Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 9, 2013   #16
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't put anything directly into my garden if I was not absolutely positive there was never any weed killer used on it. There's an article about killer compost in the newest Mother Earth News that makes me scared to use any compost I don't know the complete source of. It seems the weed killer survived being processed into commercial livestock feed, survived passing through the animals, and survived having the resulting manure being composted. It then destroyed a lot of good crops and caused major problems for a lot of folks.....especially the company that thought they were selling some great organic compost.
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #17
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboomer View Post
Would you say the same thing about municipal wood chips? I can get tons of it for free. It's just so tempting......
There's usually a big pile of mulch (chipped branches mostly, so it's part green/moldy) at the community garden, so for several years I've been piling the new mulch in the paths and then waiting for at least 6 months before I use it in my garden beds. I'm always pulling weeds out of the paths, so I guess that means the mulch is not toxic.

But yeah, I'd test some seeds in it before having a big pile of mulch or compost delivered.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #18
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I would do a little homework on diseases first. Rachis Blight has been found on the California fan palm. Palms are also susceptible to Leafspot. It wasn't long ago that Southern California had a serious palm blight problem, and everyone was putting diseased palm debris out for pickup. That went into mulch. Texas and Florida also have Leafspot and Leaf Blight problems that ends up in the Municipal Compost and Mulch. Know your Source and what's in it. By that I means call your Cooperative Extension and ask about fungal diseases in your area that might be in your municipal mulch.

Gardening is tough enough without importing other people's problems.
Old February 16, 2013   #19
billy_prewitt
Tomatovillian™

Talked to a horticulturist at one of the largest nurseries in our area, Sebenthalers, per the info he told me its an excellent source. I'm also going to check with the horticulturist at Cox Arboretum, The local county ran mega green house and garden park. If he says its a go then I'm on my way..
Also located an area store called 'Dayton Hydroponics' while looking for a local source for promix.. This place is an excellent source for organic additives .. promax-bx, worm castings, chicken manure, even bags of bat guano, many labels mentioned in these forums for products that usually you have to order over the net. ect, ect, a store full of true organic stuff.. I asked why they use hydroponics vs organics in their name.. his response strictly a business decision.. hum.
Anyway, is now my source for biological and organic materials.
billy_prewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #20
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwired View Post
but it was some of the nicest black gold ever.

That pile of dirt brings out the little boy in me. Makes me want to grab some Tonka trucks and jump in.

Dirt looks great.....I wish I lived further out in the country......some day!
Old February 24, 2013   #21
dice
Tomatovillian™

Here is a method for testing compost or manure for contaminants.
Takes 2-3 weeks, some containers, some known-good (bagged)
container mix, and pea seeds:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/aminopyralid/bioassay.html
Old April 1, 2013   #22
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Here is a method for testing compost or manure for contaminants.
Takes 2-3 weeks, some containers, some known-good (bagged)
container mix, and pea seeds:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/aminopyralid/bioassay.html
I'm doing that now with tomato seedlings in plastic cups with holes in the bottom .. so far into 2nd week and the seedlings are growing bigger each day. But yes, If using municipal town wood chip compost/mulch even dirt is risky.. folks have their lawns /trees/ shrubs sprayed .. really too risky using free town compost for vegetable garden.. fine for flowers and lawn but i suggest buying from less risky perhaps safer compost to amend beds. Today, I bought two small humus and manure 20lb bags and 3 cubic peat moss from a local depot. I'm going to dump all my planters and remix in a wheel barrel..just one bag of that smelly humus with equal amount of the peat and the old potting mixes.. this way i'm ready for planting ..whatever is left over, i'm going to add to a brand new veggie bed yet to be tillered for this season.