Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 20, 2019   #2896
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

North Georgia (Macon northward) always prays that the hurricanes hit Florida, because one third of our rain fall comes from the rains that come after the hurricane has hit Florida, and the rain bands continue north.

Of course, we get bits and pieces of Floridians coming down with the rain, but that is mostly just fertilizer.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2019   #2897
bower
Tomatovillian™

We used to enjoy the remnants of hurricanes that blew us warm wet weather in the fall. No Floridians left in those stormy dregs. But once you've had landfall at hurricane force, it's never the same. Humberto will be passing south of us this evening, we'll see about Jerry next week.

Nice and warm here this evening I must say!

This garden friend seemed to enjoy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sept20-toad.jpg (268.0 KB, 85 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2019   #2898
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyShoe View Post
The remnants of Imelda is dumping feet of rain in Southeast Texas. An area just west of Beaumont recorded 42.9 inches in 3 days. Yes, 42.9 inches.
I can't imagine that.
Old September 20, 2019   #2899
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If it would have been snow it would have been around 35 feet.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2019   #2900
imp
Tomatovillian™

It's raining up here now, north Texas area. Not real hard, but it seems to be in "wave" form, and the thunder is growling lot. The thunder is the very low, deep tones, feel-it-in-your-bones sort and Ms Piggy is sticking close so she must not like it a lot.

I'm almost cold in the 70's here!!
Old September 20, 2019   #2901
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

And it's dry as a bone here and the weatherman said tonight no rain in sight. Scott's right; falls are dry here except when the occasional hurricane comes up through the Florida panhandle and cries over us a bit. Maybe Jerry will cooperate.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2019   #2902
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

several days of warm weather here are doing the trick for the tomatoes encouraging them to ripen up. temps have been in the 70s, warm for us in the latter part of september. fall colors are beginning to show. getting some rain, but not too bad.
i like it.

keith
Old September 22, 2019   #2903
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Pretty nice here, little too dry the last couple months. It was good for tomatoes, great flavor from most. Too hot the last few days. I put a good watering to everything the other day before the heat came back and I'm thinking another good round of okra is on the way for next week.

42 inches. I can't imagine that. I don't see how it could possibly happen here, but I didn't think we could get 6" in just a couple hours, either.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2019   #2904
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If it would have been snow it would have been around 35 feet.
It's an inconceivable amount! We had 29 feet over six months in one of the worst winters on record here...

The 42 inches rain is more than 5 X the rain Igor dropped here.
Old September 23, 2019   #2905
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019   #2906
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm a Dfc destined to become a Dfb and then a Cfb. What does any of that mean?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2019   #2907
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I'm a Dfc destined to become a Dfb and then a Cfb. What does any of that mean?

Dfc = Subarctic climate; coldest month averaging below 0 °C (32 °F) (or −3 °C (27 °F)) and 1–3 months averaging above 10 °C (50 °F). No significant precipitation difference between seasons (neither abovementioned set of conditions fulfilled).

Cfb = Temperate oceanic climate; coldest month averaging above 0 °C (32 °F) (or −3 °C (27 °F)), all months with average temperatures below 22 °C (71.6 °F), and at least four months averaging above 10 °C (50 °F). No significant precipitation difference between seasons (neither abovementioned set of conditions fulfilled).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B...classification
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019   #2908
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Still no rain. Dry as a bone here and no end in sight. Looks bad for fall. We had a few days where it cooled down but that is now over and mid to upper 90s forecast as far into the future as they will predict and it is no rain and continuing high temps.

I am almost ready to throw in the towel. This having to water almost every spare minute that it isn't above 90 is getting very old and very expensive just for some bell peppers, a few tomatoes and some fall cucumbers. The beds that need preparing are so dry that I will need a rain or lots of watering to get the soil moist and soft enough to work it up. I have to dig each bed out both spring and fall due to tree roots. If I skip one season the digging is too much for an old guy with arthritis. The peanut farmers around here are having to stop plowing them up because the ground is so dry and hard.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019   #2909
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mid 90's in the long range forecast and occasional showers here and there.
For some reason I dont think we will have a kill back winter this year but I will probably eat my words.
Not because it is so hot now it is because we have had kill back winters for the past few years.
We are due for a non kill back winter big time.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019   #2910
bower
Tomatovillian™

I was at the farm on the weekend, harvesting potatoes, peas and oats. There's corn in the field, some squash, sunflowers just recently in bloom, tons of beets. Everything is late because of the cold season, but S. told me she didn't turn the water on all summer. The tomatoes and cukes in the greenhouse got watered from rain barrels and a watering can - everything else has been aok on rain alone. A wet year even by local standards.

Just now we are expecting a 30 hour rain event to start this evening, supplied in part by moisture from Jerry although he won't be close enough to drive the wind. Along with last night's rain and today's showers, we may end up with a total of about 40 mm for the two days. That is no more than a nice soaking.