Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2013   #271
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

I can relate to water problems, living out in the country as you do. When the power goes out here, it tends to stay out until they fix all other power outages in the area because we have low population density by comparison. One time, 7 days without, and that gives a new appreciation for electricity. Since then, we have learned to keep on hand 15 one-gallon jugs of water just for flushing toilets. Open the lid and pour it into the back tank when necessary. When that water runs out, the generator gets the dust knocked off it and gets hooked up to the well.

I've recently been in and out of hospitals and emergency rooms as my wife struggled with some manifestations of Atrial Fibrillation, including edema. It's no picnic dealing with multiple docs and procedures so I am happy that you're in the upswing phase, as gradual as that slope may be.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2013   #272
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you are back home. I just spent the last 2 plus months running back and forth to The Masonic home in Utica helping the elderly friend whose house burned while he was in the hospital. He got decent care there and could of come home home sooner but it took awhile to find a handicap accessible trailer, get it delivered and all the utilities hooked up to it.

I know there are too many homes that just aren't very good.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #273
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Default Welcome back Dr Carolyn !

The French community of tomato fans regularly followed your hardships and is relieved to read you are back home and recovering nicely. We look forward to reading your posts again. Your vast learning plus your Russian experience are invaluable to worldwide tomato fans.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #274
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately some bad news.

The follow up urine test from taking Cipro atPleasant Valley rehab showed Staph aureus, methicillin resistant, aka MRSA.

Appears to be sensitive to Tetracycline so I had to find someone to drive to the next town in the rain deluge to get it b'c our pharmacy here in town had none.

It isn't known if it was from the hospital or from the rehab place.

So we'll see what happens next. But it does help explain why I have been way below par almost every day, and night, as far as that goes.

Carolyn
Old July 2, 2013   #275
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Very sorry to hear this, Carolyn.

The prevalence of these "superbugs" at our medical centers makes me not want to go into the hospital for anything less than something life threatening.

I do hope the new meds will wipe it out.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #276
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well yuck. I hope the antibiotics knock it out.
Old July 2, 2013   #277
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Oh no! Not good! At least they know what it IS sensitive to. Hope you are feeling better with a course of the Rx.
Old July 2, 2013   #278
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear this. that is a tough bug. Have you or can you take oregano oil. It is a little hard on the stomach, but it is supposed to be an excellent natural antibiotic. Maybe that along with the chemical warfare you need to take will knock it out. I sure hope you feel better soon, though.
Old July 2, 2013   #279
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Dear Carolyn, I hope you will get through this challenge!

I have heard that sage is also a good natural remedy. Do you like sage tea?

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #280
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Unfortunately some bad news.

The follow up urine test from taking Cipro atPleasant Valley rehab showed Staph aureus, methicillin resistant, aka MRSA.

Appears to be sensitive to Tetracycline so I had to find someone to drive to the next town in the rain deluge to get it b'c our pharmacy here in town had none.

It isn't known if it was from the hospital or from the rehab place.

So we'll see what happens next. But it does help explain why I have been way below par almost every day, and night, as far as that goes.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I literally gasped when I read this. You know that's a nosocomial infection, right. Those bas*^#ds. I am so afraid to stay in a hospital because of MRSA.
I am very relieved to hear that at least they did a culture and sensitivity on it.
You know tetracycline can make you photosensitive, even a few minutes in the sun, so please use sunscreen if you go outside. Also, it binds to calcium, so no dairy for 1 hour before and after taking it.
I wish you a speedy recovery which you will no doubt have now.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #281
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For now I'm not going to go with any alternative suggestions, just with the panel of antibiotics that were tested with my own MRSA as being most susceptible.

A very high does of that antibiotic for only three days, so we shall see, retesting a week from Friday.

I was also given a list of MRSA precautions to implement, and will do so.

Carolyn
Old July 2, 2013   #282
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Carolyn, I literally gasped when I read this. You know that's a nosocomial infection, right. Those bas*^#ds. I am so afraid to stay in a hospital because of MRSA.
I am very relieved to hear that at least they did a culture and sensitivity on it.
You know tetracycline can make you photosensitive, even a few minutes in the sun, so please use sunscreen if you go outside. Also, it binds to calcium, so no dairy for 1 hour before and after taking it.
I wish you a speedy recovery which you will no doubt have now.
Marsha
Yes, Marsha, I know everything you posted.The instructions onwhen to take it are a bit different than you indicated, as in one hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after, same reason, and yes, the photosensitivity alert was also on the bottle.

Perhaps you forgot that my professional career was teaching human infectious diseases and the immune response to med students at two different med schools.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much about it when it comes to myself and infectious diseases, but last year when I split my head open due to low K I returend from the hospital with a UTI, the first I'd ever had, and then the Klebsiella pneumonia that had colonized the right ureter and stone that caused me to collapse and lose blood pressure, and all that followed.

Pretty quickly the docs caring for me realized why I kept asking WHICH pathogen was isolated, ,and so it goes.

Carolyn
Old July 2, 2013   #283
kath
Tomatovillian™

Now that you have the necessary medication, I hope that you'll notice a huge improvement in how you're feeling within the next couple of days, Carolyn.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #284
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, Marsha, I know everything you posted.The instructions onwhen to take it are a bit different than you indicated, as in one hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after, same reason, and yes, the photosensitivity alert was also on the bottle.

Perhaps you forgot that my professional career was teaching human infectious diseases and the immune response to med students at two different med schools.

Sometimes I wish I didn't know so much about it when it comes to myself and infectious diseases, but last year when I split my head open due to low K I returend from the hospital with a UTI, the first I'd ever had, and then the Klebsiella pneumonia that had colonized the right ureter and stone that caused me to collapse and lose blood pressure, and all that followed.

Pretty quickly the docs caring for me realized why I kept asking WHICH pathogen was isolated, ,and so it goes.

Carolyn
I meant no insult, just trying to help. I am not sure I knew what your subject was, I did know it was a science background. I took the risk because I would rather you heard it twice than not at all. I was trying to help.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #285
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

MRSA infections in our area are not all that uncommon. We almost lost our young daughter to MRSA. My wife and I have both had it. My brother in law is a driller and travels all around the world. A couple times he nearly died due to lack of the right meds while out of country. His struggles with MRSA continue, about once a year he seems to have another outbreak of it

I only mention this by way of saying, Please get better soon!
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote