Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 30, 2016   #16
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGardens View Post
Theyre much better than the similar looking Cosmic Eclipse. Theyre the first spitter Ive grown. So acidic, and no sweetness at all. Id grow the KJ again.
Your tomatoes are beautiful.

Good to know about CE.

I'm growing one now that is suppose to be Dragon's Eye and no way it is Dragon's Eye. Doubtful it was CE since it was a free pack.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #17
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks MissionGardens. It looks like your season is about 2 months or more ahead od mine in Southwest New Mexico. I sowed seed Jan 18 and planted out March 19 (with shade cover). 3 out of 17 git hurt by frost but survived and doing fine now.. I am shooting for fruit in early June.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #18
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Your tomatoes are beautiful.

Good to know about CE.

I'm growing one now that is suppose to be Dragon's Eye and no way it is Dragon's Eye. Doubtful it was CE since it was a free pack.
I've never heard of Dragon's Eye so unfortunately I can't help on that one. I'm curious now, though.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #19
MissionGardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
Thanks MissionGardens. It looks like your season is about 2 months or more ahead od mine in Southwest New Mexico. I sowed seed Jan 18 and planted out March 19 (with shade cover). 3 out of 17 git hurt by frost but survived and doing fine now.. I am shooting for fruit in early June.
ARG! My computer just crashed after I typed out a nice response. Here's the short version.

I use techniques to extend my season from October to about June. I do have to heat my garage and hoop houses to keep everything going but it affords me the luxury of being able to grow just about any variety I want. I don't grow over the heat of the summer here because it's just too dang hot but do grow the remainder of the year. It works out well for me.
MissionGardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #20
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Such a stunning array of tomatoes! You have some real beauties, and a wonderful assortment of tomatoes! Great job!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #21
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionGardens View Post
ARG! My computer just crashed after I typed out a nice response. Here's the short version.

I use techniques to extend my season from October to about June. I do have to heat my garage and hoop houses to keep everything going but it affords me the luxury of being able to grow just about any variety I want. I don't grow over the heat of the summer here because it's just too dang hot but do grow the remainder of the year. It works out well for me.

I'd love to see your setup. I used to live in Ahwatukee. Now I'm in Las Vegas, which has similar weather except our winters can get quite a bit colder (even freezing) but more typically down to 30 degrees at night.

I have very limited space, and trying to decide what I can do to be able to plant through the winter. I can't really build anything taller than 6 ft., as I have a HOA, and that would be a no no if seen by neighbors. I really don't have much of a chance of growing anything here that I would really like to grow until I come up with a system.

How are you heating your hoop houses. Unfortunately my garage is spoken for, but I can start seedlings in the house until they get too large. Any pictures?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #22
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!

Isn't the actual growing season here glorious? I'm looking forward to it coming again. More boxes of pretty fruit!
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #23
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneW View Post
Very nice!

Isn't the actual growing season here glorious? I'm looking forward to it coming again. More boxes of pretty fruit!
It's so bad, I actually feel sorry for my plants. Sometimes, I apologize to them while walking by.

What tomatoes have you been successful with there? Have you grown any heirlooms? All the one's they recommend for here and carry at the nursery taste awful in comparison to a good heirloom. So I am ordering seeds, and going to have to build some sort of structure (small) to get them out early, and then convert to shade cloth come end of May.
Old July 27, 2016   #24
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I've often hoped that Brad Gates' tomatoes would be especially suited for my conditions, since his farm is nearby.

How would you describe "your growing season" in terms of highs, lows, and relative humidity? Do any or all of the Wild Boar farm tomatoes seems well suited?

It will/has been triple digits for 10 days. I am growing Fred's Tie Dye, which is setting fruit.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 27, 2016 at 04:10 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #25
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
It's so bad, I actually feel sorry for my plants. Sometimes, I apologize to them while walking by.

What tomatoes have you been successful with there? Have you grown any heirlooms? All the one's they recommend for here and carry at the nursery taste awful in comparison to a good heirloom. So I am ordering seeds, and going to have to build some sort of structure (small) to get them out early, and then convert to shade cloth come end of May.
Google the extension planting guide for your county, they'll be able to tell you what to plant when. My winter is pretty warm--I grow citrus without protection. I can grow any tomato variety, I may not get buckets off a long season one but I will get some. The key is shade. I grow in partial sun and rip the tomatoes out in June, for obvious reasons. I replant in August and again in February. Heirloom cherries do really well for me, I like German lunchbox this spring and it carried on well into the summer.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2016   #26
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I've often hoped that Brad Gates' tomatoes would be especially suited for my conditions, since his farm is nearby.

How would you describe "your growing season" in terms of highs, lows, and relative humidity? Do any or all of the Wild Boar farm tomatoes seems well suited?

It will/has been triple digits for 10 days. I am growing Fred's Tie Dye, which is setting fruit.
I'm in 9a on the cusp of 8b. Our winters can go down to 20 - 25 and our summers begin climbing into triple degits beginning of June peaking at up to 115 in July and August. Today it is 113. Humidity is usually very low, usually below 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneW View Post
Google the extension planting guide for your county, they'll be able to tell you what to plant when. My winter is pretty warm--I grow citrus without protection. I can grow any tomato variety, I may not get buckets off a long season one but I will get some. The key is shade. I grow in partial sun and rip the tomatoes out in June, for obvious reasons. I replant in August and again in February. Heirloom cherries do really well for me, I like German lunchbox this spring and it carried on well into the summer.
Yes, but you achieve this via a hoop house/greenhouse with heat? provided for the cold nights, yes? I did see your hoop houses by the way. Very nice. I could not build that here. Though my plants are on the East side of my house which shelters it from later afternoon sun, still gets a healthy dose of sun until about 1:30 or 2 PM.

I know I need shade as well as some winter protection to expand my time frame. Just having a difficult time of it because of HOA and very little available space. i'm currently using large containers which I have insulated. I know I would be better off in a raised bed.

I think mostly I need to get them planted by beginning of Feb. Recommended time here is March 15th, but that doesn't leave enough time. Everything is burned to a crisp by June.
I will look into German Lunchbox and Fred's Tie Dye.
Old July 28, 2016   #27
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Today I noticed some cracking on my Fred's Tie Dye that meyer be due to heat or maybe not keeping my earthbox's reservoir full.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_183123202.jpg (242.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160727_183117270.jpg (195.6 KB, 71 views)
Old July 29, 2016   #28
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

A good haul this morning, mainly all Wild Boar Farms stuff. Berkeley Tie Dye, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Candy Sweet Icicle, Blue Chocolate and some Copper River. A nearly 1.25 lbs Berkeley Tie Dye and a 1.25 lbs Copper River. Thanks Wild Boar Farms love everything I've grown from you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040659.jpg (338.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg P1040681.jpg (196.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg P1040687.jpg (161.0 KB, 59 views)
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #29
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I plan your to try candy sweet icicle in a container next year. How big is it? How do you plan to use it?

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old July 29, 2016   #30
pixlpush
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I plan your to try candy sweet icicle in a container next year. How big is it? How do you plan to use it?
The plant itself topped out at about 6.5' for me in a 15 gallon grow bag. I've seen someone who posted one that looked much bigger. The fruit is roma sized. The plant has droopy leaves even when it's healthy. I almost mistook this for a problem early on and nearly pulled the plant, glad I didn't. It's one of the most prolific plants I've grown almost every blossom ended up with a tomato and the plant seems to just keep producing fruit. I'm enjoying them in salads and just sliced on their own with a bit of salt. They're small enough that you can just pop a whole one in your mouth too. I'll definitely plant it again next year.
pixlpush is offline   Reply With Quote