Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2017   #16
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the advice Worth. You're a good teacher but I'm not such a good student! Hit a button and can't delete the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Landis[1].jpg (784.7 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by jtjmartin; July 4, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #17
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

There's really no way to know what a variety is just by looking at it. If you suspect it's silvery fir tree, the only way to know, and even this wouldn't be 100% definite, would be to grow it in the exact same conditions side by side with plants you are certain are silvery fir tree and make sure that the plants and fruit are the same in all aspects. And to be extra certain, I would do the same growout for an additional year from saved seed from bagged blossoms to make sure it's not a cross.

But unless you plan to share seed under the name silvery fir tree, the important thing is mostly whether or not you like it and whether or not it comes true from seed.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think the larger question should be,what is the Landis Brandywine and what should it be and that answers are to be found in the TGS catalog and website.

She had listed two Brandywines,one PL and one RL, and neither one was a true Brandywine,which caused a lot of confusion, I begged her to delete the but she said that folks really liked them.

But she then went to the Landis Museum in PA and got a true Brandywine RL,and here's the link for that.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/All-Heirloom-
Tomatoes/products/56/3/0

Had I known Linda was going to do that I would have sent seeds for it as could Craig L,Neil,and so many SSE listed members who got it way back in I think the early 90's But it first appeared in Tom Hauch's Heirloom Seed website, I used to buy Seeds from there,but now out of business as far as I know with a quick search.There were medical problems,his son tried to keep it runnng but it didn't workout well, since he didn't appreciate the maxim that .....thou shalt always be nice to customers..

Stupid Carolyn forgot to look in her own tomato book where it was noted that when Tom Hauch shared seeds with Steve Miller at the Landis Museum, it was Steve who found the background for it, from Chester Co in PA in1885, etc.

Carolyn