Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 30, 2013   #16
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Actually I am growing the eggplant in Virginia at my new farm in Floyd. I have no idea if row covers would work as I never tried them. I sprayed the plants today with a solution of hot pepper sauce, garlic, vinegar, and molasses. It's a shot in the dark but we'll see what happens. If it doesn't kill the little buggers, maybe it will at least make them suffer!

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #17
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Actually I am growing the eggplant in Virginia at my new farm in Floyd. I have no idea if row covers would work as I never tried them. I sprayed the plants today with a solution of hot pepper sauce, garlic, vinegar, and molasses. It's a shot in the dark but we'll see what happens. If it doesn't kill the little buggers, maybe it will at least make them suffer!

TomNJ/VA
Wow Floyd is right around the corner from me! Hello! I joined a CSA near there called 7 springs Farm; they grow a TON of eggplant out there, organically, without problems. They also have a store for all organic/natural garden supplies at bulk prices...since you are close you should check them out. If you look them up online and email them, they will mail you a catalogue.

Next year I am trying the row covers early, although hopefully, the bugs won't be so bad. Last year I had flea beetles, used some DE and never had any further issues. I grew lots of eggplants. This year, nothing worked and they are all like wispy, lacey hankies now

Lindsey
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #18
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
Wow Floyd is right around the corner from me! Hello! I joined a CSA near there called 7 springs Farm;
Lindsey
Hi Lindsey,

Seven Springs farm is just a few miles from us - I bought 300 lbs of limestone from them a few months ago. I am just off Cannady School Rd., drop me a PM if you would like to stop by and see the garden.

My home made spray seems to have reduced the flea beetles, but unfortunately it also killed the eggplant! Oh well, they were probably goners anyway. Too late to start more so I'll pick up some plants up at a local store and try again. Love eggplant parm!

Just bought 30 bales of hay today to finish my mulching, after which I declare the garden "in".

TomNJ/VA
Old June 1, 2013   #19
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tom,

You will notice effectiveness with row covers/plant covers thwarting flea beetles. Another deterrent is to plant in grow bags, as the height is difficult for and therefore a deterrent.

Previous posting lists Diatomaceous Earth, and that should be your mulch plan, but as mentioned, rain does reduce effectiveness, so replace after rain.
Spinosad has been discussed elsewhere, and though chewing caterpillars are most affected,
I do spray eggplants when I see holes and I think it has some effect, and is OMRI.

Good luck, Randy
Old June 1, 2013   #20
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Lindsey,

Seven Springs farm is just a few miles from us - I bought 300 lbs of limestone from them a few months ago. I am just off Cannady School Rd., drop me a PM if you would like to stop by and see the garden.

My home made spray seems to have reduced the flea beetles, but unfortunately it also killed the eggplant! Oh well, they were probably goners anyway. Too late to start more so I'll pick up some plants up at a local store and try again. Love eggplant parm!

Just bought 30 bales of hay today to finish my mulching, after which I declare the garden "in".

TomNJ/VA
I definetly will~! We love the floyd area and all the goodies they can grow there I need hay for mulch but I have decided my garden is so terrible this year (new house new land) and I have wasted so much money- that I am not going to put much more into it this season. All the saved money has to go to Farmers market food/raised beds. But I usually do buy from Seven Springs. We live at Smith Mountain Lake, so its quite a drive for us, but they always meet us half way in Roanoke.

I have given up on the eggplant. Truth is I only grow them because they are so pretty to look at. We like them fried which is too fattening to eat too often.
Old June 1, 2013   #21
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

New house and land for us as well! Bought the house in October and had a neighbor plow the 50' x 80' garden in November, just in time to plant 400 garlics. My 60 tomato plants look great - that's what is most important! Love the soil and climate here!

TomNJ/VA
Old June 1, 2013   #22
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
New house and land for us as well! Bought the house in October and had a neighbor plow the 50' x 80' garden in November, just in time to plant 400 garlics. My 60 tomato plants look great - that's what is most important! Love the soil and climate here!

TomNJ/VA
I love it here too! I am getting used to all these pests though. In Alabama I never saw so many bugs! But not many pest garden problems! Here...everything wants to eat my garden! Since we moved here I have been liking Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for some seed and my garlic. It's adapted to our environment. But I haven't planted that many. Just tinkering about really...getting comfortable with growing garlic, which I am realizing is quite easy.

Lindsey