Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2012   #16
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

16 hrs of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecktom View Post
Thanks for the photo....have been thinking of a stand with PVC and this really simplifies things. How many hours a day to you have your lights on? Thanks Chris.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #17
willyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Good read on starting lights

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/fluorescent.html Plant Growth Comparison

GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum and
GE Kitchen and Bath

I use both in t8 with good results. I think t5s are not cost effective. The bulbs and fixtures are too expensive. The savings in watts used would not pay for itself in 10 years.

If you need less light for a few plants, use 1 bulb in a 2 bulb shop light fixture. Grow some herbs in the remaining space. Walmart has shop light fixtures for $17

The trick for efficient light use is to keep the lights no more than 1 inch above the plants. My plants are now touching the GE Plant and Aquarium 24/7 and doing great. The Kitchen and Bath run a little hotter so I will keep some space between them
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #18
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

Do you use fans also on those plants? I was taught always have fans on when the lights are on but I know others who grow very well without fans.

Last edited by Germinator; February 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wrong word
Germinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I use 40 watt T12 cool white and the plants grow great.
I have these, set them up this winter. I'm amazed at how good my seedlings are looking! My hubby welded up some lights on a 3 shelf rolling rack from my old clinic that closed.
The. Other change I made this year was that I used the little Jiffy pellets. I was skeptical but desperate because I needed to start that weekend and didn't have anything else to use.
My seedlings look amazing! About 100 of my best ever!
I'm starting a bunch of herbs and peppers, some eggplants, today. I'm running late on starting some stuff, was working crazy hours at a locums ( temp) job on the other side of the valley last month.
Looking forward to being able to actually having fall seedlings that can survive in the summer. Most summers, I've had to start them on my porch and they die from the heat. This year, with my lights, I can start indoors! I've been able to start winter seedlings outdoors, with the heat pads and heat. From the brick house but summer has been the tricky season.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2012   #20
willyb
Tomatovillian™

I don't use fans on my plants. The part of the house where the plants are is about 62 F. The lights keep the little guys warm. I do lift the lights and tickle them when I walk bye to encourage strong stems and rooting.
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote