo & we fried a bunch one night. I almost have enough to do another round of either.

I pretty much had poor soil this year where the okra was planted. It won't be poor soil next year...
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #282
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I'm going back to eden. Just got a free fresh steaming pile before work, lucky break the neighbor was cutting down their pine. I think my family will be ★★★★ed when they see this, it cost a lot of money to get craps haul away around here. Also scared for my back.

You can see the steam coming out, they won't let me leave it in a pile so I'll have to spread it out. Hopefully the good amount of greens in it will help then break down quicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160909_082716.jpg (608.7 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; September 9, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #283
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Buckwheat is one of those that likes poor soil. This is the reason why production of buckwheat went down significantly. Buckwheat is really not a wheat but is sorrel group of plants.
People who like to sing praises to quinoa should look into buckwheat though. Multiple health benefits including controlling blood sugars.
I'm thinking of growing some sorghum just for fun.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #284
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The "best weed in the garden" award goes to White Bullet Habanero. My tomato plants died, and I have not been to the garden in two and a half months.

One plant towers above the wilderness: http://i.imgur.com/WuIS87k.jpg

And it is covered in peppers: http://i.imgur.com/w5pgKlL.jpg
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #285
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cole, I didn't know that your tomato plants died back 2.5 months ago. That sucks. Was it due to too much rain again?

I pulled mine because of the RKN back in late June and early July. Today, I planted four 35' rows of mustard greens in the onion bed because mustard greens are supposed to help rid the soil of RKN. I had to seriously make myself do it - otherwise I was ready to throw in the towel. Two years of watching a garden fail was/is weighing heavy on me.

I hope the same isn't happening to you too.

I planted the mustards and will be over-planting the heck out of Elbon cereal rye soon in the main garden and raised beds. I have to give the future gardens a fighting chance.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote