Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 8, 2015   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Ummm... he is currently and has been a global moderator here, since day one.
And day 1 was in January of 2006.

And there's a nice thread about his new book he wrote which is in General Discussion and if you look at the Dwarf Project Forum you'll see that he's Co coordinator for the Dwarf Project and can read about all the great Dwarf varieties that have been released, and I think there's even a thread in General Dicussion where someone was asking about which Dwarfs did OK in small containers.

So yes, Craig is very much alive and well and is currently making book trips to many places and has given his schedule as well.

Craig and I have known each other since about 1989 through our activities with SSE ( Seed Savers Exchange) and he remainds through all these years as perhaps, not just my best tomato friend but perhaps my best all time friend.

Carolyn
Old March 8, 2015   #17
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So yes, Craig is very much alive and well and is currently making book trips to many places and has given his schedule as well.

Carolyn
So the rumors are not true?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #18
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

If you like okra, it grew well for me in a small container.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #19
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Rfdillon - if you're looking for dwarf seeds, visit Tatiana's site to see who has them available -- tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/All_Dwarf_Tomatoes

If you click on the variety's name, it'll take you to the info page and near the top there will be a tab for Seed Availability which shows you who is selling it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #20
gardener022
Tomatovillian™

I was a member years ago now that i am retired you guys will see me a lot more. I am doing a lot of container gardening these days and i will have a ton of questions.
gardener022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2015   #21
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Okra was mentioned up above. If you like Okra, get yourself some Baby Bubba Okra. They will produce like crazy in a 2 gallon pot. I grew them in a one gallon. They only get a few feet tal and make lots of clusters of Okra pods all at once. Plus you don't get itchy hands from this cultivar either and the pods grow the same size as my other Okras did.

Yep, one bean plant per pot will do well too. I grew one bean plant per pot in a one gallons last year and the plants did well, having a two gallon would have been better I was mainly going for seed and not production. Worked great too, until I was gone for a bit and somebody decided to pick my whole crop and left me only one bean pod they had missed on a plant. I was not too happy as I wanted the seed. I just hoped whoever it was was somebody hungry and they got a bit of food.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
There are a lot of micro tomato varieties that will make fruit in a pot that small. Terrenzo, Red Robin, Tiny Tim, Bitonto, Tumbling Tom all come to mind. I'm sure there are a lot more.
Agree.
Plus some ornamental peppers.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #23
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to grow the Pendulina tomato in a hanging basket this year for fun. I think it said red on the packet (I received it in a trade), but Tatiana's tomatobase has orange and yellow listed also. If it gets too hot at your place, I imagine you could grow it in a very sunny room inside.
Old April 20, 2015   #24
Don S
Tomatovillian™

I've grown peppers, both sweet and hot, in 2-gal pots for several years.

For dwarf tomato seeds, check Victory Seeds, Heirloom Seeds or Tatania's Tomatobase web sites.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

One of my dwarfs from a seed swap is Yellow Pygmy, a yellow cherry. It's looking like a micro-dwarf, and I think it would be very happy in a 1-2 gallon container.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote