Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2012   #16
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Just to throw more fuel on the fire; There is OTV. Tomato fest calls it "brandywine OTV" and says it is pink. Every body else says it is red. I've had problems with his descriptions before.
I think the name brandywine should be barred from future use, like retired football player numbers. Call them any thing you want, but please, no more brandywines.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
Just to throw more fuel on the fire; There is OTV. Tomato fest calls it "brandywine OTV" and says it is pink. Every body else says it is red. I've had problems with his descriptions before.
I think the name brandywine should be barred from future use, like retired football player numbers. Call them any thing you want, but please, no more brandywines.
This has been discussed here before.

It was named by Craig and myself OTV Brandywine. It is not pink. In retrospect we perhaps should not have named it that but it was the result of a cross , natural, that occurred in Craig's garden and Yellow Brandywine was the female parent.

Craig sent out seeds for Yellow Brandywine and from one person got back seeds and a picture showing a great red beefsteak with PL foliage. I offered to try and make selections and see if I could get it back and did so b'c at the time I still had my field at the old farm with lots of room while Craig had just a back yard.

I did get it stable at the F5.

You'll never get folks to stop using Brandywine as part of a variety name. AS I said, we shouldn't have done it and that was many years ago, and many do it b'c of the presumed lure of the word Brandywine, we did not, we did it b'c the female parent was Yellow Brandywine.
Old April 9, 2012   #18
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
This has been discussed here before.

It was named by Craig and myself OTV Brandywine. It is not pink. In retrospect we perhaps should not have named it that but it was the result of a cross , natural, that occurred in Craig's garden and Yellow Brandywine was the female parent.

Craig sent out seeds for Yellow Brandywine and from one person got back seeds and a picture showing a great red beefsteak with PL foliage. I offered to try and make selections and see if I could get it back and did so b'c at the time I still had my field at the old farm with lots of room while Craig had just a back yard.

I did get it stable at the F5.

You'll never get folks to stop using Brandywine as part of a variety name. AS I said, we shouldn't have done it and that was many years ago, and many do it b'c of the presumed lure of the word Brandywine, we did not, we did it b'c the female parent was Yellow Brandywine.

Perhaps I better explain a little further...I like the fact that you named it OTV and not BW some thing or other. Same thing for cow lick. If we want to know where they came from we can look it up.
BTW; OTV is one of my better liked tomatoes.
Old April 9, 2012   #19
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Coloken,
Everyone is entitled to their own opinons, however, Cowlicks Brandywine was a true Brandywine, just much superior to ALL the other Brandywines I had grown or grown since. There was never any attempt to put it on the market and I was quite up front about the story behind it.
I only shared it with friends from different tomato forums, and that was done initially with those that had problems getting decent yeilds from Brandywines they had grown in the past.
Over the years, they've become very popular world-wide, most prefer them to the more popular Brandywine-Sudduths, or Pink Brandywines as they generally ripen sooner, taste better, are much more productive, usually producing right up to a killing frost. That first Cowlick, produced over 100 lbs of tomatoes off a single plant. That fact alone made it a standout.
I also admit that the past few years, it has been beaten by my Brandywine-Glicks for larger and perhaps tastier tomatoes, but they both beat Brandywine-Sudduths and Pink Brandywine year after year.
Others, like Red Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, Black Brandywine, Purple Brandywine, and the Brandywine crosses like Liz Birt, Dora, Bear Creek, Gary O'Sena and others, including Earl's Faux, Ed's Millenium, JD's Special C-Tex, don't even enter the equation.
Am I sorry for sending seed from my Cowlicks to growers around the world? No not at all. I think many have gained from it. They are popular on 5 contenents that I know of, and have even done well in places like the Phillipines, which really amazed me.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried growing them yourself? Or do you just like stirring the pot with a big stick?
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #20
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried growing them yourself? Or do you just like stirring the pot with a big stick?
Camo[/QUOTE]
In past years and two years ago I grew several branywines, including cow lick. Wasn't impressed with any of them . Best was OTV. The the PL and RL reds showed promise. I have starts for the three this year. Understand my conditions here are a lot different than others so what does for me is not for the whole world. Stir the pot,of course maybe just a little. I think I am just over blown with the name brandywine when they do so poorly FOR ME.
Old April 9, 2012   #21
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

I have been wondering this same thing! To further complicate matters...

Several years ago, I grew a plant called Red Brandywine (or was is Brandywine Red? or does is matter? hahaha!) that I believe was from a pack of NK seed. I still have the pack, though it's almost a decade old now. I was surprised to find that Red Brandywine was just a hair shy of the glory of Sudduth's. It was delicious and productive. It had the Brandywine taste and similar fruit, except for color. Now, I never checked the skin, didn't know about that back then, but it was redder than the pink-fruited Sudduth's. It wasn't a good tomato. It was a sublime tomato. And it wasn't a globe, as I understand the true variety to be. If it hadn't been RL and red, I'd guess it was just a mislabeled Brandywine.

My conclusion: 'wrong' Red Brandywine(s) need a name!
Old April 9, 2012   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by celerystalksmidnite View Post
I have been wondering this same thing! To further complicate matters...

Several years ago, I grew a plant called Red Brandywine (or was is Brandywine Red? or does is matter? hahaha!) that I believe was from a pack of NK seed. I still have the pack, though it's almost a decade old now. I was surprised to find that Red Brandywine was just a hair shy of the glory of Sudduth's. It was delicious and productive. It had the Brandywine taste and similar fruit, except for color. Now, I never checked the skin, didn't know about that back then, but it was redder than the pink-fruited Sudduth's. It wasn't a good tomato. It was a sublime tomato. And it wasn't a globe, as I understand the true variety to be. If it hadn't been RL and red, I'd guess it was just a mislabeled Brandywine.

My conclusion: 'wrong' Red Brandywine(s) need a name!
The names should be Red Brandywine, Yellow Bradywine, etc, but when you look in a catalog, especially, you'll see Brandywine, Red, Brandywine, Yellow, etc.

I've not heard anyone say that RB tastes almost like Brandywine, for Red Brandywine is in no way related to Brandywine. I've always loved RB but it's RL, not PL and, as I said, in no way related to any of the other Brandywines.

Brandywine will have a clear epidermis and Red Brandywine will have a yellow epidermis.

The true RB is not a globe.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...j1l11l0.frgbld.

Above is a link to Google IMAGES and just put your mouse pointer over a picture and a drop down will tell you the source of the picture.

I don't agree with all of the pictures but on page 6 find the one from Victory Seeds and I think that's close enough.
Old April 9, 2012   #23
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Hey, that looks like my Red Brandywine! Who knows, maybe I grew the right one? Thanks, Carolyn. Now where did I get the idea they were globe?

There is no accounting for taste buds, especially mine! hahaha! I did not grow them in the same season, but I do remember thinking, 'that's why they're both called Brandywine!' Perhaps it was the power of suggestion. *shrug*
Old April 9, 2012   #24
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

I'll tell you another thing, too, and this is kind of an embarrassing admittance: it seems like I've been operating under the wrong understanding of 'beefsteak.' I did not understand the distinction between beefsteak and oblate. I know what oblate means. I just thought beefsteak was a fairly large category that included larger oblate varieties and points beyond. I don't feel too bad about it because I bet I'm not the only one suffering from this confusion and have probably read some incorrect descriptions from various seed companies. Now I wish more than ever that I had your book. I think I'd better wait til next month after all the seed purchasing this one. Good to know it's still available for less than a grand in some places.