Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 4, 2016   #271
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post

I too like your cages, but 9' is overkill for Daniel Burson. This one stays nice and bushy.
Daniel Burson (middle one in picture) grew mostly to 8' and one stem stretching to 8.5'. So in my situation, it grew well in 25"x9' cage.

Several plants in this row got sick to the point I had to pull them. The other tomato locations in the garden were fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160903-101908.jpg (544.0 KB, 438 views)
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2016   #272
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patti, Here is a large DB I found hiding amongst the foliage. I was so happy to see it. It is much larger than the previous fruits from either one of the two I planted. Just waiting for it to ripen. So far the taste has been on the sweetish side and the first ones I picked got soft fast. So we'll see. Looks like a beauty. Will report on taste.
Thanks Sharon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (206.1 KB, 418 views)
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2016   #273
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hi Sharon, Thanks for posting that gorgeous tomato. I hope that it tastes as good as it looks. Let us know what you think about it.

Rockandrollin, your plant looks great. It is nice to hear that your plant has some disease resistance since it's neighbor had to be pulled. What was it that the plant next to it got sick with? It's just nice to have one more bit of information about what this plant has or has not. Are those fruits black or red on that plant?

Thanks!
Old September 11, 2016   #274
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post

Rockandrollin, your plant looks great. It is nice to hear that your plant has some disease resistance since it's neighbor had to be pulled. What was it that the plant next to it got sick with? It's just nice to have one more bit of information about what this plant has or has not. Are those fruits black or red on that plant?
I don't know what the other plants got sick of. Maybe one of the wilt diseases from poor plant management? I have above ground sprinklers and probably should prune more inside of the cages and at the bottom. In that row I lost a Blackberry, Daniel Burson and a GGWT and each of those had a sibling that did fine as seen in the picture.

The color of the fruits you were asking about are........Sunscald. The other fruit were the normal color.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2016   #275
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

This is my only remaining DB. It was set out mid June from a cutting. Three plants gave me and the groundhogs close to 100 fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0537 (2).jpg (689.4 KB, 328 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2016   #276
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
This is my only remaining DB. It was set out mid June from a cutting. Three plants gave me and the groundhogs close to 100 fruit.
It sounds like it was quite productive for you. How did you and your groundhogs like the taste?

My late plantings of Daniel Burson are just ripening now. These later plants have not had any cat-facing at all. They are loaded with fruit. One plant has 57 tomatoes the other 59. I still love the flavor and texture of this one. It will always have a place in my garden as well as my heart!
Old September 22, 2016   #277
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I gave over 40 Daniel Burson plants away to my co-workers and the results are in. Most of these growers were first time or novice growers. Most of the plants were grown in pots that were too small. However, everyone was very pleased with their results! They loved the flavor and the texture. They did not object to the color. Two plants died, one due to an animal the other to perhaps gray mold. Some people did have cat-facing but they still enjoyed the tomatoes.

So, in my opinion, Daniel Burson is an easy plant to grow and is a good choice for beginners. It is suitable for container growing but is more productive in the ground.

Everyone that grew it at work loved it and requested that I start plants for them again next year.

To me, that is a very good endorsement.

Thank you Bill Jeffers for this great tomato!
Old September 22, 2016   #278
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to play next year. gurugardens gave me a beautiful 12oz specimen of Daniel Burson when we attended the Boulder tomato festival, and the taste was fantastic. Saved around a 100 seed from it with the oxiclean method, and it's 16 of 18 germinated and all are potato leaf. A good sign I thought, as well as the tomato looked textbook fancy. I'm excited about 2017 already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg makeover189.jpg (61.0 KB, 272 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2016   #279
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Default ENJOY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I'd like to play next year. gurugardens gave me a beautiful 12oz specimen of Daniel Burson when we attended the Boulder tomato festival, and the taste was fantastic. Saved around a 100 seed from it with the oxiclean method, and it's 16 of 18 germinated and all are potato leaf. A good sign I thought, as well as the tomato looked textbook fancy. I'm excited about 2017 already.
I am glad that you enjoyed it and are so excited to grow it for the upcoming season. Of course I think that you have made an excellent choice and will be well-pleased.
Old October 31, 2016   #280
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Hi Patti...DB produced terrific tasting tomatoes here in Virginia...it was also very productive. I planted it for my Fall crop. They were planted about the end of June and are still producing. We are having an unusually warm spell and the tomatoes are loving it. The tomatoes had no catfacing...maybe a result of planting during warm weather.
Thank you so much for introducing me to Daniel Burson...and being so generous with your seeds.
Thanks again Patti!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016   #281
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
What is the oxyclean method?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #282
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

So, where are Daniel Burson seeds commercially available? Or will it entail a trade or a request from a grower? Sounds like a good one to try.
Old November 4, 2016   #283
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
So, where are Daniel Burson seeds commercially available? Or will it entail a trade or a request from a grower? Sounds like a good one to try.
Ted is selling them at the Heritage Marketplace, Muddy Bucket Farms: http://heritageseedmarket.com/index....daniel-burson/
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #284
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

A good tutorial on the OxiClean seed saving method.

http://settfest.feldoncentral.com/2009/01/saving-seeds/

Last edited by Ricky Shaw; November 4, 2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: link fixed
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2016   #285
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ricky Shaw!
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote