Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 17, 2012   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
Utah State University Analytical Laboratories has a wide range of options for soil tests. See:

http://www.usual.usu.edu/

From the menu on the left column, click on "Prices", then on "forms"

At this point, I think your most critical parameters are pH and Salinity. The combined test is $4.50. In heavy clay soils with poor drainage, salts tend to accumulate and crust near the surface (sodification), making the soil even less friable. High levels of calcium will likely lead to high pH through the formation of calcium carbonate.

It becomes a vicious cycle of ever increasing salinity and alkalinity. If your soil test does show high salinity, the #1 suggestion they will make is to leach the soil heavily with water. Before that will work, you'll need to make sure the beds have plenty of organic matter so the water can drain on through.

Other methods for combating salinity (specifically high sodium) include: amending with calcium sulfate (gypsum), elemental sulpur, and/or peat moss. I'm guessing you don't want to add anything that might raise the pH any higher.

Good luck!
Update. After soaking this soil for a few weeks, it has developed a crust of salt on top!
I'm scooping most of it out, will be using a small amount as bottom filler, mix with peat moss and what worked very well last year, my composted horse manure, along with some sand scraped up at the horse barn.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2012   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

I am not recommending this product, I know nothing about it (including
how much it costs), but they do have a good explanation of what happens
with alkaline soils and irrigation water:

http://www.turf2max.com/soil-restoration.html
Old February 26, 2012   #18
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Has anybody ever heard of or used that turf max product? Price is reasonable, very tempting to try some.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote