Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, I thought of that too. I'm hoping the person who sent in to trade just saw the pointed end and mislabeled the pack.

I looked at several others online and so far, "Mischka" tomato looks closest to what we have growing out in the garden. I was talking to Jan about saving some seeds and trying them in one of our raised beds this fall. I need to start fermenting seeds today. Even if they grow out odd tomatoes - we would at least know.

Carolyn, I saw your reply after I posted this. Thank you
In my 2013 seed offer the new ones, seeds produced in 2012, I offered both:

(Mischka, pink indet, ovals, tangy
Tanja ( Tania), compact round red, up to 250 grams, this and above, processed seeds from Clara)

Seeds sent to me by Clara in Germany, and it's from my seed offer that others got their seeds from/

Note that Mischka is pink, not red. Tania lists the Tanja one at her website but not the Mischka one.

Carolyn
Old June 18, 2015   #17
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I only have a tiny container garden and for the first three years in a row I got one plant that turned out differently from what it was supposed to be. At least you are clearly enjoying yours, which is what counts!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I tried saving seeds from the red valentines heart shaped tomato. 99% of the seeds floated. I dumped the seeds into the compost bin. I'm going to keep trying to get seeds saved because of the attractive shape and good taste. Whatever this cross is, it is Multiflora and a heavy producer of very good tasting tomatoes.

I don't know much about crosses, but if I can possibly stabilize this tomato by growing it F2, 3, 10, ... It is worth it to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #19
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Salt, that sounds very cool. I'm glad you're not giving up on preserving your new cross! It's a neat shape and if it tastes good it will be well worth the effort. Good luck with it!

PS Just now noticed that you felt it was NOT a cross. Sorry!

Last edited by Bipetual; June 22, 2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I can't read today!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just got back from looking at all the fermenting jars I have out on a table in dappled sun/shade. It looks like we do have some viable seeds from this cross after all. I will be fermenting some more seeds either today or tomorrow in hopes to get extra seeds that I can share/trade.

We can come up with a name whenever they become OP. For now, I will refer to them as VHS Cherry = Valentines Heart Shape Cherry
Old June 21, 2015   #21
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I love the name.

On your floating seeds, did you try adding any liquid fert? I had a bunch of floating pepper seeds, and added Foliage Pro and all sunk except 4. I planted 4 per cell thinking that they wouldn't germinate but all of them did.

Perhaps the multi-floral are not good germinators.

BTW - how do you compare the taste/production of Y. R. with Ildi? I have one Ildi plant but it is so hot here so fruit setting is really limited.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Barb, my Ildi plants didn't make it through the storms. The best way I know to explain the taste of YR is acidic-tart.
Old June 21, 2015   #23
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I just got back from looking at all the fermenting jars I have out on a table in dappled sun/shade. It looks like we do have some viable seeds from this cross after all. I will be fermenting some more seeds either today or tomorrow in hopes to get extra seeds that I can share/trade.

We can come up with a name whenever they become OP. For now, I will refer to them as VHS Cherry = Valentines Heart Shape Cherry

That sounds like a good name!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote