Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 26, 2012   #16
babice
Tomatovillian™

MISSION: Rid babice's toms of foreign, bad-guy fungi invaders and provide toms with necessary nutrients to become healthier. Destroy the enemy! Save as many innocent tomato plants as possible.

CODE NAME: "Fungusamungus"

BATTLE PLAN

Sun 6/24: the day the invaders landed: (1) Natria spray at noon, (2) 6pm spray Actinovate + Exel LG (2TBSP) + molasses
Tue 6/26: (1) cut off as many infected leaves as possible without butchering the toms and(2) throw the infected leaves into a garbage bag
Wed 6/27: put down clean, pine bark mulch with goal of having remaining leaves 3-4 inches from mulch if possible
Thu 6/28: Daconil

Sat a.m. - Maxicrop/Molasses/Fish Emulsion soil drench

Sunday - more pruning

After - 3 more weeks of solid prevention: Actino/Exel, skip a day, Neem Oil, skip a day, Daconil, skip a day...start over.

Then I plan to to go to a twice-a-week preventative routine. Want to stop using the Daconil; rotate Actino/Exel with Green Cure and also use Neem Oil regularly due to the added insecticide benefits. I'll use the Daconil when I know it's going to be really humid or after a rain.

If you see any fungi stalking around my deck, let me know!

p.s. I also went ahead and planted the extra toms I had out front...."just in case".

Last edited by babice; July 2, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #17
BLTLOVER
Tomatovillian™

Great suggestion with the fish emulsion. Last year we had a light frost on May 17th and it nipped my plants. There were 2 plants that were especially bad and I thought I was going to have to replace them. I sprayed the plants with fish emulsion and it was unbelievable how quickly they developed new growth and bounced back!
BLTLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
MISSION: Rid babice's toms of foreign, bad-guy fungi invaders and provide toms with necessary nutrients to become healthier. Destroy the enemy! Save as many innocent tomato plants as possible.

CODE NAME: "Fungusamungus"

BATTLE PLAN

Sunday - the day the invaders landed: (1) Natria spray at noon, (2) 6pm spray Actinovate + Exel LG (2TBSP) + molasses

Tue p.m. - (1) cut off as many infected leaves as possible without butchering the toms, (check) (2) put down clean, pine bark mulch with goal of having remaining leaves 3-4 inches from mulch if possible, (check) (3) throw the infected leaves into a garbage bag (check)

Wed a.m. - another Actinovate/ExelLG/Molasses spritz with 4TBSP of Exel

Wed afternoon- Maxicrop soil drench w/regular feeding of Buddha Grow + Buddha Bloom

Thu - wx fcst way too hot and humid - leave them alone

Fri a.m. - aspirin spray spritz using castille soap as sticker

Sat a.m. - Maxicrop/Molasses/Fish Emulsion soil drench

Sun a.m. - Daconil

After - 3 more weeks of twice weekly prevention (Actino/Exel one day; Daconil the next) then reassess.

OPERATIVES: babice; friendly t-ville peeps willing to listen and give feedback

FUTURE MISSION: prevention; make environment hostile to unfriendlies

Hopefully will be able to go to a once-a-week preventative routine. Want to stop using the Daconil and go to the Neem Oil in rotation with the Actino/Exel. And then use the Daconil when I know it's going to be really humid or after a rain.

If you see any fungi stalking around my deck, let me know!
Babice, you are hilarious!!! this was such a cute post. Glad to see you back to your usual funny self.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #19
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Babice, you are hilarious!!! this was such a cute post. Glad to see you back to your usual funny self.
Hee hee! Thanks! Yeah, I usually get over things that upset me pretty quickly and my silliness come back out.

BTW ginger - have you already planned out your toms you'll be seeding soon?
Old June 27, 2012   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Babice,
Well sort of, I posted my list on the Florida TAG thread, and asked if anyone wanted any of them specifically for the plant exchange we are having in Nov.
Why do you ask?
Old June 27, 2012   #21
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Babice,
Well sort of, I posted my list on the Florida TAG thread, and asked if anyone wanted any of them specifically for the plant exchange we are having in Nov.
Why do you ask?
Oh - I was just curious. Figured you'd be dreaming of what you're going to plant, and such, right about now.
Old June 29, 2012   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

You already know me!! I am dreaming of when my garden gets going again. Can't even stand myself
Old June 29, 2012   #23
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You already know me!! I am dreaming of when my garden gets going again. Can't even stand myself
Oh yes ma'am! I don't forget a friendly face! I saved a post from you when I first become a t-vill-yan in which you helped me understand the diff between Iowa and Florida in the "tomato season". So, I've known you and your fellow Floridians must be dreaming of what you're going to grow right now! I doubt I'd be far off the mark to say that the rest of us would love to see a thread from you about what you all are planning to seed!!???!!! (hint, hint)
Old June 30, 2012   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default SEEDS on Florida TAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
Oh yes ma'am! I don't forget a friendly face! I saved a post from you when I first become a t-vill-yan in which you helped me understand the diff between Iowa and Florida in the "tomato season". So, I've known you and your fellow Floridians must be dreaming of what you're going to grow right now! I doubt I'd be far off the mark to say that the rest of us would love to see a thread from you about what you all are planning to seed!!???!!! (hint, hint)

I think I remember that too. You really have progressed, as have I! If you want to see my grow list, it is in a post on the Florida TAG thread, last page I think. I also have seeds from Carolyn137's annual seed offer, but I can't grow those for the public.
I love the cherrys and small fruited varieties the most, I find they have more intense flavor, and are usually abundant producers. That's for me, i begrudge the garden space to the stingy producers no matter how good they taste.
I have a bunch of large ones too that I'm going to trial anyway, but not all this year I think.