Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 5, 2019   #2926
bower
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful colors Dee! We don't have any leaves on the ground yet, so those look good to me too... thinking of garlic mulch, I would rake em right up.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2927
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Dee, wonderful colors in those pictures. Snow for you in October maybe - wow. I remember as a child having to wear a coat on Halloween several years, but no snow then...that was yesterday in the earlier 1970s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2928
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Dee, those are perfect fall pics! I'm thinking we won't have much color this year. The drought is causing leaves to just brown up and fall earlier than normal. Pickles was talking last night about changing the mower blades from regular mowing to high lift and attaching the leaf bag. It's about time to start gathering up leaves for a new mulch pile.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2929
imp
Tomatovillian™

It's feeling chilly here this morning at 67F now and a predicted 81F today. Just about time to put away the shorts and get out the sweats and sweaters!! I think we are having a real fall this year after all.
Old October 6, 2019   #2930
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

60/40 mode here
60 degrees f during the day and 40 at night.
I still have plants with green tomatoes.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2931
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cleaning up my side driveway of collectables and sweating like a pig.
It is 74F but the humidity is 90%.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2932
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Last Wednesday it was in the 80's & I went river swimming. Friday it turned to the 60's/40's weather. I have plenty of green tomatoes and hot peppers out there, so I hope we don't get frost.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2019   #2933
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I picked all the okra and red tomatoes on Fri evening and covered my broccoli just in case. It was 39F and pretty still at 6am Sat, beautiful morning and my feet were already cold after sitting quiet for an hour on deer stand. Uninsulated rubber boots feel cold to me even when I have good merino wool socks on.

I agree not much color in the woods. A lot of green to brown and falling already. The most color is from the lantern flies climbing up the tree trunks.

I'm heading over to check the broccoli now, I think some may be ready to pick. Peas flowered heavily last week too. If we do get a frost warning I will definitely be covering them because they are really going to produce, they look great. The fall plants loved this dry weather with a 5 gallon drip irrigation a couple times a week. The caged tomatoes, which I don't water unless super hot, are still going strong and it is Oct. 6th. Last year with the constant rain, no peas due to rot and weeds, and the tomatoes were pulled in early for the most part Sept.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #2934
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today's high was 95F - 35C at my house. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 76F - 24.4C. Now I'll have to wear clothes again. But seriously, I'm glad that summer temps are finally going to break - at least for the coming week.
Old October 7, 2019   #2935
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Cold front the other night came through a bought 0.2" rain - dry under a tree! Seems as if the near drought is causing leaves to just brown up and fall earlier than normal. Need rain here!
Pete
'
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #2936
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Frost the other morning.
It's over.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #2937
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

tryno12, we have drought like that here too. Leaves have been falling for about a month now, and that's too early.
Old October 7, 2019   #2938
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
bower, loved the moose intruders! Our deer have been pretty active too. Leaves on our driveway are coloring up.
Ah, fall foliage! One of the things I really miss about Pennsylvania. I can remember some long cross-state drives in the fall, especially when I was in college. Thanks for posting!
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #2939
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

taste of indian summer today.
77 degrees and wind from the south.
I opened windows to let the heat in.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2019   #2940
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

On Sunday in North Texas, we started the day at 75. By mid afternoon it was 92. Around 6 PM, a cool front blew through with some rain. Got up this morning and it was 56 degrees with highs today in the mid 70"s. I love those cool fronts even when they are one month late getting here. I got my front yard planted in rye grass today for my winter lawn. I also finally got to test my new heat pump AC system. The inside temp was 68 degrees and the heat pump took it to 72 in just a few minutes.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote