Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 24, 2011   #16
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomdaddy View Post

Cowlick's x Sweet Adelaide Purple does not exist (it will soon!)
I meant Cowlick's x Boronia f6
Would like to try this one still. What did the Boronia F6 produce for you in terms of fruit size and color?

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2011   #17
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try these when the time comes if they are available.
Japanese Black trifele x sungold (f1 is large, brown, robust, wonderful cherry)

Polish Ellis x Matt's Wild Cherry

Cowlick's Brandwine x Boronia F6 (NOT SWEET ADELAIDE PURPLE).
Thanks
Susan
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Heirloomdaddy - I am quite surprised to see you using unstabilized Dwarf Project material in your crosses - we are short of volunteers for our project as it is, and one of the things we think we were pretty clear on is using material outside of the project for one's own projects....Boronia is still a work in progress, and Sweet Adelaide Purple is something that just emerged....

Patrina and I would prefer that you not involve Dwarfs in crosses/seed shares outside of the project for reasons that I think should be pretty obvious....
Old August 18, 2011   #19
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Heirloomdaddy - I am quite surprised to see you using unstabilized Dwarf Project material in your crosses - we are short of volunteers for our project as it is, and one of the things we think we were pretty clear on is using material outside of the project for one's own projects....Boronia is still a work in progress, and Sweet Adelaide Purple is something that just emerged....

Patrina and I would prefer that you not involve Dwarfs in crosses/seed shares outside of the project for reasons that I think should be pretty obvious....

Hey Craig-

I understand your stance 100%

I was certainly planning to clear it with the heads of the project before distributing any seed. However, some of the crosses mentioned above were not able to mature- unforeseen circumstances forced me to abandon/dig up my garden just as summer was hitting the sweet spot...that includes the dwarf crosses.

Although it is my understanding that the project aims to increase the variety of dwarves available, this could have been handled differently.

Sorry for the confusion.

** I owe both you and Patrina some overdue information regarding Sweet Adelaide Purple and Boronia. I will post in the appropriate threads with info.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #20
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default strange foliage in AGP x KOSOVO F1

I've begun germination of some of these crosses in order to confirm that the cross took.

Aunt Ginnie's Purple x Kosovo is showing something unexpected....about 3/4 wispy RL and what seems to be wispy PL for the remaining 1/4.

Option A- AGP was partially self-pollinated, partially pollinated by Kosovo, and the PL's only appear to be wispy.

Option B- although RL is dominant to PL, wispy RL introduces a less cut-and-dry dominant/recessive relationship...? This one doesn't seem as likely.

Anybody have any experience with this?
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #21
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomdaddy View Post

I was certainly planning to clear it with the heads of the project before distributing any seed. However, some of the crosses mentioned above were not able to mature- unforeseen circumstances forced me to abandon/dig up my garden just as summer was hitting the sweet spot...that includes the dwarf crosses.
I'm not sure whether as a new participant you read about the no-share policy we have until varieties are stabilised, but it really is important to keep on-going work on the material from the project within the project (to be worked on by team members) since this voluntary project is totally about team work. You can have fun trying crosses, but please do keep anything arising from any of the project crosses within the project itself. It's the team aspect of this project that is sooooo unigue! And of course, anyone interested in those crosses who is not already involved in the project is more than welcome to hop on board

Of course, once varieties are released to the public such as the 9 varieties Craig listed for release in Feb/Mar 2011 then everyone is free to do whatever they wish with those varieties and the "no-share" policy no longer applies .

Patrina